We need this.

zack2014

They sure are pretty, but I\'m almost positive they are rendered. They appear to be copyrighted to a single person. Photos from the mars rover or other mars probes would have copyrights to space agencies.

I wouldn\'t mind scenes like that in KSP, but I don\'t know if it can be done .

Define 'fake', please.

If your definition of fake includes all but raw, untouched photographs, you might find yourself in a situation where the vast majority of images in scientific publications are 'fakes'.

Did you know that pretty much all pictures of Mars\' surface (as in, the ones taken by Spirit, Opportunity and other probes) have been coloured red because the public perception of Mars is that of a 'Red Planet'?

Or that the cameras in said rovers are greyscale cameras, and the colour information is acquired by taking three photos through red, green and blue filters and then combining them in post-processing?

Or that the HST (Hubble Space Telescope) images are typically combinations of three images, taken with three filters that correspond to elemental composition of the nebulas, rather than real colour?

If these images are rendered, but the 3D model and textures they use are from the real thing, that doesn\'t make the images fake - it makes them visualizations.

Fake pics are fake.

Not really a constructive post there.

The pics are not fake, because we are looking at them. Obviously they exist, therefore they are real.

The question is 'Photograph or Rendered?'

Personally, I don\'t care. They\'re pretty.

We can however, get down to brass tacks and ask ourselves. 'What have these images been rendered from?' If it\'s an artists imagination, then it\'s pretty. If it\'s rendered from actual geographical data from Mars, then it\'s Pretty Awesome.

I\'d venture a guess that these are artistic renders that used actual photos as start points or textures.

It\'s one thing to manipulate an image from a less than ideal look into something that represents what it would look like to the human eye vs. applying artistic license to create something that does not exist naturally. The latter would be the 'fake'.

Arrr!

Capt\'n Skunky

...there\'s an ocean. On Mars. That\'s pretty undeniably fake to me.

Can anyone read the copyright notice?

Can we stop debating this? It\'s obvious that they are rendered. I think it would be pretty cool if the terrain engine could pull this off though. Still want my Munar/Murtian caves first.

I want asteroids with giant tunnels that have space slugs living in them like star wars. That would be awesome.

You spelled Space Kraken wrong. And what does Star Wars have to do with a Space Kraken?

Not really a constructive post there.

The pics are not fake, because we are looking at them. Obviously they exist, therefore they are real.

fake/f?k/

Noun: A thing that is not genuine; a forgery or sham.

Adjective: Not genuine; counterfeit.

Verb: Forge or counterfeit (something).

Synonyms: noun. forgery - counterfeit - sham - fraud - imitation

adjective. false - counterfeit - spurious - bogus - sham - dummy

verb. counterfeit - forge - falsify - fabricate - simulate

When someone remarks that a woman has fake tits, do you push your glasses up on your nose and launch into a philosophical tirade about what is \'real\' and \'fake\' and whether or not we exist? If so, do you get punched in the face often? The page says 'stunning pictures of Mars\' Surface', which to any common observer would make them think that they are real photos of real mars from a real camera. They are not real photos. They are completely artificial constructs, and only the two showing Olympus Mons sloppily smeared into a spherical shape even remotely approach being a \'real photo\', insofar as there\'s something in it that is a real picture of mars, but the picture it is in is in no way any sort of actual, real photo ever taken by anything that ever has or is in, on, or around Mars.