Crowd Sourced Science-Biome Reports Everywhere! (August 11) [6.0]

DuoDex

What do you want next?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want next?

• Expand, with an eye towards support for other science mods.
    • Make contributing easier!
    • Add support for the planet pack mods.

• 4 weeks later...

Awhile ago I put in a request to have extra science reports for my telemetry experiment, but another forum user noticed [link] that the most recent update for crowd sourced science actually appears to add the experiment by itself rather than just add additional reports if installed.

Is this intended behavior? I don't particularly mind that the experiment is there (it's hardly an original idea) but it seems like adding an experiment is out of scope for this mod and has confused at least one user.

Seconding what Lord Aurelius said (in StockScienceProbeTweaks.cfg), and adding on to that StockScienceTweaks.cfg, which changes the Barometer experiment. Not necessarily bad things, but does feel out of scope. I was certainly surprised to find them here.

This is a serious post, but please understand this first part is just for silliness; post real, not actually offended, please don't hurt me.

Ok I finally figured it all out. Three guilty parties stand accused! Lord Aurelius, DuoDex, and Nightingale, you are accused of mod-mayhem!

Lord Aurelius - Crime: Duplicitous Duplication!

DuoDex - Crime: Partially Defined Experiments!

Nightingale - Crime: Broad-spectrum Experiment Gathering!

Issue: Field Research Contract Pack asks for "Probe Report" experiments.

Problem: No such report exists.

Reason:

• Lord Aurelius' Mod Stock Science Tweaks used to refer to them as Probe Reports but changed them to Telemetry Reports.

1. Installing Stock Science Tweaks does not solve the problem because you only get a Telemetry Report button which does not satisfy the contract.

2. If you have the SETI Community Tech Tree mod, it already incorporates Aurelius' SST mod, which gives you a duplicate Telemetry button; this one won't work either because SETI CTT's config file uses the updated Telemetry naming instead of Probe.

• The Probe Report is for Lord Aurelius's Stock Science Tweaks. The fact that they are showing up for you is actually
    due to a bug in Crowd Sourced Science, which DuoDex has already fixed (but not released).

1. The Crowd Sourced Science mod has an incorrect config file
GameData\CrowdSourcedScience\planets\000_default\StockScienceProbeTweaks.cfg

This file only partially defines an experiment called Probe Report, but because it is not a fully defined experiment, there is no way to perform this action in the game.

• Nightingale's config files for the Field Research use:
    experiments = AllExperiments().ExcludeAll([ evaReport, crewReport ]

This method was grabbing the broken Probe Report, mistaking it for a valid experiment for contracts.

Solutions:

• End Users Like Me: Remove the above mentioned StockScienceProbeTweaks.cfg file from Crowd Sourced Science so it won't show up in contracts. If you already have a contract asking for a Probe Report, you need to cancel it since it can't be completed. Further contracts will then ask for Telemetry Reports instead.
  • Lord Aurelius: Please get in touch with SETI CTT and see if you can find a way to avoid the button duplication if both mods are installed. Thanks!
  • DuoDex: You are already aware of the issue, but perhaps you could add a note in your main post until it is fixed? Or maybe even a super-tiny patch hotfix that simply removes the offending file? Or release the next update :P
  • Nightingale: Uh, nothing really. The way you grab all experiments is the right way to do things. You get a gold star!

​Thank you all for your hard work and awesome mods. I meant no disrespect in this post and I hope no one is offended. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated in making mods to make KSP more fun!

If anybody is interested You can temporarily fix Your broken contract to allow for completion.

paste this code is into "GameData\CrowdSourcedScience\planets\000_default\S tockScienceProbeTweaks.cfg"

it will make the failed experiment work. The source is taken from the Stock Science Tweaks ProbeReport.cfg (I just switched telemtryReport to probeReport)

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#vesselType[Probe]]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceExperiment

experimentID = probeReport

experimentActionName = Probe Report
resetActionName = Discard Telemetry
reviewActionName = Review Telemetry

useStaging = False
useActionGroups = True
hideUIwhenUnavailable = True
rerunnable = True

xmitDataScalar = 1.0
}
}

After that it's probably best to remove the offending file.

Oops.

I forgot to add a check for your mod.

I have deleted the offending files until I have the time to add a check for your mod, Aurelius. Thanks for the heads up.

Hey DuoDex, any chance you can release a new version with the above fix? I am getting way too many support requests over this.

Dont know if this is already fixed, I guess so, because I think I accepted the contract before one of your updates, but I have an instance of the Field Research: Biome study of Kerbin's Badlands that contains a Probe Report, guess this is from one of the supported mods - which I have not installed to my knowledge.

• Lord Aurelius' Mod Stock Science Tweaks used to refer to them as Probe Reports but changed them to Telemetry Reports.

Only one problem with that, I'm not using Stock Science Tweaks. I'm fairly sure I don't use any mods that change stock science parts or add them.

Note: Scansat, not sure if FR detect one of the orbital scan completion science analysis as a probe report, as that is the only thing with any Science stuff, I have installed.

Note 2: I did have RoverDude's PackRat rover installed, it has a Camera, but I think FR correctly detect that one as camera.

