[1.1.2] [v1.3.0] Science Funding: career mode with no contracts! (2 may 2016)

Ippo

I just woke up with a terrible fever and I'm going to work. I will update in ~8 hours, although I suspect it doesn't need changing.

edit: make it 12 hours. Damn flu :/

Confirmed: this should work fine in 0.90. Considering that I won't be playing 0.90 for a while, let me know if there are problems.

Edited by sal_vager

Wow, can't believe I missed this! Thank you, this is exactly what the career mode needed. I'll likely turn down the money per science from the default so I still get a bonus to doing contracts here and there, especially since some of the new contracts sound fun, but I hated being so limited by the contracts.

I like it, it certainly stops the grind...

The default settings feel like the kerbank is backing a truck of money into my administrative centrum every single time someone says something smart. I don't mind getting a little extra, but maybe this is too generous?

I don't know, what do others think?

It should not be a cheat right? I mean we have cheats.

I like it, it certainly stops the grind...

The default settings feel like the kerbank is backing a truck of money into my administrative centrum every single time someone says something smart. I don't mind getting a little extra, but maybe this is too generous?

I don't know, what do others think?

It should not be a cheat right? I mean we have cheats.

My personal settings are 800 for funds and 0.2 for rep :)

Excellent! I was originally playing science mode before .90 because I just coudn't get into the contracts. Then for .90 I had funds bonus set to 1000%, because I like the some of the career features, but not really dealing with money for buying parts. Now this mod!

Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad mod, but... you do understand that science points is a finite resource, right? You may add some with mods like DMagic, but eventually you will end up with no funds, simply because you've already grinded all available science. Which means end of your career.

To each his own, I guess...

with biomes on all bodies? I don't even think Scott Manley can get "ALL" the science possible in stock, talk about hours of boredom.

What about a form of monthly funding based on you reputation? Without contracts you could make it so doing science experiments give reputation, and to make it balanced you could make reputation degrade over time so you can't just afk with timewarp for money. The degrading reputation also kind of makes sense realistically, people get bored and uninterested the longer it takes between major space agencies doing anything.

Enhancement request: instead of getting a new dialog on recovery for each science report taken, can we just get an overall "this mission recovered X science, giving you Y funds and Z reputation" dialog instead? It's spammy to have to click through several dialogs.

Why not just use strategies to turn science into funding?

Because I've been turning into regex since 0.24 was released, except I'm a lot more grumpy than he was: I honestly can't say I enjoy any feature about the contracts system, including strategies. I don't care about their existence: I don't know what strategies are available, I'm not sure how they work, and I have no plans to find it out soon ;)

What about a form of monthly funding based on you reputation? Without contracts you could make it so doing science experiments give reputation, and to make it balanced you could make reputation degrade over time so you can't just afk with timewarp for money. The degrading reputation also kind of makes sense realistically, people get bored and uninterested the longer it takes between major space agencies doing anything.

I think there's a mod somewhere that adds monthly fundings, although I can't remember the name right now.

Enhancement request: instead of getting a new dialog on recovery for each science report taken, can we just get an overall "this mission recovered X science, giving you Y funds and Z reputation" dialog instead? It's spammy to have to click through several dialogs.

I wanted to do it, but then got lazy. It's slightly more complicated than you'd expect, and I am using a modified version of the plugin that just doesn't even tell you how many funds you got, so it's not an issue for me :P

I'm open to patches but I don't think I'm gonna work on this anytime soon.

So a little request,

Im using this mod with science containers, and is kind of annoying to have at the end of my mission like 300 check windows when I recover the capsule or whatever it is because of the science that I've stored. Is there a way to stop the announcement windows from telling me how much science I sent and how much money i got from those? I don't know maybe put it in the transmission message area so that it only appears when you transmit and not when you recover. I love this mod btw. Thanks

Oh you are right, I didn't bother uploading a new release since the first one is already compatible with 0.90. There's no problem though, you can safely update the file yourself if you want to get rid of the warning.

It would be nifty if a variant of this became part of stock, called something like Hybrid Career mode (since we already have Science Career mode). Though it would be the sort of feature that would need to be paired with some form of resource extraction, or at least a means of making Funds outside of Science.

I tried to update the file myself, and tried moving it into the mod's folder, but the error warning still shows up.

I think it's because I also had to update the .version on github. Try again now, I *think* it should be fixed.

It would be nifty if a variant of this became part of stock, called something like Hybrid Career mode (since we already have Science Career mode). Though it would be the sort of feature that would need to be paired with some form of resource extraction, or at least a means of making Funds outside of Science.

Well, I have big, big plans about this. But it's waaaay too early for an announcement. Short teaser: a big overhaul of the game using mods (and some modded mods). Stay tuned (but no hype, it will take me months to find the time to do it).

Why not just use strategies to turn science into funding?

I tried this plugin, and soon found myself with more money than I'd ever need.

So I started another save without it, and after I'd accumulated a decent amount of reputation, used a strategy to start turning half of it into money. I found myself with quite enough of both after all.

I'm not knocking this plugin - it will surely appeal to some, I just found it excessive and redundant in light of the Strategies.

Yeah, as I said I don't like the contracts system at all. I don't use any strategy and the only contracts I can stand are the satellite deployments, so it makes sense for MY play-style.

So, i have a minor issue with this.

I got the Strategy to convert Money to science up to 25% (Tier 1 max.) and Send Jeb on a free return trajectory around the moon. I now have unlocked the last 6 nodes in Tier 1 tech tree and have around 1500 science left o_O.

Could it be that there is some resonating loop?

Recovering vessel gives science -> science by mod converted to funds -> these funds are converted to science by Strategy -> these science generates funds -> these funds generate science -> these science...

And so on.

Greetings

Ben

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.