[1.12.x] Sounding Rockets! Start small. Dream big!

RoverDude

Would you provide patches to include FARControllableSurface into the following parts?

• UmbraSpaceIndustries/SoundingRockets/Parts/SR_GridFin_01/SR_Gridfin_01
  • UmbraSpaceIndustries/SoundingRockets/Parts/SR_GridFin_02/SR_Gridfin_02
  • UmbraSpaceIndustries/SoundingRockets/Parts/SR_GridFin_03/SR_Gridfin_03

I would much appreciate that.

Reason:

Edited by Gordon Dry

11 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Would you provide patches to include FARControllableSurface into the following parts?

• UmbraSpaceIndustries/SoundingRockets/Parts/SR_GridFin_01/SR_Gridfin_01
  • UmbraSpaceIndustries/SoundingRockets/Parts/SR_GridFin_02/SR_Gridfin_02
  • UmbraSpaceIndustries/SoundingRockets/Parts/SR_GridFin_03/SR_Gridfin_03

I would much appreciate that.

Reason:

Same answer as the other thread.  @RoverDude takes pull requests.

• 6 months later...
18 minutes ago, Angstinator said:

I wonder if I'm the only one who considers the stageable fairings to be too weak. They take forever to clear the craft they're staged from.

No problems here.  Admittedly, I usually spin-stabilize these rockets and dump them at the apex of the flight.  So there's motion pushing them away, and not much air resistance holding them on.

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

No problems here.  Admittedly, I usually spin-stabilize these rockets and dump them at the apex of the flight.  So there's motion pushing them away, and not much air resistance holding them on.

Ditto here, no problems. But you can always increase the force of the fairing decoupler with a MM patch:

@PART[SR_PayloadFairing_*]:FINAL {
	@MODULE[ModuleDecouple] {
		@ejectionFroce *= 4
	}
}

There's a 4x increase in the push from separation, set it to whatever you want. I checked and both fairing sizes use the same force so I made the patch apply to both equally

In case it wasn't clear - I quote DStaal but my MM patch was in response to @Angstinator

Edited by Drew Kerman

On 5/4/2015 at 11:59 AM, Gfurst said:

I've made a patch for Realchute compatibility, Seems to be all working properly now, with some help of stupid chris. Just copy the text below and apply to a custom .cfg file.

All seems to be working except the model for the .350 nosecone, the chute get visually duplicated, the real one moving, and another one static to the craft, mirroring the real one.

@PART[SR_Nosecone_35]:FOR[RealChute]
{

@category = none
	@mass = 0.02
	!sound_parachute_open
	!sound_parachute_single

!MODULE[ModuleParachute]{}

MODULE
	{
		name = RealChuteModule
		caseMass = 0.02
		timer = 0
		mustGoDown = true
		cutSpeed = 0.5
		spareChutes = 1

PARACHUTE
		{
			material = Nylon
			preDeployedDiameter = 0.8
			deployedDiameter = 14
			minIsPressure = false
			minPressure = 6000
			deploymentAlt = 600
			cutAlt = -1
			preDeploymentSpeed = 1
			deploymentSpeed = 4
			preDeploymentAnimation = PreDeploy
			deploymentAnimation = Deploy
			parachuteName = String
			capName = Cap
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ProceduralChute
	}

EFFECTS
	{
		rcpredeploy
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_parachute_open
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rcdeploy
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_parachute_single
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rccut
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_cut
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rcrepack
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_repack
				volume = 1
			}
		}
	}
}

@PART[SR_Nosecone_625]:FOR[RealChute]
{

@category = none
	@mass = 0.04
	!sound_parachute_open
	!sound_parachute_single

MODULE
	{
		name = RealChuteModule
		caseMass = 0.04
		timer = 0
		mustGoDown = true
		cutSpeed = 0.5
		spareChutes = 1

PARACHUTE
		{
			material = Nylon
			preDeployedDiameter = 1
			deployedDiameter = 18
			minIsPressure = false
			minPressure = 8000
			deploymentAlt = 600
			cutAlt = -1
			preDeploymentSpeed = 1
			deploymentSpeed = 6
			parachuteName = String
			capName = Cap
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ProceduralChute
	}

EFFECTS
	{
		rcpredeploy
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rcdeploy
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rccut
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rcrepack
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}
	}
}

@PART[SR_PackChute_35]:FOR[RealChute]
{

@category = none
	@mass = 0.02
	!sound_parachute_open
	!sound_parachute_single

MODULE
	{
		name = RealChuteModule
		caseMass = 0.02
		timer = 0
		mustGoDown = true
		cutSpeed = 0.5
		spareChutes = 1

PARACHUTE
		{
			material = Nylon
			preDeployedDiameter = 0.8
			deployedDiameter = 14
			minIsPressure = false
			minPressure = 6000
			deploymentAlt = 600
			cutAlt = -1
			preDeploymentSpeed = 1
			deploymentSpeed = 4
			parachuteName = String
			capName = Pack
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ProceduralChute
	}

EFFECTS
	{
		rcpredeploy
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rcdeploy
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rccut
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}

rcrepack
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				volume = 1
			}
		}
	}
}

This still work in 1.3.1?  The chutes from this and the survival pack have always acted so nutty I was hoping that replacing them with real chute modules would help?  

