[1.1.2] [v1.3.0] Science Funding: career mode with no contracts! (2 may 2016)

Ippo

Alright, so since this mode makes the game more challenging, and makes it so you have to save money and set up mining operations, does anyne have a good idea how to have a reuseable mining craft that you can detach the tank and JUST the tank and recover it? I'm trying to figure it out myself, you see. I want to have a mining base next to the launchpad, mining Karbonite, set up with KAS to be rooted to the ground, but I don't know how to make it so I can recover JUST the Karbonite inside instead of losing money every time I remake the craft?

So thinking carefully, I decided I am not really against the idea of contracts, but wha I AM against is the fact contracts give science. Is there any way to remove the science from contracts?

Edited by Dragonchampion

So, i have a minor issue with this.

I got the Strategy to convert Money to science up to 25% (Tier 1 max.) and Send Jeb on a free return trajectory around the moon. I now have unlocked the last 6 nodes in Tier 1 tech tree and have around 1500 science left o_O.

I'm having a related problem  whenever I have reputation-reducing strategies active, random actions drain my reputation to -100%.

• 3 weeks later...
So, i have a minor issue with this.

I got the Strategy to convert Money to science up to 25% (Tier 1 max.) and Send Jeb on a free return trajectory around the moon. I now have unlocked the last 6 nodes in Tier 1 tech tree and have around 1500 science left o_O.

Could it be that there is some resonating loop?

Recovering vessel gives science -> science by mod converted to funds -> these funds are converted to science by Strategy -> these science generates funds -> these funds generate science -> these science...

And so on.

Greetings

Ben

I don't believe there is any sort of resonating loop. The way this mod (and Squad's strategies) works would prevent them from interacting with each other. This mod only converts science gained through recovery/transmission and won't touch anything from contracts.

Squad's strategies only specify contract advances and payouts, thus ignoring the income from this mod.

I see 1 of 2 possibilities here.

a) You were on a contract to recover scientific data from around the Mun (or some sort of Munnar flyby). These contracts tend to give a decent sum of science on their own. This, coupled with the 25% cash-to-science strategy, would translate into a TON of science. In fact 100,000 fund income translates into ~7500 science, which (I don't think I have to point out) is a LOT.

B) You have another mod which is conflicting and causing you to get a ton of science.

It is widely accepted by the KSP community that the Outsourced R&D is quite overpowered, and I feel like scenario (a) is the more probable of your causes.

Alright, so since this mode makes the game more challenging, and makes it so you have to save money and set up mining operations, does anyne have a good idea how to have a reuseable mining craft that you can detach the tank and JUST the tank and recover it? I'm trying to figure it out myself, you see. I want to have a mining base next to the launchpad, mining Karbonite, set up with KAS to be rooted to the ground, but I don't know how to make it so I can recover JUST the Karbonite inside instead of losing money every time I remake the craft?

So thinking carefully, I decided I am not really against the idea of contracts, but wha I AM against is the fact contracts give science. Is there any way to remove the science from contracts?

I'm not sure if it's possible to remove them using module manager, but that would be my #1 option.

Otherwise, you'd have to go into contracts.cfg and delete all the entries for getting science.

As for your tank issue, why not use a docking port to attach/detach the tanks? You could build a small rover that contains nothing but a docking port and some Karbonite tanks. Another option (if you don't want to use the docking port) would be to use KAS's fuel pipes to transfer fuel into the rover tanks.

Here is a small mockup using just 2 rovers.

I'm having a related problem  whenever I have reputation-reducing strategies active, random actions drain my reputation to -100%.

Are you using aggressive negotiations? IF you are, this can QUICKLY drain your rep as each time you unlock/purchase a part in the Science center or launch a ship it will take a flat amount of reputation.

• 2 months later...
Will this be update to for 1.0?

Dude KSP came out just a couple of hours ago and I work 10 hours shifts in a factory, gimme a break :)

---

Ask and you shall receive: I updated it for 1.0 :)

And now off to bed, it's late here and my phone rings at 5 am.

Edited by Ippo

Thank you! I hate having to remember to launch for a contract EVERY time in order to not go broke. This was a long needed mod! And in real life, science is used to make money and completing science can help you team have a higher reputation, when you think about it anyways. Great idea and thanks for the mod!

Thanks for the love guys, I really really appreciate it :)

And many thanks for the mod. It's the only way I could play Career since I can't play more than ore before beeing totally bored and switch back to science mode. Now because of you I spend my all time on KSP, some ppl will curse you :sticktongue:

How about Career mode without science? Is that possible?

Well, it should be pretty easy actually. You load a new save, use the debug menu to give you a ludicrous amount of science and you unlock every node :)

Of course, you just unlock the nodes but don't buy the parts: this way you still need to unlock them as you progress, but you don't need science to do this anymore.

I guess it could be automated using a plugin, but I don't think I'll have time to look into this before the weekend comes.

Oh man, how I've always wanted Funding and Science together but hated the contracts. Downloading immediately! Many thanks!

Yeah, it's a nice add-on. Too bad the last two updates fried it :huh:

We gonna have to wait for a update (again :rolleyes:)

Had good fun mostly ignoring boring contracts and doing science instead (especially with new mobile lab that is a great idea I must say) but it seems that this mod has broken my career save now. Trying to recover vehicles with science data shows only crew has been recovered with 0.0 reputation, which is not properly processed that tourists are not removed from the roster, and the craft remains at the place with no way to recover. It happens in the new game too. Removing the mod seems to solve the problem, but there are a lot of error in the log fil e after removing the mod. Can you please look into it?

MissingFieldException: Field '.GameEvents.OnScienceRecieved' not found.

Contracts.ContractParameter.Unregister ()

Contracts.Contract.Unregister ()

Contracts.Contract.SetState (State newState)

Contracts.Contract.Update ()

Contracts.ContractSystem.UpdateContracts ()

Contracts.ContractSystem+

.MoveNext ()

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Contracts.ContractSystem+

. (Contracts.Contract )

System.Linq.Enumerable.Count[Contract] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 selector)

Contracts.ContractSystem.WithdrawSurplusContracts (ContractPrestige level, Int32 maxAllowed)

Contracts.ContractSystem.RefreshContracts ()

Contracts.ContractSystem.OnReputationChanged (Single newRep, TransactionReasons reason)

EventData`2[system.Single,TransactionReasons].Fire (Single data0, TransactionReasons data1)

Reputation.AddReputation (Single r, TransactionReasons reason)

ScienceFunding.ScienceFunding.ScienceReceivedHandler (Single science, .ScienceSubject sub, .ProtoVessel v, Boolean whoKnows)

EventData`4[system.Single,ScienceSubject,ProtoVessel,System.Boolean].Fire (Single data0, .ScienceSubject data1, .ProtoVessel data2, Boolean data3)

ResearchAndDevelopment.SubmitScienceData (Single dataAmount, .ScienceSubject subject, Single xmitScalar, .ProtoVessel source, Boolean reverseEngineered)

ResearchAndDevelopment.onVesselRecoveryProcessing (.ProtoVessel pv, .MissionRecoveryDialog mrDialog, Single recoveryScore)

EventData`3[ProtoVessel,MissionRecoveryDialog,System.Single].Fire (.ProtoVessel data0, .MissionRecoveryDialog data1, Single data2)

VesselRecovery.OnVesselRecovered (.ProtoVessel pv)

EventData`1[ProtoVessel].Fire (.ProtoVessel data)

VesselRetrieval.recoverVessel (.Vessel v)

VesselRetrieval.recoverVessels ()

VesselRetrieval+.MoveNext ()

Edited by nedlee

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.