[1.12.x] Sounding Rockets! Start small. Dream big!

RoverDude

On 5/29/2019 at 4:02 PM, Gordon Dry said:

Does the module USI_Falloff have issues with KJR regarding not (quickly enough) falling off launch sticks at launch?

Quoting myself ...
Using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Continued v3.5.0 I added

<string name="exemptModuleType5">USI_Falloff</string>

to GameData\KerbalJointReinforcement\Plugin\PluginData\KerbalJointReinforcement\config.xml
Now I need to find out if that works ...

8 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

^ nope

Oh, shoot. I was wondering if it was just me, or if I had forgotten how to attach/use the launch stick.  I guess it's back to shoving it up the rocket nozzle again and having it burn away... ;)

Actually, I'm not using any flavor of KJR, so that's not exactly it.

I wonder if the stick could be made into a no-force decoupler--or is it already?

Edited by Beetlecat

• 1 month later...

Hello! 

I am still having issues with the Sounding Rockets sinking to the ocean floor. They actually accelerate quite a bit on the way down and usually explode when they hit the bottom, making recovery difficult. 

Is anyone aware of a workaround for this problem? I tested and get this issue with just Sounding Rockets + Stock on 1.8.1.

Thanks for the awesome mod RoverDude!

On 11/10/2019 at 1:00 PM, Gordon Dry said:

Quoting myself ...
Using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Continued v3.5.0 I added

<string name="exemptModuleType5">USI_Falloff</string>

to GameData\KerbalJointReinforcement\Plugin\PluginData\KerbalJointReinforcement\config.xml
Now I need to find out if that works ...

On 11/10/2019 at 10:45 PM, Beetlecat said:

Oh, shoot. I was wondering if it was just me, or if I had forgotten how to attach/use the launch stick.  I guess it's back to shoving it up the rocket nozzle again and having it burn away... ;)

Actually, I'm not using any flavor of KJR, so that's not exactly it.

I wonder if the stick could be made into a no-force decoupler--or is it already?

I just started a new career again (while playing with the new Bureaucracy mod) and revisiting this launch stick issue. 

My guess is that USI_Falloff just needs to be debugged, but in the meantime, simply added the decoupler module from one of the stock separators (to make sure the syntax was correct, and tweaking it to have zero force), and it works like a charm.

Maybe not the "ideal" thing to do, but at least the launch stick is stageable with engine launch, and remains stuck to the little launch platform just like the overgrown model rockets they are :)

Edited by Beetlecat

50 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

hmm, was not aware of an issue with the launch sticks?  They should just... drop off :)  No staging required.

They seem to be staying stuck. I had to resort to connecting it to the engine nozzle so it would destroy the stick and let go. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Just a quick question...

no decouplers needed... does that mean we just stick both boosters on top of each other?

I'm asking since mine don't seem to decouple... first stage ignites and burns out and stays attached to the second...
ignite the second and everything goes into rapid unplanned disassembly :-)

just checking whether I'm missing anything or some mods are  messing it up. (most likely since I'm playing  v.1.8.1 with RSS and LRTR)

3 hours ago, davidjacobs said:

Just a quick question...

no decouplers needed... does that mean we just stick both boosters on top of each other?

I'm asking since mine don't seem to decouple... first stage ignites and burns out and stays attached to the second...
ignite the second and everything goes into rapid unplanned disassembly :-)

just checking whether I'm missing anything or some mods are  messing it up. (most likely since I'm playing  v.1.8.1 with RSS and LRTR)

Yup, they drop off when they expend fuel.  If they are not then something is up....  either mod conflict or auto struts :)

3 hours ago, AeroSky said:

Is this 1.10.1 compatible?

Also, do the parts of this mod appear in the Start node?

Thanks!

Yes.  and Most.

OK, just a heads up
I found my issue... PEBCAK... (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard)

because I could not place the avionics unit first like I usually do, I started with the boosters which became the root part... and the first stage part being the root part is not a good thing...
finally I tried adding decouplers to the mix and it clicked when I saw the second stage fly out of view while the game stayed focused on the spend first stage booster :rolleyes:

After changing the root part to the final stage it worked like a charm....

• 1 month later...

A heads up if you encounter exploding parts on landing, levitating fairings and similar problems. I tracked the problem down to a patch that makes light parts physics-less to avoid the 1.11 part mass bug (link).  Excluding engines, lifting surfaces and decouplers from the patch solved the problem.

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[#mass[<0.03],!MODULE[ModuleEngines*],!MODULE[ModuleDecouple],!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel],!RESOURCE[Oxidizer],!RESOURCE[MonoPropellant],!MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface]]:FINAL
{
	%PhysicsSignificance = 1
}

Thank you, @RoverDude for creating great mods and keeping them alive for so long!

Edited by hermano

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,  I love this little mod, especially for starting the game in somewhat of a hard mode, with rescale and Kerbalism. I wonder, there is a way to limit the use of the experiments package to only Kerbin with kerbalism? because right now you can use the everywhere, in every planet, in every biome at every altitude. Thx for the one who can give me a hand

22 minutes ago, Flavio hc16 said:

Hi,  I love this little mod, especially for starting the game in somewhat of a hard mode, with rescale and Kerbalism. I wonder, there is a way to limit the use of the experiments package to only Kerbin with kerbalism? because right now you can use the everywhere, in every planet, in every biome at every altitude. Thx for the one who can give me a hand

One change coming is that they will all be atmospheric only.  Which while it does not preclude other planets, it does limit their use on the mun and minmus.

2 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

One change coming is that they will all be atmospheric only.  Which while it does not preclude other planets, it does limit their use on the mun and minmus.

right now if i go and look in the config i already see that there is the limitation "atmospheric only" but it doesn't seem to work with kerbalism ( i can use them on the mun, landed or in orbit)

19 minutes ago, Flavio hc16 said:

right now if i go and look in the config i already see that there is the limitation "atmospheric only" but it doesn't seem to work with kerbalism ( i can use them on the mun, landed or in orbit)

All bets are off with Kerbalism in the mix, tbh.  

2 hours ago, Flavio hc16 said:

There is a config for sounding rockets in /GameData/KerbalismConfig/Support/SoundingRockets_Science.cfg which should control the settings for Kerbalism science.

Only SRExperiment01 has set BodyAllowed = Atmospheric in its KERBALISM_EXPERIMENT module. Adding this for the other three modules should restrict them, too, I suppose.

30 minutes ago, hermano said:

There is a config for sounding rockets in /GameData/KerbalismConfig/Support/SoundingRockets_Science.cfg which should control the settings for Kerbalism science.

Only SRExperiment01 has set BodyAllowed = Atmospheric in its KERBALISM_EXPERIMENT module. Adding this for the other three modules should restrict them, too, I suppose.

Gee, if only people would use the stock modules instead of making their own incompatible thing ;)

2 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Gee, if only people would use the stock modules instead of making their own incompatible thing ;)

i was using all the stock config, now i'll try copypasting the atmospheric limitation on all the modules in the kerbalism config of sounding rockets, let's see if it works

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.