Floating Aircraft Carrier (100% stock) - V2 OUT NOW!

gGATORr

Hey everyone,

I believe (and please correct me -with evidence- if I'm wrong) that I have created the first ever 100% stock floating aircraft carrier!

Keep in mind that this is just the first version, and more of a proof-of-concept than anything else.

NABQxmxl.png

It works in the same manner as my Infinity Buggy, and cruises at ~ 4.0 m/s.

It has no problem carrying four small jets, and you don't have to worry too much about balancing the weight. Once airborne, it provides a surprisingly rock-steady platform for launching and recovering aircraft (no matter how bad your landings are).

Here's a video of jets launching from and landing on the carrier:

HOW TO OPERATE

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1: Once launched, press spacebar

(SAS is required)

Thats it. It floats and tracks on it's own. The only thing to do after that is point it where you want to go. Also, like the Infinity Buggy, you must throttle up the engine to gain altitude.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Let me know what you think!

GATOR

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOADS:

Floating Carrier w/ no aircraft

Floating Carrier w/ 4 jets (as seen in pics and video)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Floating Carrier V2

Basically the original with a superstructure on one side, the V2 just looks cooler. It also has lights for night ops.

Part count: 907 w/out aircraft

NOTES ON OPERATION OF FLOATING CARRIER V2

---------------------------------------------------------------

- There are 4 large tanks on the underside of the carrier (2 fore and 2 aft). These are for balancing. Simply adjust the levels of fuel in each tank to adjust the c.g. to accommodate different payloads. Adjustment can also be done mid-flight by pumping fuel from one tank into another.

- When you launch, before releasing the clamps, right-click the small probe core on the very front of the carrier, and select 'control from here'. This results in more stability and ease of handling.

- Due to the asymmetry of this design, the carrier will tend to crab in one direction or the other unless it's perfectly level.

- The V2 is not as resilient to time-warping as the original.

---------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD (w/out aircraft)

Edited by gGATORr
release of V2

Sweet! I've seen someone dock with another plane in mid area, but I think you might be the first for a flying carrier. Good work sir, keep it up!

(Also, he said what keeps it up if you look at the description for the buggy-some carefully controlled glitchyness combined with sas to keep the carrier stable)

What's keeping it airborne?

Read the HOW IT WORKS section of the Infinity Buggy post. Same principle

Sweet! I've seen someone dock with another plane in mid area, but I think you might be the first for a flying carrier. Good work sir, keep it up!

(Also, he said what keeps it up if you look at the description for the buggy-some carefully controlled glitchyness combined with sas to keep the carrier stable)

Thank you! I've tried doing the mid air docking as well. Fail every time haha

And here's me using giant jet clusters.

Does it work? Cause that'd be really impressive!

I've seen someone use a game glitch to have a floating landing pad. I do believe this is the first inifiglide landing pad though.

Can you make a video of it?

Yea, there's a video linked in the original post where it says "Here's a video of jets launching from and landing on the carrier:"

very very cool!

I need to go make one of these now :P

I wanna see it when it's done! I'm gonna attempt some different designs myself when I get some more free time. Probably a little more asymmetric like a real carrier.

zekes how about reversing the effect for engine-less submarines? (well up facing engines at least)

Interesting idea! Let me know if you try it. If not, I will

I've tried making a submarine that utilitizes this technique and it seems that the nature of water prohibits the use of the system in a submarine as you need more acceleration downwards the more parts you want to submerge well after trying with a small POC that preformed poorly and from my experience of building submarines in KSP i've come to the aforementioned conclusion

Can I land hard on it? Does it to down to slow you some?

If you're asking if it slows you down, no. But the Jets provided with it have RCS thrusters in reverse direction for brakes. You can toggle forward/backward thrust with Action group 1.

Just watched the video. I want one, I want one, I want one! It looks so cool floating around the KSC.

By all means, download it and float around to your heart's content! Hell, might as well try a barrel roll too!

I've tried making a submarine that utilitizes this technique and it seems that the nature of water prohibits the use of the system in a submarine as you need more acceleration downwards the more parts you want to submerge well after trying with a small POC that preformed poorly and from my experience of building submarines in KSP i've come to the aforementioned conclusion

Thanks for the report. I had a feeling it wouldn't go too well... which is a shame, cause that would be really cool.

Can I land hard on it? Does it to down to slow you some?

Yea, I had some very hard (and crash) landings, and it hardly budges. And I'm not entirely sure what you're asking in the second part there...

Nice idea, might add some missiles to the jets to shoot the platform and watch it explode while flying xD

Ooohhh, that'd be fun! didn't think of that...

Imagine someday in multiplayer having two opposing teams each with one of these, trying to shoot down the other team's

this is soooooo coooolll!!!

but it needs to be bigger

Thanks man. I completely agree! If your computer can handle it, make a bigger version and share it! Unfortunately, this is about as big as my computer can go without making the game unplayable.

XD combining BD armoury with this =Awesome!!!

Also, rep to any one who can land this on the roof of the VAB.

Yes. All the rep.

By all means, download it and float around to your heart's content! Hell, might as well try a barrel roll too!

Thanks for the report. I had a feeling it wouldn't go too well... which is a shame, cause that would be really cool.

Yea, I had some very hard (and crash) landings, and it hardly budges. And I'm not entirely sure what you're asking in the second part there...

Ooohhh, that'd be fun! didn't think of that...

Imagine someday in multiplayer having two opposing teams each with one of these, trying to shoot down the other team's

Thanks man. I completely agree! If your computer can handle it, make a bigger version and share it! Unfortunately, this is about as big as my computer can go without making the game unplayable.

Yes. All the rep.

KATEC's got plenty of missiles, including SAM's. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.