[1.12.x] Sounding Rockets! Start small. Dream big!

RoverDude

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/Features/UP_Aerospace_SL9_launch.html#.VJDGiuDF-ao

The rocket rides along a rail on the launch structure until it's up to speed.

And if you make that rail we can make a launcher vehicle with IR that can rise the rail into a vertical position for launch and FIRE! Then zoom away goes the rocket, lower the rail and drive back to the SPH.

I built one with the cone, the science, the smallest of rocket stages.

Apoapsis 40km. I know kerbals are good at making OP engines, but dayum, not even using that much mods, FAR, Deadly Rehentry, etc.

My issue is that I get that flashing red message of "DONT DEPLOY CHUTES ITS BADE"

The thing is... these are very skinny very light rockets. their stats are worse than stock or KW SRBs. I had Ferram do a sanity check on the numbers and we agreed on the balance (minus one tweak which I did). So less a case of them being OP and more that stock Aero setting incorrect expectations.

Thanks.

Issue remains with FAR tough. Rockets travel WAY too much and its basically impossible to get low enough speeds for chutes unless you open them at 20km or something. Very nice anyway!

Are you running FAR & ISP Difficulty Scaler? I have found that everything flies too far under FAR with stock engine performance. Just curious since I am planing my .90 install mod setup and this looks like a good new one to add.

I get your point, but it still feels OP to me that I dont even need to bother with second stages to get High atmosphere reports, I was expecting such tiny sized rockets to not even be able to hit 10km.

Also bear in mind: Miniaturization usually reduces every stat on an engine, the SRB's and stuff on other mods are understandable since their weight and size are much larger.

Anyway, very nice mod, allows me to skip the early launchad grinding (that was actually nerfed in 0.9, Or is it just me that I cant get ground samples.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you running FAR & ISP Difficulty Scaler? I have found that everything flies too far under FAR with stock engine performance. Just curious since I am planing my .90 install mod setup and this looks like a good new one to add.

Not using much mods atm, not the second one you mentioned, just FAR and DR, with a couple of non atmospheric related mods, like contracts or strategies

Edited by guto8797

Anyway, very nice mod, allows me to skip the early launchad grinding (that was actually nerfed in 0.9, Or is it just me that I cant get ground samples=

Gotta upgrade your Research Facility. :wink:

Anyways, I wanted to say how perfect this is for the new update. Fills the gap of what's missing in the stock parts for building a space program from the ground up nicely.

Actually, being a high power model rocket guy, I not surprised at the performance that you are seeing. Especially if you are running FAR without KIDS to adjust the engine performance. It's not very hard to make a model that will break the 4-5k feet range with a little tiny 29 mm motor and amateur rockets have hit 100k+ feet

. 5-20k feet FAA wavers are relatively common for the larger models.

Albeit we expect some sort of scaling since Kerbin is 10x smaller than Earth :D

Awesome mod, its just that I would love to make a Huge rocket like a V2 to get into space bare minimum, but If I do that It would be possible to someway end up in Duna :P (jk ofc)

Albeit we expect some sort of scaling since Kerbin is 10x smaller than Earth :D

Awesome mod, its just that I would love to make a Huge rocket like a V2 to get into space bare minimum, but If I do that It would be possible to someway end up in Duna :P (jk ofc)

With a few major caveats, you don't need a big rocket to get to space. The rocket equation specifies a payload fraction, but not a minimum rocket size: in theory, you could build a 50 gram Ariane 5 and get a 1g payload to orbit.

The primary difficulties are atmosphere (inertia/thrust scale as the cube, atmospheric drag scales as the square), difficulties engineering small, efficient liquid-fuel engines, and difficulties engineering small control systems and radios.

These factors impose certain size limits on rocket boosters, but it's not as steep as one would think. Suborbital rockets can be just a few hundred kilograms, and the smallest orbital rockets I've seen were in the range of 9-10 tonnes (the Vanguard and some Japanese rocket).

Also consider these have no controls, and your probe core dies fast. And there are no liquid engines. I spent part of my evening fiddling with launch sticks and fin angles to get one of these fellows to land in the middle of the desert continent for some sweet science. Which is pretty much their intended use. Tho they also make fantastic JATOs...

XrzBqRP.png

Just started using the new parts and noticed that the Aeronomy Sensor Array, Meteorological Survey Array, and Materials Study Mini-lab are are all three called "Meteorological Survey Package" in the parts menu. The Engineering and Instrument Test Bay is rightly called "Engineering Survey Package".

Also the USI Space Industries parts, or other part mods I have installed, don't show up in the Filter by Manufacturer tab in the new advanced part list. Any way to add a mod's manufacturer to that specific list?

The Filter by Resource option also adds your "Stored Charge" resource automatically, but defaults to the icon for solid fuel.

Other than the ascetics, functions great! Excellent Tier-1 rockets!

I just put them on the wing tips and go straight up.

They're quite good and easily get you to a nice height and speed before running out. I want to make a C-130 next and see if I can get it into the air with this, but I'm busy in career are now.

They are also good and cheap boosters for smaller rockets when you need that little bit of a push at the start of a launch.

They also seem small enough not to damage the launch pad when they fall back on to it.

Jato1.png

Okay, these are -fun- to mess with, and help you get a lot of "quick science' out of the way in a hurry, considering you can also technically mount the experiments to things, and carry them with you, or maybe mount a bunch on a little rover and drive around triggering each batch, but still, helps since I can just launch four straight up, four 'towads the ocean' and the other four towards the grasslands, and get a decent little 'starter batch' for 'not too much cost' even without using missions to trigger extra money

This ain't cheating...

This is Kerbal engineering at its finest!

Issue with FAR is that if the rocket tilts Chute first its gone. It hits the ground at about 500m/s. You need to place the fins near the bottom to try and shift the center of mass, but that causes a ridiculous ammount of lift, and I've had the rocket go upwards after the cutes deploy.

How does the launch stick work? I tired attaching it to the bottom node of the first stage engine but it didn't come off. I would like to use them to hold my rockets off the ground (With some structural girders for additional support) but I don't want them riding my rocket up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.