[1.12.x] Sounding Rockets! Start small. Dream big!

RoverDude

Well if you have FAR and/or Realchutes, all bets are off. Try on a vanilla install.
Yeah, I use the heck out of the parachutes in this pack on 1.0.4

Grumman - I'd like to see a screenshot of your GameData folder.

Have done some testing. The issue of chutes failure in my case is down to FAR. Without it they work. With it the terminal velocity is higher that safe opening speed. So they rip off. Not only that but the fins do not work. The whole thing flies like is was made out of cardboard. Oh wait it is.....:P

All ok. They generate the science to build rockets that work it FAR. So it still a win. On a good note. FAR is exasperating the KSP Heating Kraken where some bits explode in time warp from overheating. When hidden in a bay. Putting a thermometer in a sounding rocket creates regular explosions.

Edited by nobodyhasthis

Grumman - I'd like to see a screenshot of your GameData folder.

000_USITools

AsteroidDay

BetterBouyancy

Chatterer

CommunityResourcePack

ConnectedLivingSpace

Crowd Sourced Science

Firespitter

GCorp

KAS

KIS

MagicSmokeIndustries

Mk2Expansion

ModuleRCSFX

NearFutureProps

OrbitalSurveyPlus

PlanetShine

Squad

StockBugFixModules

SXT

TextureReplacer

UmbraSpaceIndustries

The only mods I use with global effects are Better Buoyancy (improved water landings), Chatterer (adds sound effects), ConnectedLivingSpace (disables crew transfer except through specified parts), KIS (assembly and disassembly), PlanetShine (reflected light in low orbit) and UmbraSpaceIndustries (scrapping parts added in Kolonisation). I don't use any aerodynamic or reentry mods.

000_USITools

AsteroidDay

BetterBouyancy

Chatterer

CommunityResourcePack

ConnectedLivingSpace

Crowd Sourced Science

Firespitter

GCorp

KAS

KIS

MagicSmokeIndustries

Mk2Expansion

ModuleRCSFX

NearFutureProps

OrbitalSurveyPlus

PlanetShine

Squad

StockBugFixModules

SXT

TextureReplacer

UmbraSpaceIndustries

The only mods I use with global effects are Better Buoyancy (improved water landings), Chatterer (adds sound effects), ConnectedLivingSpace (disables crew transfer except through specified parts), KIS (assembly and disassembly), PlanetShine (reflected light in low orbit) and UmbraSpaceIndustries (scrapping parts added in Kolonisation). I don't use any aerodynamic or reentry mods.

Also if you don't mind a screenshot of the sounding rocket you used, Like rover said, i used the crap out of sounding rockets in my save, and i haven't had that issue (long as im not running FAR, which i took out a while ago.

With the basic starting .35m core, i can load 4 experiments , 2 batteries, the Avionics package, and the nose cone chute slows things down no problem

I'd like to put my two cents in for a return to the single-piece science modules. The rack+fairing+parts thing is not as clean and gives me the heeby-jeebies 'cause I have OCD. With the single-piece science parts, I just connect one node to another, just like LEGOs. The way it is now, the avionics, science, and battery parts don't attach cleanly to the payload rack, giving me a lot to do with the offset and rotate widgets to get them centred properly. Picture the rack as an X-Y coordinate plane with the origin in the exact centre: it is impossible to get any of the pieces to attach to it at (0,0), even using placement widgets. You have to use the circle-mode rather than the octagon mode (pressing C) if you want it to look centred, but because it's not in snap-mode, you can't be sure.

The current method is:

1. Place payload rack

2. Place avionics control package

3. Use widgets to get avionics in place

4. Place battery

5. Use widgets to get battery in place

6. Place science package

7. Use widgets to get science package in place

8. Cover payload rack

I prefer this method:

1. Place science part

Can't I at least have an option when installing to use the old method?

(I don't mean to bust balls, I love this mod, what it's about, and what it does. I just don't like this bit about it, and I wanted to see if it would be easy to get that option back.)

0.2.2 is up!

Adjusted dry mass of fuel tanks to be inline with stock

Added three types of grid fins!

Added a new inline 0.35m probe core

Added an inline stack battery

Battery capacity and mass ratio inline with other stock batteries

Science experiments are a bit larger

Adjusted stats of various engines

Refreshed textures, and converted them to DDS

Hello RoverDude,

I do like these small parts, but KSP.log gives the following error:

"Cannot clone model 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/SoundingRockets/Assets/SR_Stabilizer' as model does not exist"

and indeed SR_Stabilizer.mu is missing from the assets folder.

Greets,

Jan

Do the sounding rockets fins work with FAR? I can get a basic SRB missile to fly straight with stock fins, but the sounding rocket fins make it flip backwards?

Perhaps I'm just accelerating too fast in atmosphere?

Edited by westamastaflash

The fins appear to break FAR, as in the dreaded "COL arrow re-appears".

Ripping out ModuleLiftingSurface fixes this, looks like this mod isn't handled in FerramAerospaceResearch.cfg as the stock wings are.

- - - Updated - - -

To make them work as fins, they're going to need FARWingAerodynamicModel inserted as a replacement too. Any ideas on reasonable values to plug into that module?

For the time being, I'm ignoring these parts in favour of the stock "Basic Fin", which behaves correctly.

FAR support? Please?

Edited by steve_v

I actually just finished setting up FAR configs for the 3 basic fin types. I'll send your a PR when I finish testing them. The grid fins may be beyond me, though.

Edit: ninja'd. It makes me happy that our configs are almost the same, though.

Edited by StevenRS11

The patch I linked is missing some underscores in the part names, but otherwise appears to work OK.

Yours is probably better though, as I'm really just ripping off someone else's work ;)

Hmm, is there an installation guide to Sounding rockets? I don't have the parts of sounding rockets available, and I have USI Tools in the KSP Gamedata folder, as well as the sounding rockets folder.

Unzip into gamedata is pretty much it. If you moved the location of anything beyond that you failed.

Just wanted to say that this mod still works for 1.04, and I grabbed about a thousand science points with these sounding rockets on a fresh reboot of my game.

Great job!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.