[1.12.x] Sounding Rockets! Start small. Dream big!

RoverDude

Excellent mod concept, and something that's really needed. So far I've been finding that the rockets don't trigger the "reach an altitude record of 5,000m" contract, nor do the parachutes slow you down enough for the nosecone to survive (impact at 15m/s or so) - although the science packages do. Are these intended behaviours? The science could be retrieved by hand, but given how long it takes Kerbals to invent cars, that's going to limit them to straight up and down flight.

Idle curiosity - I do like the idea of having reasons to take these on trips with me. Do you think there's scope here for these parts to allow for cheap mini-satellites from low-gravity moons, or exploring Duna's atmosphere?

Excellent mod concept, and something that's really needed. So far I've been finding that the rockets don't trigger the "reach an altitude record of 5,000m" contract, nor do the parachutes slow you down enough for the nosecone to survive (impact at 15m/s or so) - although the science packages do. Are these intended behaviours? The science could be retrieved by hand, but given how long it takes Kerbals to invent cars, that's going to limit them to straight up and down flight.

Idle curiosity - I do like the idea of having reasons to take these on trips with me. Do you think there's scope here for these parts to allow for cheap mini-satellites from low-gravity moons, or exploring Duna's atmosphere?

Odd... I'll have to test that part RE contracts. RE parachutes - I have had them survive impact numerous times with one science experiment and a nosecone. And yes, it's intended behavior that you cannot fit two science packages on one of these.

And just recover vessel - done ;)

My science experiment exploded upon landing. That was never part of the plan!

Assuming you had just the nosecone and just one science experiment you should have been fine (granted, I increased this margin for error in the new patch that I am working on)

Can we have a radial motor for the sounding rocket? Come on, we all know that's what the Kerbals would do!

No ;) But I did add in a larger 0.625m motor.

Just the nosecone and experiment. Nothing else. Explodes on landing.

Are you using stock? or RealChutes?

My results (i.e., nosecone exploding every time it lands, at 15 m/s, and no contract hits other than "launch new rocket") were from a fresh install of stock, with nothing except this mod.

And yep, this was the basic rocket - one nosecone, one science package, one upper stage, one lower stage.

downloading immediately! You always have the best idea's... When are you going to make my bulldozer ;) LOL

Not touching that one ;)

I love it!

Is it at all possible to include a small launch clamp, so you can launch these rockets at an angle, much like real-world sounding rockets (which didn't have a godlike human giving them a 5 degree tilt in flight)?

I was considering this - possibly as positionable 'sticks'

Hi,

Your mod isn't yet listed on your page: http://bobpalmer.github.io/UmbraSpaceIndustries

Looks very nice, will be trying it soon.

LinuxGuruGamer

Yeah that page is missing a few :)

When you have the time... Would you consider adding a set of less colorful, posibbly more stock like, textures?

Really appriciate all the work you did for this amazing game but our aesthetic values differ so greatly i stopped using some of your mods just for thier color scheme and i fear this one is likely to suffer the same fate.

and immediate feedback:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Here is an IMGUR album of my 2nd attempt, first ended the same way. The chute is only slowing a sci pkg down to about 16 m/s and it's hitting the ground too hard. (NEAR installed, I'm assuming FAR users going to have the same thing) I do have realchutes installed but without a cfg specific for this chute there should be no effect right?

So far I've been finding that the rockets don't trigger the "reach an altitude record of 5,000m" contract....

That contract looks like it has a hidden requirement to do it with a crewed vessel. In one of my test career saves where I added enough science to launch a stock comsat as my first launch, I accepted the initial four contracts before launching. "Altitude record" was the only one that didn't complete.

When you have the time... Would you consider adding a set of less colorful, posibbly more stock like, textures?

Google sounding rockets :) they are colorful by design and for some good reasons (relative to sounding rockets that is).

and immediate feedback:

Try it without realchutes and humor me. If that fails, there's an update coming once I finish testing fins.

That contract looks like it has a hidden requirement to do it with a crewed vessel. In one of my test career saves where I added enough science to launch a stock comsat as my first launch, I accepted the initial four contracts before launching. "Altitude record" was the only one that didn't complete.

That solves that scooby doo mystery!

I was wondering, could these be used as probes on a ship? Kind of like, I'm sending a ship to Eve, and just want to launch a few probes in the atmosphere? It would need a radio, but I suppose you could add that as a second module on the rocket, or replace the parachute with it. On second thought, replacing the parachute may not be a great idea, you'd want the probe to have enough time in atmosphere to record and transmit the data.

I would also think that an extended battery might be useful, depending on how long it will take to get from an orbiting ship to the planet.

Obviously, there would be no recovery, and landing would cause it to self-destruct/explode

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I didn't know about this mod until now--but last night I started a brand new save called "Start Small Dream Big".

WHAT IS THIS ZEITGEIST THINGY.

Also, these sounding rockets sound awesome and I'm looking forward to trying them out!

I was wondering, could these be used as probes on a ship?

Sure, it's just a limited lifespan and it's dirt cheap.

Side note:

Wings are split off now :) Also added a launch-stick (literally a stick) to angle the rocket, so in the next release the SAS capability is being dropped and you will have to manually launch your rocket and set it's heading, and also make sure your fins are set to maintain stability.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.