[1.12.x] Sounding Rockets! Start small. Dream big!

RoverDude

That's hot Filigan.

I'm loving mod so far. Thanks for making it. The sense of humor in the science descriptions and part descriptions is awesome. Especially when I tried to do all the science experiments on the launch pad

Love this mod, but do you not think the science experiments are a bit overpowered? Specifically the fact that they have different versions for each biome even when orbit seems to make them much more powerful than even higher tier stock experiments

2 hours ago, baldamundo said:

But it's still potentially a huge well of science to draw from. Just seems incongruous and frankly a bit odd - why should sounding rocket experiments become the mainstay of your orbital science program?

As with most things of this nature that wind up in Roverdude's mods, A) Nothing is assigned to a single purpose or ship, they are designed to be fluid, and B) If you want to go through the trouble of a workaround or sicence spamming, go on ahead. It's your effort going into it.

2 hours ago, baldamundo said:

But it's still potentially a huge well of science to draw from. Just seems incongruous and frankly a bit odd - why should sounding rocket experiments become the mainstay of your orbital science program?

Just because you could do something, doesn't mean you should do something. 

Sure, someone could send up a probe with a bajillion experiments on it, or they could send up 4 and a scientist... but since it's their own game, it won't affect you at all. If someone was to choose to limit them self to only getting landed/low flying/high flying/low space/high space for a body, they aren't playing the game any better or worse than anyone else. But please don't be that person that doesn't own a TV, and makes sure every conversation they ever have with anyone makes sure to include that they don't own a TV.  

The beauty of single player sandbox games... you get to make your own house rules.  

Hi, I seem to have a strange issue where as the launch sticks for the sounding rockets don't detach on launch - they just stay attached to the rocket itself. I'm pretty sure it's not this mod that is causing the issue but wondering if you have seen/heard of the issue before or what I can do to try and track down what the issue is.

Issue found to be old version of EPL.

Edited by Marstiphal

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to add at least one part with a :FOR[SoundingRockets] module manager directive in the mod? As it stands, there is no easy way to set up module manager patches to these parts using :NEEDS since SoundingRockets is stored in a subfolder of "UmbraSpaceIndustries".

Edited by westamastaflash

@westamastaflash would like to see some line along the lines of:

@PART[SR_Nosecone_*]:FOR[SoundingRockets]:NEEDS[AntennaRange,!RemoteTech]

So he can write an MM patch that targets ':NEEDS[SoundingRockets]' instead of ':NEEDS[UmbraSpaceIndustries]' - basically, he wants more fine-grained control.  When you install this mod, you'll have a folder called 'UmbraSpaceIndustries' so the latter will already trigger, but you don't have anything saying which part of your large collection of mods you have - at least, not in a way that MM understands.

If I have a few minutes I may go in and make a PR on this - it sounds like a good idea to me, and you have several patches with ':FOR[UmbraSpaceIndustries]' which could be converted over without other effects.  (My example being a copy-and-replace of one of them.)

14 minutes ago, DStaal said:

which part of your large collection of mods you have - at least, not in a way that MM understands

Exactly. Thanks @DStaal . I do some personal patching for my game against OKS/MKS by using :NEEDS[KolonyTools] since there's a DLL, but as SoundingRockets has no DLL, a FOR directive like is noted in the previous post would make it easier to patch things (for example, adding the Sounding Rockets experiments to the Malemute rover lab instead of having a bunch of extra parts attached to my ship).

Edited by westamastaflash

• 2 months later...

NEW VERSION FOR KSP 1.2 IS UP!

Also - if you want to grab the entire USI Constellation in a single zip... head over here:  https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI_Constellation/releases/

0.5.0 - (KSP 1.2)
------------------
Added some differences in the sounding rocket engine ISP levels and thrust for a bit more variety and long term use

Loving the small rockets for early test launches and unmanned testing. and I won't lie... I did model rockets as a kid and always dreamed of building these high energy big boys. One thing... how about a micro Solar Array... little 1x1.5 foot solar panel to power a micro sat for ghilly and ike missions

Alacrity

I second the request for a small transmitter in the avionics package. In stock every probe core or command module has :

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleDataTransmitter
        antennaType = INTERNAL
        packetInterval = 1.0
        packetSize = 2
        packetResourceCost = 12.0
        requiredResource = ElectricCharge
        antennaPower = 5000
        optimumRange = 2500
        packetFloor = .1
        packetCeiling = 5
    }

Which I recommend manually adding as a placeholder untill you unlock that first antenna, for comparison that antenna  has a power of 500,000. It's already been logged as an issue on github.

Edit: one more very minor thing, The small battery pack shows up under utility rather than the new electrical tab. Actually I'm sure there's a lot of parts that are now in incorrect categories , Not really a major issue as I've noted, especially considering how expansive your modset is, it would be some work to move every item.

Edited by MarcAFK
Mention of github.

On 10/13/2016 at 2:39 AM, BigFatStupidHead said:

Hey @RoverDude, I suggest you add a small data transmitter to the avionics package. It can not be launched in a game where signal is required for probe control, and the first antenna piece is in a later research node.

7 minutes ago, MarcAFK said:

I second the request for a small transmitter in the avionics package. In stock every probe core or command module has :

Which I recommend manually adding as a placeholder untill you unlock that first antenna, for comparison that antenna  has a power of 500,000. It's already been logged as an issue on github.

I'm sure it will get taken care of. There is a MM config bundled with SR for RT users that ran into the same issue.

Has anyone else had an issue with launch sticks? I've had a few early rockets propped up on sticks bounce slightly when the launchpad loads.

Immediately triggering a milestone for "returning to the surface", unfortunately this seems to then bug the "launch your first rocket" contract, launching the vessel, or any others never completes the milestone, the contract, or unlocks any new contracts or milestones which have completing that as a prerequisite.  The debug window doesn't help, using that to finish the contract completes it, spawns another copy, and still doesnt unlock anything else.

Edited by MarcAFK
Edit

6 hours ago, MarcAFK said:

Has anyone else had an issue with launch sticks? I've had a few early rockets propped up on sticks bounce slightly when the launchpad loads.

Immediately triggering a milestone for "returning to the surface", unfortunately this seems to then bug the "launch your first rocket" contract, launching the vessel, or any others never completes the milestone, the contract, or unlocks any new contracts or milestones which have completing that as a prerequisite.  The debug window doesn't help, using that to finish the contract completes it, spawns another copy, and still doesnt unlock anything else.

If you're still on v1.1.3 this is just a common game bug. Immediately reverting to launch afterwards tended to fix it for me. Sometimes.

@RoverDude I have a missing science part in my career game. Crazy is, that i entirely used all the 4 science parts on a few rockets. Now i can only see 3 of them in this career game.

When i start a new career or a new sandbox, all 4 parts appear. I tried to load without DMagic Science parts, but still the 4th part is missing.

Spoiler

Zwischenablagebild7.jpg

Archive contains mod list, modded log and pic

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6IfqHC0fCsFVl9RUkc2N2tjbG8

Edit: in my modded game science tree the missing science part is on start node and now i found the engineer bay on a second node too.

Spoiler

Zwischenablagebild.jpg

Edited by LeLeon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.