Crowd Sourced Science-Biome Reports Everywhere! (August 11) [6.0]

DuoDex

What do you want next?  

746 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want next?

• Expand, with an eye towards support for other science mods.
    • Make contributing easier!
    • Add support for the planet pack mods.

10 minutes ago, Three_Pounds said:

If you have more clues about exactly what is happening and could write a bug report, maybe someone could "fix" the *.dll if it needs fixing.

No clue yet. I debunked my own theory it was a mod conflict, because it happens to EVA reports also. It isn't limited to parts, affected by modded or not

Just as well, here's my modlist:

Chatterer
Kopernicus
SmokeScreen
DistantObject
DistantObject-default
CommunityResourcePack
RealPlume-StockConfigs
EngineLighting
ModularFlightIntegrator
RealPlume
PlanetShine
PlanetShine-Config-Default
ModuleManager
Kerbalism
FerramAerospaceResearch
CrowdSourcedScience
SVT-Windows
StockVisualEnhancements
SVE-HighResolution
Scatterer
Scatterer-sunflare
Scatterer-config
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
MouseAimFlight

Does anyone know if this is compatible with the Galileo planet pack? I've tried installing it and it doesn't seem to work, but in Scott Manley's Galileo Conquest play through he seems to have different and better science reports than the standard ones and this is the only mod that I've been able to find that would do something like that. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/8/2017 at 9:30 PM, Space_Dog said:

Does anyone know if this is compatible with the Galileo planet pack? I've tried installing it and it doesn't seem to work, but in Scott Manley's Galileo Conquest play through he seems to have different and better science reports than the standard ones and this is the only mod that I've been able to find that would do something like that. Thanks for the help.

Right now it isn't compatible with KSP itself, so...

Just now, strudo76 said:

Regarding 1.3 compatibility: CSS 4.1 is 100% compatible with 1.3, thanks to everyone who helped update it!

You are very observant. However, I have my doubts about the functionality of this mod. You can read my thoughts on the last page. :)

23 minutes ago, Three_Pounds said:

You are very observant. However, I have my doubts about the functionality of this mod. You can read my thoughts on the last page. :)

Yes, well there is the known bug that's visible and affects even a pure-stock game that also affects this mod - but the mod itself is as compatible with the game as the stock science definitions are.

On 9/20/2017 at 3:51 AM, wile1411 said:

What's the best way to check this? I keep getting what seems to be fine reports, but that might be just luck of the draw.

Different science reports around the KSC buildings would be easiest. It matters what science you test where, I haven't spotted a pattern. I've seen desert reports over grassland, badlands over water. The KSC got some reports right, but not most of them. It was a mess.

Edited by Tricky14

Question, what might it take to get this mod working with SSRSS? I would think it could be a matter of just changing names but not sure if that'd just work as described, and more importantly if that can't be done with a MM that'd be a hell of a lot of editing to do lol.

4 hours ago, G'th said:

Question, what might it take to get this mod working with SSRSS? I would think it could be a matter of just changing names but not sure if that'd just work as described, and more importantly if that can't be done with a MM that'd be a hell of a lot of editing to do lol.

No you can't do that with MM but I've made a mod that can be used to do what you want

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/160151-wip130-sigma-scidefrenamer/

19 hours ago, Tricky14 said:

Different science reports around the KSC buildings would be easiest. It matters what science you test where, I haven't spotted a pattern. I've seen dessert reports over grassland, badlands over water. The KSC got some reports right, but not most of them. It was a mess.

Did the messed up KSC reports give another KSC biome's message?  KSC science biomes are kind of small and may have weird boundaries.

One thing you could do is change the text of all alternate biome messages in the mod to debug versions, where they clearly state what biome the message is for and its rank number on the list of messages, #1, #2, etc.  That way when you test, you're absolutely sure what biome message is being delivered.  Could help to figure this out.

Edited by Jacke

• 1 month later...

If I remember right the biome reports can be really wonky at border regions or rapidly switching between biomes. Most common being split second tundra biomes while crossing from water-shore- to land. Unless it's giving a desert report in the middle of the grasslands or badlands in the middle of the ocean then it's the stock bug.

I see the pull request I made for a huge number of new Duna biomes two months ago is still languishing on GitHub. Should I bother writing more if they aren't going to be accepted or even acknowledged?

I've been putting off writing more until I know that.

Edited by voicey99

On 11/11/2017 at 9:15 AM, voicey99 said:

I see the pull request I made for a huge number of new Duna biomes two months ago is still languishing on GitHub. Should I bother writing more if they aren't going to be accepted or even acknowledged?

