Crowd Sourced Science-Biome Reports Everywhere! (August 11) [6.0]

DuoDex

What do you want next?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want next?

• Expand, with an eye towards support for other science mods.
    • Make contributing easier!
    • Add support for the planet pack mods.

Hmm, ModuleManager* seems to have suffered a bit of a setback. Looks like the developer has taken the decision make the ModuleManager add-on unavailable at the moment.

Here's a link to a post: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-0-90-Module-Manager-2-5-6-%28Dec-21%29-v-1c-Edition-2-5-5-is-broken-Update-it?p=1648309&viewfull=1#post1648309

One of my favourite things about KSP is it's amazingly rich and diverse 3rd party modding community, talented people like sarbian deserve (and get) tremendous respect from me and other devs and players of KSP.

But as is often the case, it only takes the moronic 0.00001% to post something hideous, vitriolic and totally unnecessary to undo many months of trust-building.

*(ModuleManager is a prerequisite of the highly popular Crowd-Sourced Science. Which I got half-way through installing only to find that MM has gone off-grid for now.)

Edited by wossname
Clarification

I forked the repo and was having a look through the newly organized structure (nice job harryyoung) and a thought occurred to me. Since the entire surface of each planetary body is now one biome or another as of 0.90, then the 'default' folder isn't a fallback for biomes. It is a fallback for parts added by other mods. If this is right doesn't that make the individual .cfg files in these folders unnecessary since mods won't be adding stock science instruments?

Hmm, ModuleManager* seems to have suffered a bit of a setback. Looks like the developer has taken the decision make the ModuleManager add-on unavailable at the moment.

Here's a link to a post: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-0-90-Module-Manager-2-5-6-%28Dec-21%29-v-1c-Edition-2-5-5-is-broken-Update-it?p=1648309&viewfull=1#post1648309

One of my favourite things about KSP is it's amazingly rich and diverse 3rd party modding community, talented people like sarbian deserve (and get) tremendous respect from me and other devs and players of KSP.

But as is often the case, it only takes the moronic 0.00001% to post something hideous, vitriolic and totally unnecessary to undo many months of trust-building.

*(ModuleManager is a prerequisite of the highly popular Crowd-Sourced Science. Which I got half-way through installing only to find that MM has gone off-grid for now.)

Here is a backup link for MM 2.5.6:

github.com/Starwaster/ModuleManager/releases/download/v2.5.6/ModuleManager-2.5.6.zip

Source

https://github.com/Starwaster/ModuleManager

[rage] Goddamit, I swear EVERY SINGLE TIME there's some ***hole douchebag on the forums they proceed to .... off EVERY SINGLE MODDER on the forums, resulting in 64bit locks (I don't care, I don't play 64bit and EVEN IF I DID it's their decision), modders leaving the forums, and all that. Seriously, Squad. You're going to have to kiss ModuleManager, MechJeb, FAR, Realchutes, DRE, and a bunch of other realism mods if you don't jump on this more quickly. [/rage]

I'm putting this on 'Development Paused' until something happens with MM that allows me to say 'Development Resumed' or 'DEAD'

Noooooo! Please don't take away another add-on because of this*. I understand your point of view but I also know how hard it is to be a forum moderator. They are also helping the community too (often for zero money) just like you heroic developers are. They cannot be everywhere at once. Please don't let this turn into a fireball.

Now I feel really horrible for mentioning this, I didn't want to add fuel to the fire, only to alert newbie "CSS" users that they might have a bit of difficulty until the original ModuleManager problem is resolved (as I hope it will be soon, all being well).

:(

(* I realise that MM is a dependency of CSS, but the "public relations" of such a response might cause strife. I really care about KSP, it's a big deal for me, I don't want it to suffer)

Edited by wossname

Noooooo! Please don't take away another add-on because of this. I understand your point of view but I also know how hard it is to be a forum moderator. They are also helping the community too (often for zero money) just like you heroic developers are. They cannot be everywhere at once. Please don't let this turn into a fireball.

Now I feel really horrible for mentioning this, I didn't want to add fuel to the fire, only to alert newbie "CSS" users that they might have a bit of difficulty until the original ModuleManager problem is resolved (as I hope it will be soon, all being well).

:(

I understand your position, but there's not much we can do when a dependency is removed. CSS will still work right now, though.

