The MachingBird Revive! 0.90 update

after attempting and realizing my fault I take back my initial claim. Yesterday I was looking at orbital speed- not surface speed. needless to say, I did get the two engine two intake plane to 2256 m/s. A noob mistake, if there ever was one!

Yeah i remember being so happy when i thought i reached 2444 m/s and there for beated everyone then i was like wait... that says orbital speed..... god damit!

its interesting, because even if it didn't flame out, i've had SSTO go into a spin just from one engine losing thrust PRIOR to flame out. looking at your post, you have SAS on but the yaw/pitch/roll meter are all dead center, which seems to indicate no control input by either human pilot or SAS. combined with the fact that you did flame out but did not have unblance thrust... its some sort of bug/glitch you have discover i think

Wonder if this is something easily recreated or repeatable?

not sure if you are aware or not... KSP always flames out the LAST engine mounted on to the craft FIRST. so if you have an odd number of engines like your craft did, having the centrally mounted engine be the last engine to added to the craft would help prevent unbalanced thrust spin out. (assuming you immediately take appropriate action after the first engine flame out)

--- edit ---

I just had a possible idea why this happen.... looking at your craft again, the rear wings cross path with the two side engines.... this may infact be blocking the exhaust/thrust meaning it was possible the plane was flying ONLY by the thrust of the centrally mounted unblocked engines. That maybe why you didn't suffer from unbalance thrust as the thrust of the side engines were blocked/negated in the first place

hmm, that is an interesting thought about the engines being blocked. it *did* seem a bit slow for a 3 engine plane... ill do a run tomorrow with the center engine disabled. :)

well, another loch ness monster that doesn't exist then. too bad, would've been cool if that could be done easily. There's always the MOAR SAS trick to rely on, but that'll make you heavy and then there's the option to attach a key to the outer boosters and just turn them off once they start to flame out.

well, another loch ness monster that doesn't exist then. too bad, would've been cool if that could be done easily. There's always the MOAR SAS trick to rely on, but that'll make you heavy and then there's the option to attach a key to the outer boosters and just turn them off once they start to flame out.

the other problem with multi-engine designs is that they eventually just become dead weight that isnt useful, because you have to throttle down anyway. :(

HAH! i got to 2377 m/s!

so im tied with lesbiotic ^^

i found out that having a lot of fuel is really important, i think thats why my MJ run was slower than my old run.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

however i am not sure i have the parience to beat 2377 m/s. this run was about 3-4 hours of playing.

EDIT: as always, i forgot to say the name and category :blush:. it is stock manned and is called J17.5 (like, the second iteration of J17)

EDIT: sorry, i didnt re-read the rules, so i forgot a front view. here (includes pics before / after staging the cockpits):

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by nicky4096
added front view

HAH! i got to 2377 m/s!

i found out that having a lot of fuel is really important, i think thats why my MJ run was slower than my old run.

http://imgur.com/a/qOjeY

however i am not sure i have the parience to beat 2377 m/s. this run was about 3-4 hours of playing.

EDIT: as always, i forgot to say the name and category. it is stock manned and is called J17.5 (like, the second iteration of J17)

As of right now i can not accept this enrty for there is no clear front view screenshot but thats not something you cant add later on

HAH! i got to 2377 m/s!

http://imgur.com/a/qOjeY

EDIT: as always, i forgot to say the name and category :blush:. it is stock manned and is called J17.5 (like, the second iteration of J17)

EDIT: sorry, i didnt re-read the rules, so i forgot a front view. here (includes pics before / after staging the cockpits):

http://imgur.com/a/9T8Yy

Still me... :) This challenge is fun ^^

2352m/s with this new bird, that's better :)

http://imgur.com/a/PbhEN

Both enrty's have been added pushing me of the list :'(

Both enrty's have been added pushing me of the list :'(

thanks! (for adding me)

some things you could do to improve your EarthShip:

1) try ditching the wings at roughly 30 km or so.

2) as always, more intakes :D! and try putting them on those "cubic octagonal struts" to save weight. if you are worried about partcount, you can mount ram intakes on both the front AND the back of the cubic strut.

3) ditch the outer engines. if you need them to take off, put them on decouplers and ditch them when the air gets low.

4) you dont need all that fuel. its a lot of dead weight. if you really need *that* much fuel, then using droptanks is useful.

hopefully that helps :)

Edited by nicky4096
typo

A question about this challenge. Without serious Airhogging I've been able to build a Machingbird (barely), but only during re-entry. However, I saw on the first page MechJeb is okay, but is KER?

Edited by WanderingKid
I can't spell

A question about this challenge. Without serious Airhogging I've been able to build a Machingbird (barely), but only during re-entry. However, I saw on the first page MechJeb is okay, but is KER?

i remember that in the old challenge, hengeprophet was thinking of putting KER under MJ entries.

but, of course, it's theAnimePug's decision :)

I have no idea in the world what KER is ill have to look into it for now: NOH!

thanks! (for adding me)

some things you could do to improve your EarthShip:

1) try ditching the wings at roughly 30 km or so.

2) as always, more intakes :D! and try putting them on those "cubic octagonal struts" to save weight. if you are worried about partcount, you can mount ram intakes on both the front AND the back of the cubic strut.

3) ditch the outer engines. if you need them to take off, put them on decouplers and ditch them when the air gets low.

4) you dont need all that fuel. its a lot of dead weight. if you really need *that* much fuel, then using droptanks is useful.

hopefully that helps :)

Yeah ive been working with octopusy struts but the EarthShip MK.2 didn't reach my old record due to stability isseus will fix it later dunz wurry

it basically gives you a lot of readouts about your ship.
Kerbal Engineering Redux. Basically a bunch of readouts like MJ, just all manual flight. Mostly used for DeltaV computations, TWR, etc.

Yeah but im still gonna look in to it myself will be yes'ed or no'ed tomoz

Seems al good exept for the front view but thats an easy add just one question... How are you getting fuel with those fuel tanks?

he used small rocket tanks and tweaked them to remove oxidizer.

however he is getting an extra 0.2 units of fuel from somewhere that i can't see, but if you add up the liquid fuel numbers it is close enough to 213 units of fuel

the FL-T200s hold 90 units of liquid fuel each, the round-8 holds 10 units, and the each of the 3 oscar-Bs hold 5.7 liquid fuel.

90*2+10+5.7*4 is 212.8 units of liquid fuel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.