Sorry, I haven't been really paying attention.

@Olympic1? They are the one to ping right now.

On 11-11-2017 at 3:15 PM, voicey99 said:

Sorry, been away for some time because of work. I'll have a look at it this evening.

On 11-11-2017 at 3:15 PM, voicey99 said:

@voicey99 your PR was merged. Sorry that it took so long.

Edited by Olympic1

Just now, Olympic1 said:

@voicey99 your PR was merged.

Sorry that it took so long, I've been away for some time for work.

Now I know this mod is still active, I'll be writing more overhauls soonish, but I'm busy with RL atm as well so it might be slow going.

We all have RL stuff to deal with.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, just got around to actually testing this mod on 1.3.1 and it's completely broken. All science reports simply give " x x x data acquired" instead of any actual science text. There's a log here (from a nearly fresh save with all other mods removed) if it helps at all.

UPDATE: I found the cause: Module Manager! CSS does not work with MM3+! Looking for any syntax changes to see if I can fix this...

UPDATE 2: Syntax looks fine, but the DLL appears to need a recompile. Pinging @Olympic1 so they're aware (if they now maintain the mod?).

UPDATE 3: When testing with KSP1.3.1 and MM2.8.1, all science reports are contaminated with the planet's default ones as well. Shouldn't they be a fallback?

Edited by voicey99

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:06 PM, voicey99 said:

Ok, just got around to actually testing this mod on 1.3.1 and it's completely broken. All science reports simply give " x x x data acquired" instead of any actual science text. There's a log here (from a nearly fresh save with all other mods removed) if it helps at all.

UPDATE: I found the cause: Module Manager! CSS does not work with MM3+! Looking for any syntax changes to see if I can fix this...

UPDATE 2: Syntax looks fine, but the DLL appears to need a recompile. Pinging @Olympic1 so they're aware (if they now maintain the mod?).

I thought it was just me. Thank you @voicey99 for figuring out what's going on. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, now the syntax has been improved in the latest update, I've been looking into ways to ways to deal with contamination of science reports by default ones. I think I've managed to keep the CSS default reports out with tilde keys, like :HAS[~DunaFlyingHigh*[]]:HAS[~DunaSrfLanded*[]] seems to stop default reports being applied to Duna biomes where there already FlyingHigh and SrfLanded reports defined, and if I can confirm this and make adjustments like a possible :FINAL I'll roll it out all default report sets. There remains the question of similarly excluding the default generic Squad reports while leaving the biome-specific default ones (or, even better, copy them over as CS defaults), and I'm currently working on that. I'll edit this as I make progress.

EDIT 1: Ok, that doesn't work. Can it even be done?

EDIT 2: It seems to be doable by deleting the default reports and the Squad ones, but I'd much rather find another way,

EDIT 3: MM co-dev has confirmed the Squad reports cannot be specifically targeted. Bummer. I'll just comment them out manually and remove the default ones where all experiments already have stuff defined.

Edited by voicey99

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/1/2018 at 4:36 PM, voicey99 said:

So, now the syntax has been improved in the latest update, I've been looking into ways to ways to deal with contamination of science reports by default ones. I think I've managed to keep the CSS default reports out with tilde keys, like :HAS[~DunaFlyingHigh*[]]:HAS[~DunaSrfLanded*[]] seems to stop default reports being applied to Duna biomes where there already FlyingHigh and SrfLanded reports defined, and if I can confirm this and make adjustments like a possible :FINAL I'll roll it out all default report sets. There remains the question of similarly excluding the default generic Squad reports while leaving the biome-specific default ones (or, even better, copy them over as CS defaults), and I'm currently working on that. I'll edit this as I make progress.

EDIT 1: Ok, that doesn't work. Can it even be done?

EDIT 2: It seems to be doable by deleting the default reports and the Squad ones, but I'd much rather find another way,

EDIT 3: MM co-dev has confirmed the Squad reports cannot be specifically targeted. Bummer. I'll just comment them out manually and remove the default ones where all experiments already have stuff defined.

So, do you think is a good ideia to wait a little more before installing this mod in 1.3 or 1.3.1 KSP? Thanks!

6 hours ago, kerbalfreak said:

So, do you think is a good idea to wait a little more before installing this mod in 1.3 or 1.3.1 KSP? Thanks!

Those are just a few longstanding issues I was tinkering with, it's still perfectly fine in 1.3/1.3.1. The issue was planetary default and Squad's reports contaminating biome specific ones, but it's not a major issue - just delete the Duna default reports since they're all (I think) covered by biome-specific ones and delete the Squad scidefs file as well since the defaults are covered in CSS.