[rage] Goddamit, I swear EVERY SINGLE TIME there's some ***hole douchebag on the forums they proceed to .... off EVERY SINGLE MODDER on the forums, resulting in 64bit locks (I don't care, I don't play 64bit and EVEN IF I DID it's their decision), modders leaving the forums, and all that. Seriously, Squad. You're going to have to kiss ModuleManager, MechJeb, FAR, Realchutes, DRE, and a bunch of other realism mods if you don't jump on this more quickly. [/rage]

I'm putting this on 'Development Paused' until something happens with MM that allows me to say 'Development Resumed' or 'DEAD'

Sarbian only stopped working on MM, but without MM all the mods that use it will have to pause their dev when 0.91 hits

I understand your position, but there's not much we can do when a dependency is removed. CSS will still work right now, though.

...If MM and CSS are already installed on your PC, I suppose. Thankfully I suspect that is the majority.

Sarbian only stopped working on MM, but without MM all the mods that use it will have to pause their dev when 0.91 hits

...Seems that might be a fairly significant problem!

Sarbian has been posting offering support on some of his other mod threads since that post. I suspect that, with the Ahole-Dbag in question being thoroughly banned, he'll cool off and put things back.

Edit: Apparently not actually banned? Feh.

Edited by Jarin

His Kerbal Highness Sir Scott Manley has repeatedly recommended the CSS mod and several other MM-dependant mods on his seminal youtube channel. It would be a sad thing to lose such a resource.

Edited by wossname
Gratuitous grovelling

his kerbal highness sir scott manley has repeatedly recommended the css mod and several other mm-dependant mods on his seminal youtube channel. It would be a sad thing to lose such a resource.

what where?

In a very recent episode, in fact here's a link to the exact time he mentions it...

OK so it is a VERY fleeting mention, but it was enough to remind me about it.

He has talked about it in glowing terms in one of his old "Interstellar Quest" videos too but I cannot remember the episode number, it was a long time back, perhaps near Ep30 or so? He went on about it for a few minutes if memory serves. The science messages were pretty hilarious, which is why I wanted this so much.

Edited by wossname

Totally agree... Sarbain is a boss. And I'm totally sick of this 64 bit nonsense. I really would love if 64 bit would work and I hope it will at some point. If there is testing I can do to help figure out what's up let me know... but whole reason I play 32 bit is because Sarbain, StupidChris, and Ferram4 says 64 bit is broke. I know enough about coding to know to cede expertise to those that know far more than I do. If they say it is a gummy mess that makes their life hard, I'll stay in 32 bit land unless they want people to test something for them in 64 bit. It really is that simple. They provide free awesomeness so I'm not going to make their life hard if I can help it, easier if possible. Certainly not going to argue with them about it or question their motives or decisions.

That all said... previous versions of Crowd Sourced Science did not need module manager. It came as a replacement ScienceDefs.cfg that you wrote over top of the standard one in GameData/Squad/Resources/ . It certainly worked though I agree that the Module Manager route is a better one.

Yes ive got the pre release version (1.4.0).

Now i was going to list the mods im using but this morning I've decided to start a new game with different mods this time and out of curiosity I've tried to see if the new logs worked.

I've put a capsule on the launch pad and did a crew report and finally jebediah said something new (it was the first log from the cfg file of this mod).

I then went and created 2 more rockets and landed them in 2 different biomes (grassland and highlands) and i did the crew report. The results were the same, it was the same line i got on the launchpad.

Thats 3 different crafts in 3 different biomes with the same log.

From what i understand, shouldn't i get different logs?

The same thing is happening to me. Is this normal?

I'm totally sick of this 64 bit nonsense. I really would love if 64 bit would work and I hope it will at some point.

Don't know what you're talking about. 64-bit works perfectly. It's your operating system choice you need to fix.

Yes ive got the pre release version (1.4.0).

Now i was going to list the mods im using but this morning I've decided to start a new game with different mods this time and out of curiosity I've tried to see if the new logs worked.

I've put a capsule on the launch pad and did a crew report and finally jebediah said something new (it was the first log from the cfg file of this mod).

I then went and created 2 more rockets and landed them in 2 different biomes (grassland and highlands) and i did the crew report. The results were the same, it was the same line i got on the launchpad.

Thats 3 different crafts in 3 different biomes with the same log.

From what i understand, shouldn't i get different logs?

Same thing happened to me, is this normal?

(Sorry about other post, never used forums before.)