[1.12.x] Sounding Rockets! Start small. Dream big!

RoverDude

1 hour ago, mcortez said:

I had started on some contracts for Sounding Rockets back in April -- I was looking to put together something that would lead people through not just accomplishing goals -- but teaching them how to use the mod.  With judicious use of notes and contract parameters, you can actually get the contract to read kind of like a recipe.

Here's my "3 - 2 - 1 - Launch" contract that guides a player through putting together a sounding rocket with nose cone, payload truss, avionics package and engine:

http://pastebin.com/tMVUYs4C

Next up was going to be a contract that lead them through using boosters and the fact that they auto-separate, then a third contract for unlocking the science packages and how to mount those.  The last tutorial contract would be on how to use the launch sticks.  Then there would be various challenge contracts, for hitting specific altitudes and biomes.

But alas, I seem to find myself distracted by other higher priority items.

Good luck with your contracts -- the entire USI constellation of mods could really use some a good pack.

Cool. Ya I'm looking for something less involved. I just crafted a 6 contract Sounding Rockets pack that only challenges a player to reach a higher and higher altitude until reaching space, using Sounding Rockets parts. It's simple enough to at least guide a player through trial and error. I'll be releasing it soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 9:50 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Oh, it got fixed... uh, some time in the last week with the 1.4.1 update for SEP. It was an issue in our sciencedefs breaking everything that loaded afterwards. All fixed now.

In my version of CKAN it is still marked as incompatible.

Quick question, but are the experiments meant to be able to be run anywhere, around any planet? For some reason I thought they were meant to be restricted to Kerbin, but in testing it doesn't seem to be the case.

5 hours ago, Rodger said:

Quick question, but are the experiments meant to be able to be run anywhere, around any planet? For some reason I thought they were meant to be restricted to Kerbin, but in testing it doesn't seem to be the case.

This is by design so they have some utility past the beginning of career

On 5/31/2016 at 10:17 PM, Amedee said:

In my version of CKAN it is still marked as incompatible.

On 6/1/2016 at 6:03 PM, zeant93 said:

I have the same problem of incompatibility with with the 1.4.1 version of SEP when I try to install SoundingRockets mod with CKAN.

To cut a long story short. Uninstall Sounding rockets completely and then reinstall. See SEP thread if you want to know more. 

Bug discovered: when setting a solid rocket motor as root, it does not detach. When setting some other part as root, the solid rocket motor detaches.  Tested the SRM-S. Not sure if others affected.

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere in the thread, I didn't see it anywhere.

How is the Avionics Package supposed to be used? It's giving me a "Cannot be the first part on vessel", even though the details say it has unmanned control.

Edit: DISREGARD, I'm tired okay? :P Lol somehow didn't notice I could place a booster as the first part.

Thanks for this and all of your other great mods!

Edited by RocketRyleigh
I'm dumb.

The sounding rocket chute doesn't deploy with kOS but works ok with manual staging (pressing space bar).

In kOS I'm doing, like, panic mode:

STAGE. STAGE. STAGE. SET CHUTES TO TRUE. CHUTES ON.

but no chute deployment, and a surface that comes closer really fast.

Relevant mods that are installed: Sounding Rockets (+contract pack), kOS, RemoteTech, FAR, RealChute.

I also posted this in the kOS thread: 

• 2 weeks later...

Please excuse me if this has been discussed previously - I've skimmed through several pages at the beginning and end of the thread but may have overlooked a discussion on this in the middle of the thread. 

I noticed that as of Sounding Rockets Version 0.4.3.0, the ISP for the 3 solid rockets dropped quite tremendously to 75 in atmosphere and 100 in vacuum (from 140 and 165 respectively back to Version 0.3.0.0).  My hope, and admittedly I just started using this mod, was to be able to achieve a suborbital trajectory with sounding rockets alone in 2-3 stages, but that seems very difficult with the current parameters.  Is this a reasonable expectation or should I be looking to the LFO sounding rocket and aerospike?

I was also wondering about the 1st and 2nd stage solid rockets which have had identical ISP values since Version 0.2.0.0?  The only differences between the two now are amount of fuel, thrust, and obviously mass, but otherwise I'm not seeing an advantage of one over the other contrary to the part descriptions.

Thanks for a great series of mods RoverDude and all of your work on stock; really looking forward to the telemetry system!

Edited by BlkBltChemie

5 hours ago, BlkBltChemie said:

My hope, and admittedly I just started using this mod, was to be able to achieve a suborbital trajectory...

Did you mean to say orbital? Anything you launch that comes back down (like these rockets) is suborbital. This pack wasn't designed for orbital flights if I recall correctly as this has been asked before

2 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

Did you mean to say orbital? Anything you launch that comes back down (like these rockets) is suborbital. This pack wasn't designed for orbital flights if I recall correctly as this has been asked before

No, I meant suborbital - specifically with the apoapsis (only) out of the atmosphere.  I believe some real life sounding rockets are capable of reaching space; however, if that is also outside the scope of this pack, thanks for clarifying!

Edited by BlkBltChemie

this pack is meant to reach space - in the stock game. There are some configs for FAR aero but I still don't think anyone has gone and adjusted the thrust/ISP properly to deal with FAR (they are very flippy due to low thrust and high nose drag)

On 6/25/2016 at 11:31 AM, Gaiiden said:

this pack is meant to reach space - in the stock game. There are some configs for FAR aero but I still don't think anyone has gone and adjusted the thrust/ISP properly to deal with FAR (they are very flippy due to low thrust and high nose drag)

On 6/24/2016 at 10:54 PM, BlkBltChemie said:

No, I meant suborbital - specifically with the apoapsis (only) out of the atmosphere.  I believe some real life sounding rockets are capable of reaching space; however, if that is also outside the scope of this pack, thanks for clarifying!

This breaks 70km in FAR,  6 stages, each with a little less thrust to burn longer.  The upper fins are slanted to make it spin like mad so the last couple stages have stability without fins.  29 parts including the fairings and science experiments. 

LMr0tDQ.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.