[1.12.x] Sounding Rockets! Start small. Dream big!

RoverDude

As in moving the USI and USItools folders into the Gamedata folder, but not the one it was originally placed in (Moving it into the one with everything?)

Yes, if you see a zip file with a gamedata folder, you merge the contents of that gamedata folder into your current gamedata folder (this is not the only mod that has the gamedata folder at the root of the zip file).

So your gamedata folder should look like

000_USITools

000_Toolbar

Magicsmokeindustries

Umbraspaceindustries

• 2 weeks later...

if I include probe science or the micro gravity experiment from stock science tweaks, I get the following in my log when entering the flight scene:

[ERR 03:26:12.730] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id surfaceSampleProbes <-probe science

[ERR 03:26:12.732] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id telemetryReport <-stock science tweaks

[ERR 03:26:12.741] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id SRExperiment02

[ERR 03:26:12.742] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id SRExperiment04

[ERR 03:26:12.743] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id SRExperiment03

[ERR 03:26:12.744] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id SRExperiment01

All of the sounding rocket payload experiments fail to load. I'm thinking this is not SR's fault, but wanted to make note of it here too in the hunt for a solution

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm seeing the random explody-truss problem people have mentioned before. I've even seen the truss enter the ground a bit, then jump back out, but I can't reproduce that one.

It does make me wonder, does the collision mesh follow the model exactly, by any chance? (i.e. a bunch of small struts) Or does it just use a cylinder at the bottom and top? As far as I've seen, all the decoupler collision meshes are just solid cylinders, so if it's done the first way, that might be what's causing the issue.

I'm loving the mod so far, but my rockets exploding for no apparent reason isn't quite the fun I'm looking for :wink: So, anyone have any idea if/how the trusses can be made stronger?

if I include probe science or the micro gravity experiment from stock science tweaks, I get the following in my log when entering the flight scene:

All of the sounding rocket payload experiments fail to load. I'm thinking this is not SR's fault, but wanted to make note of it here too in the hunt for a solution

It sounds like there are some duplicate experiment definitions. More than one experiment with the same name will interrupt the experiment loading process and break all subsequent experiments.

It sounds like there are some duplicate experiment definitions. More than one experiment with the same name will interrupt the experiment loading process and break all subsequent experiments.

I'll take another look, that was the first thing I thought of but checking the config files didn't turn up any duplicates

I'm having a really annoying problem, the stages don't jettison when out of fuel. I really want to like this mod but I'll have to uninstall it for now :(

Edit: Fixed the problem, don't let your root parts be the engines or they won't work.

But when you discover a solution, inevitably more problems arise. I guess I shouldn't have installed this for 1.0.4 lel

Aerodynamics are wack, the payload is always destroyed when it hits the ground, the rockets are woefully underpowered overall.

Edited by Quarky

Pic of the rocket and are you using FAR? ... crash tolerances were bumped a while ago

Hmm. Last time I used these, I was seeing explosions on landing despite truss crash tolerance being 12m/s, but I am indeed using FAR. Is that somehow related? (And if it is, is there a way to fix it?)

IIRC the rocket I saw this with when it landed was an 0.35m truss with parachute on top, and a single experiment, avionics package, and 2 batteries attached. Pretty sure it landed at something close to 4m/s and exploded.

Hello there RoverDude

I have a case of what I think is an incompatibility of some sort, between the science experiments of Sounding Rockets! and SETI tech tree. To be fair, I'm about 80% sure the issue is on SETI's part, as also other science experiments from other mods display the same behaviour... I've already posted on his thread, but just wanted to make sure to cover all sides, plus there's that 20% I can't be sure of. So

Anyway, the problem I'm having is that the science experiments don't provide any option to gather science while in flight. They have no action whatsoever, and even science alert doesn't seem them as avaliable. In the VAB, they still show as having experiments doable, however

Thanks for everything!

Hello there RoverDude

I have a case of what I think is an incompatibility of some sort, between the science experiments of Sounding Rockets! and SETI tech tree. To be fair, I'm about 80% sure the issue is on SETI's part, as also other science experiments from other mods display the same behaviour... I've already posted on his thread, but just wanted to make sure to cover all sides, plus there's that 20% I can't be sure of. So

Anyway, the problem I'm having is that the science experiments don't provide any option to gather science while in flight. They have no action whatsoever, and even science alert doesn't seem them as avaliable. In the VAB, they still show as having experiments doable, however

Thanks for everything!

Given how SETI modifies how many science experiments work I would say you are probably correct. Your best option is to test without SETI to verify.

And with that I am just going to take cover over here...

• 3 weeks later...

got some truss destruction issues here too. I've landed the truss fine on land before, but this was the first time I put it down in the water and when it hit at ~4.5m/s the speed shot up to 9.8m/s and the truss was destroyed. Which is weird since it has a 12m/s crash tolerance. I loaded the video into my editor and did a frame by frame step through and saw the speed go up to 9.8m/s but not past it before the view switched off to another nearby vessel since the root part was destroyed. I switched back to the remains and saw the three (non-USI) batteries I had attached to the truss were still there arranged as if the truss was there too (not floating free) but the truss and the avionics and the science module were all destroyed. Was not using FAR for this launch. KSP v1.0.4. I pointed my rocket the other way and re-created the launch based on my video (rocket was ballistic so the phys sim treated the flight path similar) and the truss survived landing on the ground.

oFyWFDm.png

Just as I got done typing all that I realized I should probably try it once more with Better Bouyancy removed. Truss landed just fine without BB installed. RoverDude if you think it's something on BB's end instead of yours I will post over there.

Update: I realized that after landing in water, the truss would bob up and down so much that it was impossible to recover through the Esc or altimeter recovery button because the game would register it as moving. If I removed Persistent Rotation, it was still difficult but not impossible to trigger non-physical timewarp after a few tries and be able to recover. A mod that lets you jump straight to the tracking station was a bit more lenient in letting me switch than the default Esc/altimeter method but still greyed in & out a little bit.

Not sure how much of this, if any, is due to Sounding Rockets and how much are from these other mods.

Edited by Gaiiden

Aerodynamics are wack, the payload is always destroyed when it hits the ground, the rockets are woefully underpowered overall.

"Underpowered"

(In 1.0.4) :v

On the other hand, the USI reactors don't count as a power source for the purpose of completing contracts. Ceci n'est pas comme il faut :(

"Underpowered"

Trying to use these with the latest FAR is an exercise in futility, but it's not RoverDude's fault - they weren't designed to be used with FAR, especially the latest version that correctly calculates body lift - these rockets don't have anywhere near the thrust to fly properly. Ferram said my two-stage needed a TWR of >10 at takeoff and it gets 2.6G at max thrust sea level. So I just fly them without FAR and they work fine

Trying to use these with the latest FAR is an exercise in futility (...) these rockets don't have anywhere near the thrust to fly properly. Ferram said my two-stage needed a TWR of >10 at takeoff and it gets 2.6G at max thrust sea level.

....why?

Do you mean, to fly horizontally?

What do you need that huge TWR for?

just trust Ferram he knows what he's talking about.

And to be honest I partially recant my earlier statement, which was unjustly harsh. I did in fact have a working single-stage sounding rocket flying okay under FAR. Once I started building them longer though (2-stage) the thrust was too low to overcome the body lift generated by the length of the rocket

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.