RoverDude

[1.3] Sounding Rockets! Start small. Dream big! [0.5.0]

I just started using this mod and is it just me or is the rotation incorrect on the Avionics Package? 

I build a sounding rocket in what I think should be the default orientation of the parts with a truss in the default orientation it spawns in the VAB with the avionics package centered on the truss. When I launch it the the compass orientation is rotated 90 degrees compared to every other probe core in the game. Is this intentional for some reason I don't understand? It appears the Avionics Package wants to be on the "side" of the rocket instead of the "front"

It bothered me enough that I wrote a patch to rotate it so that placement on the front of a rocket is the correct orientation to align with the compass.

// Adjust the rotation alignment of the USI Sounding Rockets Avionics Package
@PART[SR_ProbeCore]
{
    %MODEL
    {
      %rotation = 0, 90, 0
    } 
    @node_attach = 0,0,0,0,0,-1,0
}

19 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

I just started using this mod and is it just me or is the rotation incorrect on the Avionics Package? 

I build a sounding rocket in what I think should be the default orientation of the parts with a truss in the default orientation it spawns in the VAB with the avionics package centered on the truss. When I launch it the the compass orientation is rotated 90 degrees compared to every other probe core in the game. Is this intentional for some reason I don't understand? It appears the Avionics Package wants to be on the "side" of the rocket instead of the "front"

It bothered me enough that I wrote a patch to rotate it so that placement on the front of a rocket is the correct orientation to align with the compass.

// Adjust the rotation alignment of the USI Sounding Rockets Avionics Package
@PART[SR_ProbeCore]
{
    %MODEL
    {
      %rotation = 0, 90, 0
    } 
    @node_attach = 0,0,0,0,0,-1,0
}

It's meant to mount sideways inside the truss sections.  A better patch would be to give it alternate orientations similar to the new Mk2 lander can :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

It's meant to mount sideways inside the truss sections.  A better patch would be to give it alternate orientations similar to the new Mk2 lander can :)

The control point would be another way to do it, that's true. I'm already using a patch to add up/forward/reverse to all command modules. It looks like you could rotate about the vertical axis for the up orientation through this as well.

I use Snark's VABReorienter to build my rockets facing east in the VAB. Taking out my patch and VABReorienter. I can see that you've designed this so that the default build orientation when sent to the pad is already aligned with the compass without needing to be rotated 90° unlike every other command module in the game, so for me at least the patch I included above just makes the Avionics Package behave like every other command module.

I've also written an Indicator Lights Patch for the Sounding Rocket experiments if anyone is interested. I skipped telemetry reports because I haven't wanted to spend the time updating every probe core in the game.

Spoiler

@PART[SR_Payload_0*]:NEEDS[IndicatorLights]
{
    // Set the lights: 1 strip under the logo on each experiment.
    MODEL
    {
        model = IndicatorLights/Meshes/squareLamp2
        scale = 0.4, 0.2, 2.2
        position = -0.130,-0.10, -.01
        rotation = 0, 0, 270
    }

// Mark the light as controllable
    MODULE {
        name = ModuleControllableEmissive
        target = IndicatorLights/Meshes/squareLamp2
        emissiveName = indicator
    }

// Link lights to science availability
    MODULE {
        name = ModuleScienceDataIndicator
        emissiveName = indicator
        dataColor = $HighScience
        partialDataColor = $MediumScience
        lowDataColor = $LowScience
        emptyColor = ModuleScienceAvailabilityIndicator
    }
    MODULE {
        name = ModuleScienceAvailabilityIndicator
    }
}

Edited by Tonka Crash
  • Like 1

I just installed off ckan and the avionics package is not working as a probe core (can't control a sounding rocket once loaded on the pad).

Any thoughts?

54 minutes ago, rottielover said:

I just installed off ckan and the avionics package is not working as a probe core (can't control a sounding rocket once loaded on the pad).

Any thoughts?

I did a quick install of Sounding Rockets and I think I recreated what happened to you.

The Avionics Package needs electric power.  I added the small battery included in this mod and it worked like a charm.