Badlands Biome Mission.

Probe Report - Uhm, Probes doesn't do reports, also the mission requires crew reports, not very logical to have probe and manned mixed up.

I love this mod, huge thank you! But I have a question, many of the early contracts around KSC are asking me to do a "Probe Experiment". I can't figure out what this is asking for. I've tried crew/eva/telemetry(remotetech)/temperature/seismic/ionizer/materialbay/goo, all both manned and unmanned, trasmitted and kept. Nothing works! I've tried clicking on various things to find a "run test" or some such button, but nothing yet. Is a probe report part of a mod that I don't have? Or am I missing something (probably really obvious in plain sight lol)? Thanks for any help!
This looks fantastic, nightingale, really wonderful. I haven't had much time to play around with it but it looks really solid! My only real issue isn't even really on you, it's from CrowdSourcedScience. Turns out the most recent version added this little file, which I wasn't aware of, and meant this pack gave me some surprising "probe report" tests. Who knew!

http://i.imgur.com/GsZbmNz.png

http://i.imgur.com/RjK6dQv.png

Anyway, real question: Is there a reason why the KSC science pays out per item while the rest pay out only upon full completion?

This is a serious post, but please understand this first part is just for silliness; post real, not actually offended, please don't hurt me.

Ok I finally figured it all out. Three guilty parties stand accused! Lord Aurelius, DuoDex, and Nightingale, you are accused of mod-mayhem!

Lord Aurelius - Crime: Duplicitous Duplication!

DuoDex - Crime: Partially Defined Experiments!

Nightingale - Crime: Broad-spectrum Experiment Gathering!

Issue: Field Research Contract Pack asks for "Probe Report" experiments.

Problem: No such report exists.

Reason:

1. Installing Stock Science Tweaks does not solve the problem because you only get a Telemetry Report button which does not satisfy the contract.

2. If you have the SETI Community Tech Tree mod, it already incorporates Aurelius' SST mod, which gives you a duplicate Telemetry button; this one won't work either because SETI CTT's config file uses the updated Telemetry naming instead of Probe.

1. The Crowd Sourced Science mod has an incorrect config file
GameData\CrowdSourcedScience\planets\000_default\StockScienceProbeTweaks.cfg

This file only partially defines an experiment called Probe Report, but because it is not a fully defined experiment, there is no way to perform this action in the game.

• Nightingale's config files for the Field Research use:
    experiments = AllExperiments().ExcludeAll([ evaReport, crewReport ]

This method was grabbing the broken Probe Report, mistaking it for a valid experiment for contracts.

Solutions:

• End Users Like Me: Remove the above mentioned StockScienceProbeTweaks.cfg file from Crowd Sourced Science so it won't show up in contracts. If you already have a contract asking for a Probe Report, you need to cancel it since it can't be completed. Further contracts will then ask for Telemetry Reports instead.
  • Lord Aurelius: Please get in touch with SETI CTT and see if you can find a way to avoid the button duplication if both mods are installed. Thanks!
  • DuoDex: You are already aware of the issue, but perhaps you could add a note in your main post until it is fixed? Or maybe even a super-tiny patch hotfix that simply removes the offending file? Or release the next update :P
  • Nightingale: Uh, nothing really. The way you grab all experiments is the right way to do things. You get a gold star!

​Thank you all for your hard work and awesome mods. I meant no disrespect in this post and I hope no one is offended. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated in making mods to make KSP more fun!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Which issue is that?

Yes, CKAN is not currently updated, but I might be taking it off there due to personal reasons I have against it.

Edit : while I deliberate, feel free to update the metadata yourselves if you feel so inclined.

Should I at all be concerned about the \GameData\CrowdSourcedScience\temp\ folder? It contains BarometerTweaks.cfg and ProbeReport.cfg and I'm just left uncertain if it was intended to be released with that folder in the .zip and figured I might as well ask for clarification. Thanks! :-)

Should I at all be concerned about the \GameData\CrowdSourcedScience\temp\ folder? It contains BarometerTweaks.cfg and ProbeReport.cfg and I'm just left uncertain if it was intended to be released with that folder in the .zip and figured I might as well ask for clarification. Thanks! :-)

If you're not getting any unexpected behavior, it should be fine.

Yeah ProbeReport.cfg fixes something so Probes can do Telemetry Reports from various locations and Biomes.

The Barometer one IIRC allows Barometers to get reading in space. (even though its only going to report "Nope no air here" :D

Hey, I'm trying to make science reports work for the new Real solar system and encountered an issue you might be able to help me with. I put a bunch of reports into the appropriate .cfg but only the first one in line gets displayed even after several repeats of the experiment. Is the game just going into the file and takes the first report that fits the situation?

Do you know how to fix that? It would be extremely helpful in getting Realistic Progression going.

Thx a lot

code: http://pastebin.com/Q0er08fb (look for the Moon ones, I'm testing there)

Sry, did not work. Any other ideas what could be happening?

I appreciate you help, thx for that

PS: I love your Avatar. Fezzes, Bow ties and stetsons are cool!

Edited by Warp11