[1.12.x] Sounding Rockets! Start small. Dream big!

RoverDude

The sticks are slightly frustrating (even if terminally cute): with no control at all, this will easily get to escape (in FAR) but there is no way to put it in orbit (am I mistaken? without turning around, there is no way to circularize...)

qHVIHzq.jpg

By the way, slightly canting the winglets (as I did on the 3rd stage here) will spin the rocket and make them go straighter than arrows ;)

And I can see some use well further in the tech tree for these things, the TWRs are excellent - so much that if you don't use the limiters burning up isn't hard at all when you play with tiny payloads.

Two things I'd like to point out: three out of four canisters are named "meteorological package", even if the textures say otherwise, and Engineer is thoroughly confused by these rockets (I suppose it doesn't "see" the integrated decouplers)

Edited by thorfinn

You're quite wrong. :)

Angle it right, pause the right length of time between staging, and aerodynamic forces should have you aligned correctly. You *don't* want to spin-stabilize in that case. You might, however, want to add a few separatrons to the first stage to get it kicked up to speed fast enough (as was done with, say, Little Joe).

I apologise if this has already been asked, but dtobi's (now depreciated) SmartParts used to let you set up triggers like what seems (superficially at least) to be happening with these stages (trigger part [say decoupler] when fuel is expended)

So I guess the question is, does the plugin support this sort of functionality? (i.e. can I add your module{} to another part (if it's even a module) and utilise the functionality) or do all the controlled modules need to be self-contained in a single part?

You know, I should really just download the mod and have a look when I get home :P

@Nathankell: I tried, but you would need need a veeery low trajectory that stays in atmosphere very long: getting almost horizontal with still enough air to catch wings. And at apoapsis you will be pointing up anyway (granted, I suppose you could be flat enough to still get into an orbit)

The sticks are slightly frustrating (even if terminally cute): with no control at all, this will easily get to escape (in FAR) but there is no way to put it in orbit (am I mistaken? without turning around, there is no way to circularize...)

Sounding Rockets are really not meant for orbital operations. Given these are included at the very start of the tech tree, it kinda makes sense. That being said, you can always add a much smarter probe core down the line. I may even get punchy and create one that fits the same form factor, but appears with the Stayputnik for balance reasons. And yes, for starting technology it's supposed to be hard ;) But hopefully folks have as much fun learning about good rocket design as I did when testing these.

I only get the crossfeed option when I right click. :P

For the science bits? Do you still have StoredCharge? Show me a screenie of your rocket with the resource screen up.

I apologise if this has already been asked, but dtobi's (now depreciated) SmartParts used to let you set up triggers like what seems (superficially at least) to be happening with these stages (trigger part [say decoupler] when fuel is expended)

So I guess the question is, does the plugin support this sort of functionality? (i.e. can I add your module{} to another part (if it's even a module) and utilise the functionality) or do all the controlled modules need to be self-contained in a single part?

You know, I should really just download the mod and have a look when I get home :P

It's a part module, so feel free to reuse it.

No, no, I don't want you to make probe cores or whatever: I just wanted someone to prove me wrong ;) (And I had too much fun with your minirockets not to post something about it in the forum)

I think I will spend some more time trying to get one in orbit just for the hell of it (where the thermal battery will die in 10 minutes without accomplishing anything, of course, but who cares)

Edit: done it :) It wasn't so hard after all (and I learned something: spin stabilization is more powerful than I expected)

Edited by thorfinn

The sticks are surface attached. The nodes are there to attach sticks to eachother.

And you do not fix them to the floor - use a couple of them and make a rocket tripod with two sticks and the tail of your rocket.

Duh! Sorry, sometimes I forget to turn my brain on in the morning! :blush:

EDIT: I've just tried this way and the sticks did not drop off on launch, though...

BA0q2bw.png

Edited by jlcarneiro
Test result...

I join klgraham... TXL! I won't be surprised if RoverDude has created some RoverMinions for doing some stuff for him. :wink:

I could recommend this mod everyone who isn't familiar with ballistic rockets or gravity turn for easy and funny testing. Even if you think you know its secrets. BTW the Rockets are OP but thats part of the game I think. Next time I`ll try to hit Eve or Duna. :D

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Perhaps anybody knows why MJ isn't showing drag losses with FAR? Plugin installed...

Edited by funk

Funny thing... I would not consider these OP. They are mass and fuel appropriate for their size, but then FAR absolutely loves them for some reason (likely because they are... you know... aerodynamic and such).

What does surprise me is they have not broken because of atmospheric pressure, etc. - I may chat with Ferram4 and figure out what I did wrong/right ;)

Yeah that page is missing a few :)

Please please please add a github repo and releases. Or even better, upload them to kerbalstuff...

You are making me want to break my self-promise of playing only ckan'ified mods :blush:

Funny thing... I would not consider these OP. They are mass and fuel appropriate for their size, but then FAR absolutely loves them for some reason (likely because they are... you know... aerodynamic and such).

What does surprise me is they have not broken because of atmospheric pressure, etc. - I may chat with Ferram4 and figure out what I did wrong/right ;)

I tried this mod, and while it looks nice, had a problem. The first rocket I made was a simple nose cone, payload, booster & fins. It went straight up, and was so fast that it exploded due to atmosphere friction. Yes, I am using FAR.

I tried this mod, and while it looks nice, had a problem. The first rocket I made was a simple nose cone, payload, booster & fins. It went straight up, and was so fast that it exploded due to atmosphere friction. Yes, I am using FAR.

Thrust limiter is your friend.

FYI in stock you can't even make it to space with one of each stage ;) FAR just loves these tho.

The only thing I recognized in Debug-Mode is, that there is no FAR drag coefficient for the nose cone... I'm sure that the thing is, that there is no or less aerodynamic pressure, because there is no or less AoA. Steering=Pitch. All the pressure is longitudinal to the rocket.

Oh - that's likely because of the presence of a parachute.

- - - Updated - - -

RoverDude, I don't want to annoy you but, do you have any news on getting science reports and dropping sticks?

Show me a screenshot of the contents of your 000_USITools folder.

Smartparts is still available:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64227-0-23-07-Feb-Smart-Parts-V0-4-NEW-V0-4-Improved-fuel-sensor-valve-and-altimeter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.