[1.05] MovieTime v0.5 (May 7) - Olde Timey Movie and TV Effects

bernierm

So some time ago, whilst recreating an Apollo mission, I thought to myself "why can't I be viewing this on the same crappy black and white TV that everyone watched the original missions on?" Ah, the nostalgia. Anyway, now you can. Oh, and there's night vision, too.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

You can't tell from the stills, but the effects are animated. The film jitters, the scratches roll and the TV static, uh, statics. As seen in these videos:

KerbalStuff Download: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/409/MovieTime

Curse Download: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/226331-movietime

Git Repository: https://github.com/bernierm/MovieTime

Unzip the contents of the .zip file into KSP's GameData directory.

* Windows 32-bit.

* Windows 64-bit, reported window-sizing bug (looking into).

* Mac. @TheGamingNoobster says it does.

* Linux. Reported to work by @BigFatStupidHead.

* Win64 may display oversized settings window.

* Add pixelation effect for certain modes.

* A thermal camera mode that can be used in conjunction with Deadly Reentry.

* A JJ Abrams camera mode. Lens flares for everyone!

v0.5 (May 6 2015):

* Compatibility update for KSP v1.0

v0.4 (Jan 13 2015):

* Effect now available on Space Center and Tracking Station.

* Each camera can have its own set of settings.

* Added title overlay (see below).

v0.3 (Dec 20 2014):

* Fixed window placement bug.

* Improved snowy static.

* Added (optional) in-cockpit and map view effects.

* Low and medium resolution textures loaded when appropriate.

* Improved film scratch and dust effects.

* Fixed bug where light boost wasn't reset in map view.

v0.2 (Dec 14 2014):

* All settings are now saved/loaded to a "MovieTime.xml" file.

* Memory leak has been fixed.

* Improved TV imagery.

* Added v-hold roll effect to TV modes.

v0.1 (Nov 30 2014):

* Initial release

The Title Overlay System

As you see in my first two screenshots, you can now add overlay graphics in real-time. To do this, you need to first create the graphic(s) you want to overlay. I've included a few examples in the MovieTime/Textures directory (Apollo 11.png and Duna 1.png). These were done in Paint.NET. Note that you can use the alpha-channel to make cutouts as well as semi-transparent areas.

To make the overlay appear, edit your GameData/MovieTime/MovieTime.xml file in a text editor (it will appear after the first time you run KSP). Find the section that you want the overlay to appear (ie, <SpaceCentre>, <Flight>, <Map>, etc) and add an entry in the section: <TitleFile>Apollo 11.png</TitleFile> - this will be the file that you want to overlay in that section. You can do this even while KSP is running. Once you've set your scene, hit the 'Title' button on the MovieTime settings screen and it will load the overlay.

I've added a key binding, CTRL+O, that will toggle the 'Title' setting without you having to bring up the settings panel. Also, CTRL+SHIFT+O will force a re-read of the .xml file and a re-load of the overlay file. This can be used to change from one overlay to another on the fly. Yeah, the system is a bit convoluted, but I wasn't up to building a secondary 'director' app that would feed MovieTime with this information.

CC 4.0 Share Alike Non-Commercial Attribution

Amaaaazing, here, have some rep.

And, if you could upload your plugin to kerbalstuff.com instead of dropbox, It would increase visibility.

An after that, if you would "officially" allow us to package it for CKAN (just a short "yes" on the forum), we love you soooooo much more (speaks the CKAN advocate guy) :D

Possibly further down the road:

* A thermal camera mode that can be used in conjunction with Deadly Reentry.

Also, having the source code on github tends to attract people helping out...

* A JJ Abrams camera mode. Lens flares for everyone!

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! NOT THE EVIL ONE!!!!! :sticktongue:

@Noobster, do I spy the .90 skill icons in your screen shot?

And @bernierm, thanks for the kerbalstuff upload, I'll take care of the packaging first thing tomorrow (after my .90 finishes downloading, that is :) )

I am a mac user and these are the results I got.

http://imgur.com/a/gwkNC

It works great except for when IVA. I also second the idea of CKAN. But yes, to answer your question, it works on OSX.

Thanks for listening!

I like how the IVA's outside-the-window view is in Sepia. Just like it was in the olden days. It must have been brutal at stoplights.

I suppose that I'll try to fix that for those of you who want to forego true authenticity.

Edited by bernierm

Amaaaazing, here, have some rep.

And, if you could upload your plugin to kerbalstuff.com instead of dropbox, It would increase visibility.

An after that, if you would "officially" allow us to package it for CKAN (just a short "yes" on the forum), we love you soooooo much more (speaks the CKAN advocate guy) :D

Yes, I'm fine with CKAN packaging. Also, Kerbalstuff and GitHub are in the works.

