Mk-1 Personal shuttle

So before 0.90 comes out and everyone builds space shuttles, I thought I'd jump the gun.

This is a Mk-1 sized space shuttle for taking a single Kerbal up to LKO. I has docking capability and about 500m/s dV using its OMS engines.

Its not actually finished yet. Fuel is a bit too short so it uses its own dV to achieve orbit. Also the balance isn't quite right so the ascent is... interesting. I'll upload the craft file once these details are sorted.

Craft File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxqtngs1z976fl0/Mk-1%20Shuttle.craft?dl=0

Launch at 75% throttle to allow the SAS chance to adjust. Then you can throttle up.

It uses a conventional shuttle layout without engines on the fuel tank.

gGmKlzn.png

Boosters separated

mtpsNXg.png

Orbit Achieved!

0ADga0L.png

The glide ratio is positively terrifying. The flare on landing is essential to reduce vertical speed.

zHcOner.png

Back at base. I overshot and had to use the Island.

t9dkxQN.png

Edited by Frozen_Heart

Couldn't comment before, but now that I have the time I have to say: that is cute indeed. And one suggestion: I think if you had the ET drain from the bottom up (so it's CoM moves forwards as it empties) you would have a smaller change of CoM/CoT during flight. It's only a hunch eyeballing things, but I have the impression you should have pitch authority pretty much maxed out after you drop the SRBs. Only a visual estimate, mind you, I could be very wrong, but going by my record lately balancing weird stuff... In any case, if you still have control problems, just add a crapton of fuel more and a couple of vernors on top: you will be amazed at the control authority you gain suddenly. That's the brute force way. :)

Oh, and add a probe core so you can use it as a rescue ship! That way you can legitimately use this on career.

Rune. Good job!

I think I just made a cuter shuttle. :wink:

Qh5GKDS.jpg

Anyway, very nice little shuttle. I especially like that it's got full docking capabilities and a good amount of on-orbit TWR, which is a little difficult for a Shuttle of that small size... of course, having either on my absurd little Shuttle is currently a bit of a pipe dream :)

This is awesome, but boy is that a lot of RCS fuel for that craft. The SAS in the cockpit should be enough to move you around in space.

It uses O-10 engines as its OMS, so it needs that Monoprop to circularize and De-orbit. As you can see, the spacecraft doesn't have any fuel, and even if it did, the main engine is tilted so it can't use it.

It uses O-10 engines as its OMS, so it needs that Monoprop to circularize and De-orbit. As you can see, the spacecraft doesn't have any fuel, and even if it did, the main engine is tilted so it can't use it.

Whoops, I missed the tilted engine. And I thought that was a fuel tank behind the cockpit. Just makes this thing even cooler.

This is awesome, but boy is that a lot of RCS fuel for that craft. The SAS in the cockpit should be enough to move you around in space.

Monoprop is both for RCS and the OMS in this craft. As astropapi1 pointed out the main engine can only be used while attached to the external fuel tank.

Feel free to do whatever you want with it. :) The craft should be up later today once I motivate myself to correct the problems. (And implement Rune's suggestions)

Glad to be of help! You might also want to show it off in the old shuttle thread, I just necro'ed it seeing how we were all with the shuttle bug again.

Rune. Now I really hope I was right! :rolleyes:

Ok I've overcome my laziness and put up the craft file. :)

A few small changes have been made at Rune's suggestion.

These include:

More Fuel in the external tank. The OMS is no longer needed to achieve a 75km orbit. I usually drop it just before to avoid debris.

A probe core for rescue missions. The shuttle can be sent up unmanned to rescue those pesky kerbals.

Fuel flow changes to make control a lot easier.

ysVT0vW.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.