Kerbal Space Progam: Beta Than Ever Preview Videos Are Here!

SQUAD

more content = longer load. No avoidance of that!

Not true. If they fixed the downright idiotic asset loader (for example, making it not load every single texture at the start), loading times would go down immensely, at the cost of some (transient) load of CPU and GPU.

They actually added new loading screen pictures?! I guess to make up for the longer loading times that this update will bring...

Fortunately the next few updates supposedly will add more improvements to performance and game play instead of more 'features' like new planets and parts as said in one of the preview videos. Can't remember which one it was.

Though if this is true, the loading times with stock 0.90 should be the same as the loading times with the fully released version of KSP when it comes out.

Edited by Ringotuna

After looking at a couple previews (and watching scott manley crash a lot trying to fly under a bridge), I'm totally stoked for this update. I'm a sandboxer, and the features of the editors are worth me buying the game *again* (but I'm broke). However with the new stuff in career (ive never played career) I almost want to try it out.

After looking at a couple previews (and watching scott manley crash a lot trying to fly under a bridge), I'm totally stoked for this update. I'm a sandboxer, and the features of the editors are worth me buying the game *again* (but I'm broke). However with the new stuff in career (ive never played career) I almost want to try it out.

I can't tell if you are serious or joking. You do know that all updates are when you have bought the game once?

All updates are free my friend. When the release is announced, simply as steam to update or download from the squad store!

GOOD NEWS.

The "experimentals" version of the game is restricted to a select group of people that applied some time ago to be part of that phase of each release. They get the experimental version in order to test it out and find bugs and/or test features and give detailed feedback to Squad about everything. Once Squad is satisfied with how everything is going, they release the version to the rest of us.

Many of the Youtubers and Twitch streamers are also part of the experimental group, but they are limited in when they can release videos of the experimentals. Squad has given them to go-ahead to release these Beta teasers because they just LOVE it when we crash their servers and forums by sitting here and refreshing everything waiting for the release.

Also... this release looks awesome! I may actually get an SSTO into orbit this time! My main goal is an STS design that actually reaches orbit rather than just getting into space and flipping out before crashing onto the far side of Kerbin.

I think it was a bad idea to scale the building facilities costs as high as they are as early as they are in the game. It makes hard mode not just hard, but plain tedious.

(EDIT: The following that I said when I first posted this isn't quite true: Example: You can't get more than 100 science points in one mission until you upgrade the science center. - it turns out you CAN accumulate that much but you just can't spend it in techs costing more than 100 - you have to use it to buy the 90 cost techs. I thought you actually were throwing the science points in excess of 100 away never to be seen again. By sheer coincidence I happened to hit a total of exactly 100.0 science in my game and I misunderstood that to be happening because of the science center cap. It was actually a pure fluke that it hit that very round number. What I say is still a problem, but less of one than I thought it was - it's still going to be the case that you'll hit the max the science center can do LONG before you can afford to upgrade it even if it's the only building you upgrade. It's just not as fatal as I thought because it looks like you can bank the unspent science points for later when you do upgrade. It's just annoying that you have to bank them a really long time.)

Upgrading it costs 1,020,000. You get to the point where you have the tech needed to make Mun missions, and are offered Mun mission contracts, LONG before you've got a million funds laying around, and that's without even making a single failed mission to lose funds on. Mun Missions easily net more than 100 science points even very early on with just minimal tech. So you've reached a point where you have pretty much no choice but to throw science points away because the point where you're getting more than 100 science points a mission comes a lot earlier than the point where you've got a million funds laying about to upgrade the science center to *really* get those 100 points.

It's mostly a good update, but the points balancing at hard mode level needs some work because the way it is now it's not hard from difficulty, which is fun, but instead is just hard from the need for tedious repetition to grind funds to buy the science upgrade, which isn't fun.

Basically, IMO, the proper balance should be that point at which you can first afford the science center upgrade, even if you buy NO other buildings other than the launchpad (which you need to get anything serious done), and the point at which you first start needing the science center upgrade should happen at roughly the same point during the progression, and right now they don't. You hit the science-per-mission limit LONG before you can pay for the science upgrade.

It's not the fact that things are expensive to progress in hard mode that I'm complaining about - they should be - it's the fact that the various forms of progression (buildings, funding, tech, missions offered) are nowhere near aligned with each other - so you hit one long before you hit the other.

Edited by Steven Mading

Basically, IMO, the proper balance should be that point at which you can first afford the science center upgrade, even if you buy NO other buildings other than the launchpad (which you need to get anything serious done), and the point at which you first start needing the science center upgrade should happen at roughly the same point during the progression, and right now they don't. You hit the science-per-mission limit LONG before you can pay for the science upgrade.

Roughly feel the same. With the launch pad I'm hitting the mass limit way before. Since the bulk of it is fuel. 18 tons with 10 count part craft. Still can get an orbit. Not much else do to. Well that could be I'm trying to get 3 Kerbals up into orbit. Would be nice if it was 20 to 25 tons as the next pad size up has a gain that seems way to large. Then again. I'm still chugging along. The runway seems about right for mass. Just the part count will hate me for me SSTO's. But, for Kerbin only. It is fine. Have no problem with the size limit as the mass limit prevents me from hitting it long before I can reach that point.

The main problem I'm facing is that the random generated contracts that are offered at first are not possable most of the time. Do to either not having the tech as I have not grind enough science points and or launch pad cannot support what is needed or the tracking station needs updating (not everyone wants to do math by hand or calculator) or all 3.

Which brings up another problem. The initial max contracts of two is a bit harm full. Since most of the time the contracts don't pay enough to be worth it in the first place unless you take 5 or 6. And chances are.. By the time you get the tech.. They are long gone or you might need to have better just to do them once again.

Sigh...

Every time I start a new version, I say to myself: "I'm not going to upgrade from this version, because I really want to get a lot done - satellite networks, fuel refineries everywhere, science bases, remote landers and rovers everywhere. It's gonna be epic! And then I'll upgrade when I get bored with the interplanetary kingdom that I have created!" I don't have a lot of time to play, so it takes me forever to make progress.

...and then Squad go and add stuff that I just... can't... RESIST! I have no choice but to update way before I even get out of the Kerbin system, and I have to start all over. Darn you Squad for your glorious updates!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.