CP-1 Custom Command Pod (DIY Sim Pit)

ThereIs0nly0ne

Someone over on the Elite: Dangerous forums mentioned that there's a lot of activity with people building control panels, sim pits and such. The reason for posting is to perhaps give some ideas for a command pod - the CP-1 as I have called it - which will be an all in 1 solution for all things space simulation. It's still a WIP but is progressing reasonably well so far. It has an Elite theme.

The final build will have two HOTAS pods located either side of the seat with a stow-able console unit in the middle. The console unit will allow the attachment of custom control panels for use with different games/sims.

Initial concept picture with a materials list:

InitialDesign2_zpscdb187f2.jpg

The HOTAS cases have been made:

NotGlued2_zps433fb626.jpg

throttlePanel4_zpsed09e517.jpg

The side pods have been made using various materials for the inserts (ribbed rubber, automotive mesh and artwork behind cast acrylic:

PodArt_zps31d1fb41.jpg

ArtworkIn2_zps613dc92c.jpg

The seat has been created using MDF, upholstery foam and leather vinyl material:

DualPod4_zps1b882fe5.jpg

DualPod5_zps5b31b6a7.jpg

I'm currently working on the sides:

SideWindow2_zpsafa708f3.jpg

SideWindow1_zps285bfe60.jpg

Well, I hope these images show up, and if they do, it's of some interest here.

Edit: A couple more pictures:

WithoutArrows_zps639b37ce.jpg

Upholstery2_zps6c622f1d.jpg

Edited by ThereIs0nly0ne

A bit more work done on this for anyone interested.

With the base cut to the correct size, all the pieces so far have been dry assembled and some blanking pads made for the front of the seat:

PadsAndConsole3_zpsd5abb4f8.jpg

SeatBlankingPlate6_zps30bc07e9.jpg

The inside and outside of the side pieces have been beveled:

Tops4_zps4b582a95.jpg

Top shoulder sections have been made and attached to the sides so they can be worked on as single pieces (there's a lot of filling and sanding to do here):

Tops3_zps68bc6095.jpg

And some Ejection Seat panels made for the sides. These have 2 LEDs. One is a constant red, the other alternates between blue and red. The cap head bolts will be replaced with slightly bigger ones:

SidePanel3_zps915796d8.jpg

PanelMounted2_zpsffc35e35.jpg

Nice! Always have wanted to make something like this, never got around to it..

Thank you :) These projects do take a bit of time!

Just to give an idea on the styling of this when complete, it will be similar to my previous racing simulation rig. It looks much more effective once painted and varnished:

AlmostComplete_zpse5919a52.jpg

ShowCase8_zpsf097cf37.jpg

FlatBlackFrontCloseup_zps7b4c0112.jpg

Something which may be of more interest is the dashboard/control panel I made. Real carbon fibre was used for this:

CableFitted_zps74e2fafd.jpg

FinalDash4_zpse50e0757.jpg

DashFitting4_zps060a46e3.jpg

Again, just some ideas for someone hopefully.

Edited by ThereIs0nly0ne

Cheats because it's not back down to gravity. :P

That's gone completely over my head GregroxMun :confused:

I made some more panels for the seat and tidied up the section where the side panel meets the top shoulder panel (another pass of filler is required here):

TopHandlePanel1_zps8aca83e3.jpg

AfterFiller1_zpsb97e9cc2.jpg

MeterOn1_zpsbe21e8f8.jpg

MeterOn2_zpsead19014.jpg

The display is just a volt meter; no function other than aesthetics.

Thanks wasmic and SmartS=true, your comments are very much appreciated!

I started working on the front of the seat. The lower blanking section fitted here will have another piece of thin, 6mm MDF fitted over the top attached by cap head bolts and threaded inserts - these will look infinitely better than screws.

FrontPanel_zps7f787bc0.jpg

I also started working on the centre console support mechanism which will be stow-able. There's quite a bit more work to do with this yet. The platform will have several cables running to it through the split convoluted sheathing to allow different control options to be used:

Stowable1_zpse38cc96a.jpg

ThanksCaptain Sierra. Yes, since I put the additional padding into the main seat panel, it feels very comfortable. I spent lot of time working on the rake and the angled upper section of the seat - lots of re-cutting involved there - no point in making something which doesn't feel good to sit in.

Cheers longbyte1, I'm looking forwards to seeing this completed too, but not as much as my wife :) I've been using Photobucket for a few years now and can't bring myself to re-organise everything elsewhere!

• 2 months later...

That looks real sharp! I like the clean look with all the chamfers and angled cuts.

Wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing some of your construction/design techniques? Do you design in software first? What tools do you use to cutout your parts? I assume you use a router around all the panels for the nice chamfer? What do you use to fasten parts together (screws, bots, glue etc?)

Cant wait to see it painted!

• 3 months later...

Sorry about the rather long delay in responding, I've been a little distracted with a few other projects.

You can find details on the paneling approach on the Instructables site, here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-interesting-MDF-panels-with-inlays/

I tend to freestyle my way through projects with just a basic concept laid out at the start with a number of key features to include. Fastening is generally a mixture of screw/glue and bolts depending on whether things need to be removed for transport or adjustment purposes. Lots of router work used throughout.

• 3 weeks later...
Man, that is one smexy looking' chair. how comfy is it... Aka, have you sat in it for 8 hours yet? We need the long term retrograde attitude endurance evaluation here! :confused:

Thanks for that richfiles. I spent a lot of time getting the ergonomics right for this and ended up re-doing some elements; I increased the rake, added more foam to the main seat pad and split the back section to angle it forwards a little. It seems comfortable to me but I've only tested it watching TV for a couple of hours at a time and have not gamed in it yet. I'm not concerned about it the comfort with the testing I've done so far.

I'm an engineer by trade (electronic and mechanical and software) and I appreciate just how much thought and time and effort and attention to detail goes into a project like this. The quality of this build is absolutely tremendous.

I'm genuinely in awe of your skills and motivation. I tend to do most (75%) of my engineering in the digital domain and have less experience in physically making large and complex assemblies like this. The prospect of undertaking carpentry fills me with dread. Wood is an evil and uncooperative medium in my hands. :)

Do you work in the movie industry? This wouldn't be out of place on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise.

Fantastic work.

I'm an engineer by trade (electronic and mechanical and software) and I appreciate just how much thought and time and effort and attention to detail goes into a project like this. The quality of this build is absolutely tremendous.

I'm genuinely in awe of your skills and motivation. I tend to do most (75%) of my engineering in the digital domain and have less experience in physically making large and complex assemblies like this. The prospect of undertaking carpentry fills me with dread. Wood is an evil and uncooperative medium in my hands. k_smiley.gif

Do you work in the movie industry? This wouldn't be out of place on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise.

Fantastic work.

Thanks very much for your kind words wossname, it's very much appreciated! I work in IT so this is really one of the only chances I get to be creative in a physical capacity.

Here's a post which shows how to make the inlay panels if anyone is interested. These are for the side pieces for the headrest.

Cut the basic shape:

HeadrestSide_zpsj81fx2wf.jpg

Clone it (I use 2x18mm and 2x12mm MDF sections):

SidePiecesCloned_zpse9qs5not.jpg

Cutout the windows (I mark out the window area, drill access holes inside the window area, rough cut it out with a jigsaw, nail wood guide strips next to the lines and use a flush trim router bit to get a clean cut - if anyone wants any more info on this aspect, please let me know):

HeadrestOuter1_zps35tzt0wr.jpg

Inlay area:

HeadrestInlay_zpssdc5rqpw.jpg

Light bevel for the inner piece:

HeadrestThinPanel_zpshqyevsw1.jpg

Inner and outer panels together:

HeadrestDoubleSide2_zpsctirzvmm.jpg

Close up:

HeadrestDoubleSide1_zpsbe2rikz3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Continuing on from the previous post, I've made the rubber inlays for these panels:

Backing board:

Backers_zpsaopxopuc.jpg

Ribded rubber sheet cut to size and stuck to the backing board:

BackerRubber_zps7x33yuqe.jpg

Inserted into the panel. After paining/finishing, these will be glued in place:

InlayIn_zpsmpystb0q.jpg

RubberIn_zpsvuyerozu.jpg

Close up:

RubberInClose_zpsumtkqd9m.jpg

I still have to cut the window into the inside 12mm panel.

To further explain how the panels are completed.

Take the thinner backing plate and mark out a line so it will provide complete access to the routed inlay area. Drill some holes for the jigsaw and cut:

Back1_zpswmtal1j4.jpg

Back2_zpsnqnuq3wa.jpg

The inner section can then be glued to the outer section (this should then be filled, primed, pained and varnished):

Back3_zpsxza2vmex.jpg

The inlay can be placed into position and glued in place (again, once the painting has been completed):

back4_zpsvfcol79j.jpg

the back can then also be glued (and screwed, once complete) into place.

Back5_zpsu33mmhqo.jpg

This will give a seamless finish to the edge. Here's a closeup of one of the panel edges from my last project:

Side_zpsnmrrhuvt.jpg

Hope this proves useful for someone ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.