[1.12.x] Sounding Rockets! Start small. Dream big!

RoverDude

4 minutes ago, Oneiros said:

f the author of this mod is no longer active or interested in updating I might make a balance patch that at least fixes the worst issues like no entry costs, parachutes, etc.

@RoverDude is most definitely around, he does work for Squad.  I pinged him here in the hope he will read your posts

Still here :). Other than item one on that list, I disagree with the others shown as they are all there by design.  Same as I strongly agree with the kerbal first approach stock takes.  If you want to do a PR for better parachute values I would be happy to merge that.

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to be having an issue using my first sounding rocket; using the avionics package, the DP-10 antenna and 3 of those mini battery packs, I have no connection to the rocket. Am I incorrect in assuming the avi package is meant to be a simple probe core and allow remote control of the craft.

I also have RemoteTech (1.8.13) installed, but I don't know how/if that would be affecting anything.

4 minutes ago, ItsSeanBroleson said:

I seem to be having an issue using my first sounding rocket; using the avionics package, the DP-10 antenna and 3 of those mini battery packs, I have no connection to the rocket. Am I incorrect in assuming the avi package is meant to be a simple probe core and allow remote control of the craft.

I also have RemoteTech (1.8.13) installed, but I don't know how/if that would be affecting anything.

Nose cone?

3 minutes ago, ItsSeanBroleson said:

As in the nose cone parachute? I have one installed on my craft, if that's what you're asking.

(I'll try an install without RT, as well)

Yes, the one that comes with sounding rockets. I seem to recall one of the RT configs gives that part the config instead of the probe core.

On 10/3/2018 at 4:08 AM, Oneiros said:

Just letting people know that I've integrated a lot of the balance changes into an add-on for Unmanned Tech. Many of these have been requested over the past few pages here.

https://github.com/Oneiros86/UnmannedTech/tree/master/SoundingRocketsRebalanced

That link doesn't work, but this one does:

https://github.com/Oneiros86/SoundingRockets/releases

16 minutes ago, TranceaddicT said:

That link doesn't work, but this one does:

https://github.com/Oneiros86/SoundingRockets/releases

Keep in mind that Oneiros has basically left the community, so it is probably up in the air if these patches will be maintained, and his unmanned tech mod is essentially gone as of now.

1 minute ago, goldenpsp said:

Keep in mind that Oneiros has basically left the community, so it is probably up in the air if these patches will be maintained, and his unmanned tech mod is essentially gone as of now.

This branch is 6 commits ahead of BobPalmer:master.

Latest commit 7417d04 20 days ago

Seems like he's still active. 

2 minutes ago, TranceaddicT said:

This branch is 6 commits ahead of BobPalmer:master.

Latest commit 7417d04 20 days ago

Seems like he's still active. 

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/144383-oneiros/

Not going to post his direct message here due to it's sensitive nature but it is pretty clear from a few days ago.

Edited by goldenpsp

• 1 month later...

Is it just me, or is the tiny areospike engine a bit overpowered compared to the spark. better in every way execpt vaccum thrust, where it is 2kn worse, and costs almost nothing. I would suggest a thrust and ISP nerf

• 1 month later...

I just started using this mod and is it just me or is the rotation incorrect on the Avionics Package? 

I build a sounding rocket in what I think should be the default orientation of the parts with a truss in the default orientation it spawns in the VAB with the avionics package centered on the truss. When I launch it the the compass orientation is rotated 90 degrees compared to every other probe core in the game. Is this intentional for some reason I don't understand? It appears the Avionics Package wants to be on the "side" of the rocket instead of the "front"

It bothered me enough that I wrote a patch to rotate it so that placement on the front of a rocket is the correct orientation to align with the compass.

// Adjust the rotation alignment of the USI Sounding Rockets Avionics Package
@PART[SR_ProbeCore]
{
    %MODEL
    {
      %rotation = 0, 90, 0
    } 
    @node_attach = 0,0,0,0,0,-1,0
}

19 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

I just started using this mod and is it just me or is the rotation incorrect on the Avionics Package? 

I build a sounding rocket in what I think should be the default orientation of the parts with a truss in the default orientation it spawns in the VAB with the avionics package centered on the truss. When I launch it the the compass orientation is rotated 90 degrees compared to every other probe core in the game. Is this intentional for some reason I don't understand? It appears the Avionics Package wants to be on the "side" of the rocket instead of the "front"

It bothered me enough that I wrote a patch to rotate it so that placement on the front of a rocket is the correct orientation to align with the compass.

// Adjust the rotation alignment of the USI Sounding Rockets Avionics Package
@PART[SR_ProbeCore]
{
    %MODEL
    {
      %rotation = 0, 90, 0
    } 
    @node_attach = 0,0,0,0,0,-1,0
}

It's meant to mount sideways inside the truss sections.  A better patch would be to give it alternate orientations similar to the new Mk2 lander can :)

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

It's meant to mount sideways inside the truss sections.  A better patch would be to give it alternate orientations similar to the new Mk2 lander can :)

The control point would be another way to do it, that's true. I'm already using a patch to add up/forward/reverse to all command modules. It looks like you could rotate about the vertical axis for the up orientation through this as well.

I use Snark's VABReorienter to build my rockets facing east in the VAB. Taking out my patch and VABReorienter. I can see that you've designed this so that the default build orientation when sent to the pad is already aligned with the compass without needing to be rotated 90° unlike every other command module in the game, so for me at least the patch I included above just makes the Avionics Package behave like every other command module.

I've also written an Indicator Lights Patch for the Sounding Rocket experiments if anyone is interested. I skipped telemetry reports because I haven't wanted to spend the time updating every probe core in the game.

Spoiler

@PART[SR_Payload_0*]:NEEDS[IndicatorLights]
{
    // Set the lights: 1 strip under the logo on each experiment.
    MODEL
    {
        model = IndicatorLights/Meshes/squareLamp2
        scale = 0.4, 0.2, 2.2
        position = -0.130,-0.10, -.01
        rotation = 0, 0, 270
    }

// Mark the light as controllable
    MODULE {
        name = ModuleControllableEmissive
        target = IndicatorLights/Meshes/squareLamp2
        emissiveName = indicator
    }

// Link lights to science availability
    MODULE {
        name = ModuleScienceDataIndicator
        emissiveName = indicator
        dataColor = $HighScience
        partialDataColor = $MediumScience
        lowDataColor = $LowScience
        emptyColor = ModuleScienceAvailabilityIndicator
    }
    MODULE {
        name = ModuleScienceAvailabilityIndicator
    }
}

Edited by Tonka Crash

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, rottielover said:

I just installed off ckan and the avionics package is not working as a probe core (can't control a sounding rocket once loaded on the pad).

Any thoughts?

I did a quick install of Sounding Rockets and I think I recreated what happened to you.

The Avionics Package needs electric power.  I added the small battery included in this mod and it worked like a charm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.