I have a Mac too, and it does indeed work

but

the texture maps appear to be affected by having texture resolution cranked down to 1/8 in the graphics settings (my Mac is old and barely meets minimum spec for KSP). For the film filters this just makes the grain look blurry, but for the TV options the scan line mesh blurs into a solid gray. Some might see a similar effect using Active Texture Management, but I stopped using that before I tried MovieTime.

Thank you, I created the package file and gave it a twirl in my fresh install... By the way, from my limited testing, MovieTime seems to work with 0.90 too :cool:

http://imgur.com/a/5OOi9

Yeah, I gave it a run-through once I got .90 downloaded last night, it seemed to behave properly.

For me, .90 is the first version that really feels like a finished game. Squad's done a great job with this release.

I have a Mac too, and it does indeed work

but

the texture maps appear to be affected by having texture resolution cranked down to 1/8 in the graphics settings (my Mac is old and barely meets minimum spec for KSP). For the film filters this just makes the grain look blurry, but for the TV options the scan line mesh blurs into a solid gray. Some might see a similar effect using Active Texture Management, but I stopped using that before I tried MovieTime.

I don't think ATM will have an effect, as my MT's textures needed to be loaded on the fly.

What resolution are you using? The images are saved at the maximum available resolution, and I think that the scan lines are getting squished down to yours, giving you that lovely gray effect. It would be very easy to provide lower-resolution textures which I think would do the trick. I'll work on that in the next release.

You can't tell from the stills, but the effects are animated. The film jitters, the scratches roll and the TV static, uh, statics.

A very promising mod. I can see the fun!

However, of course I shall have a wish or two:

• The static seems static. I would expect it to look more like random noise. Hullcam VDS' nav cam static looks better in this regard. (I'd use a random function to add poisson or distributed values (centered around zero), and vary the width of that distribution as parameter. Or record a number of tiles of random noise and build the "noise image" from these tiles, chosen at random every time.)
    One might even imagine that the higher the data rate versus antennae size/range, the worse noise becomes ... so while mün might work well, you'd only get low-res TV images from Jool, at ... a ... very ... slow ... frame ... rate ... and quite noisy images. Dunno if that's in the scope of the mod. But it would be nice to be able to set several such presets.
  • Make the film scratches not always appear at the same place.
  • Make the film have grain. Try a gaussian distribution of noise, blurred. (Film grain is usually larger than "one pixel".) The darker the light, the faster a film you need and the more grainy it becomes. Also highlights tend to grain least, and midtones the most. Might need to pre-render tiles or whole images.

A very promising mod. I can see the fun!

However, of course I shall have a wish or two:

• The static seems static. I would expect it to look more like random noise. Hullcam VDS' nav cam static looks better in this regard. (I'd use a random function to add poisson or distributed values (centered around zero), and vary the width of that distribution as parameter. Or record a number of tiles of random noise and build the "noise image" from these tiles, chosen at random every time.)
    One might even imagine that the higher the data rate versus antennae size/range, the worse noise becomes ... so while mün might work well, you'd only get low-res TV images from Jool, at ... a ... very ... slow ... frame ... rate ... and quite noisy images. Dunno if that's in the scope of the mod. But it would be nice to be able to set several such presets.
  • Make the film scratches not always appear at the same place.
  • Make the film have grain. Try a gaussian distribution of noise, blurred. (Film grain is usually larger than "one pixel".) The darker the light, the faster a film you need and the more grainy it becomes. Also highlights tend to grain least, and midtones the most. Might need to pre-render tiles or whole images.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of the static effect from a transmission point of view, but rather from an 'available Movie/TV technology at the time' point of view. I'm pretty sure a gaussian blur shader can be done and would handle the resolution scaling, I had planned on it for the thermal cam. Either that or a pixelation shader would do the trick. Although I know C# quite well, graphic effect and shader programming are new to me, I struggle every time I need to edit the shader code.

I'm planning on re-visiting the not-so-noisy static. I might be able to get a better effect by shifting the texture more randomly or cycling through a series of textures (like you described).

The scratch and dust effects could use a random left/right shift element that would improve the movie effects as well.

Incidentally, everyone, most of the effects are accomplished by blending the output image with several overlay textures (for example, the scratches, dust, film vignette, static snow, CRT mesh). They're just png's in the 'Textures' sub-directory, so feel free to experiment with your own textures.

I stream KSP a lot on twitch and I'm loving this mod! It's so awesome to be able to flip on night visions so my viewers can see what's going on. I do have one suggestion/request. Would it be possible to add shortcut keys for the modes? Like a Ctrl-Alt-1-9 for each mode? It's be a lot quicker to be able to turn the settings on that way than having to flip through menus.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.