13 hours ago, eberkain said:

This still work in 1.3.1?  The chutes from this and the survival pack have always acted so nutty I was hoping that replacing them with real chute modules would help?  

You could just click the releases link in the OP and get your answer (hint, yes).

5 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

You could just click the releases link in the OP and get your answer (hint, yes).

I mean't the MM patch for making them real chutes, I know RoverDude's mods stay updated.  The patch was posted over 2 years ago, so I was asking if anyone knew if it still worked?  (hint, yes it does).   I just have to figure out how to apply it to the DERP chutes and were all good.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, for those who don't follow the github page ..

I noticed that SR parts have no entryCost; so, I created a MMConfig to add this .  It also stays with KSP's standard of Entry cost being 3x part cost.

@PART[SR_*]
{
    @entryCost = #$cost$
    @entryCost *= 3
}

• 1 month later...

@RoverDude can you add a short range radio to your Avionics Package so we can at least launch these things as our first craft in a career game?

Call me noobish. I forgot the battery. doh. Man I'm out of sorts. I haven't played KSP much recently. heh.

Edited by inigma

• 5 weeks later...

Still playing with these rockets! I'm at the point where I can get one to barely scratch 9km, then my next iteration flings out to 250K. I obviously am missing some middle-ground design work :) 

@Drew Kerman -- I may  just crib from KSA for the first few sounding rocket builds, since I'm experimenting with a slow-start program (as enforced by Kerbal Construction Time) -- spin stabilization has been an epiphany to me! Is the LF/O engine in the Mk4+ a custom part, or am I missing something from Sounding Rockets? A custom-tweaked aerospike?

I'm also missing my rocket plumes, but that may be because I just installed the latest Real Plume and it broke/bonked something. :I I see it has some configs (provided by you!) added back in January but I'll have to try some reinstalling in case CKAN missed something.

16 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Is the LF/O engine in the Mk4+ a custom part, or am I missing something from Sounding Rockets? A custom-tweaked aerospike?

it's a sounding rocket part but yea it's really supposed to be more like an aerospike. I probably should have gone with a 0.35 rocket from another mod pack that looks more like a traditional bell buuuuttt... I dunno it looked fine to me just have most of the machinery inside the tank body I guess if I have to explain it. So yea look deep in the tech tree for it

23 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

See

but that only fixes the plumes, the sound is still missing.

Aha! -- fantastic. Even though it confirms things to be "broken" -- it's a relief to know it's not something I did wrong. Thanks for your work on that.

23 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

it's a sounding rocket part but yea it's really supposed to be more like an aerospike. I probably should have gone with a 0.35 rocket from another mod pack that looks more like a traditional bell buuuuttt... I dunno it looked fine to me just have most of the machinery inside the tank body I guess if I have to explain it. So yea look deep in the tech tree for it

Shoot -- it's one more tech level higher. Guess I gotta drive around the KSC scooping up some more science.

14 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Still playing with these rockets! I'm at the point where I can get one to barely scratch 9km, then my next iteration flings out to 250K. I obviously am missing some middle-ground design work :) 

@Drew Kerman -- I may  just crib from KSA for the first few sounding rocket builds, since I'm experimenting with a slow-start program (as enforced by Kerbal Construction Time) -- spin stabilization has been an epiphany to me! Is the LF/O engine in the Mk4+ a custom part, or am I missing something from Sounding Rockets? A custom-tweaked aerospike?

I'm also missing my rocket plumes, but that may be because I just installed the latest Real Plume and it broke/bonked something. :I I see it has some configs (provided by you!) added back in January but I'll have to try some reinstalling in case CKAN missed something.

delete the sounding rockets.cfg in real plume-stock config folder. i prefer stock plumes over missing sound and custom plumes.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, GrubbyZebra said:

Having an issue where my sounding rockets are sinking with water landings. Am i missing something or is it just the cardboard getting wet (I don't recall this with 1.3, but can't remember exactly).

I can't remember exactly when it happened off the top of my head, but the buoyancy model has changed slightly since this mod was last updated.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 3:45 PM, GrubbyZebra said:

Having an issue where my sounding rockets are sinking with water landings. Am i missing something or is it just the cardboard getting wet (I don't recall this with 1.3, but can't remember exactly).

On 7/4/2018 at 6:10 PM, DStaal said:

I can't remember exactly when it happened off the top of my head, but the buoyancy model has changed slightly since this mod was last updated.

Yeah -- some/most of those parts just drop into the water. adding a tiny tank etc. can act as a float in the mean-time. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.