Mods we would like to see integrated into Stock?

SpaceSmith

Which Mod Would You Like To See Become Stock?  

509 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mod Would You Like To See Become Stock?

• KAS
    • RPM/MFD
    • Mech Jeb
    • FAR/NEAR
    • AutoAsparagus
    • Orbital Science
    • KAC
    • Other (State in your Post)

I just wanted to make this to see visually what mods the community wants to be integrated into stock like Spaceplanes+ and fine print?

I ask that you list your mods out with a reason for each, and please do not judge others on their choices of mods, i.e. flame them.

For me;

-RPM with MFD

This one is pretty simple for me, it adds a ton of IVA flight functionality but even if I don't use it, It makes the insides look nicer and its a lot of fun to be able to have.

-KAS

KAS to me adds a ton of EVA functionality as well as the use of whinches which is nice.

-Anatoid Robotics

Again, more functionality, especially with cargo bays coming into stock, being able to build Spaceplane arms would be fantastic

-MechJeb

Honestly, its debated very heatedly, about whether to use it or not, and honestly, I say put it in and if you do not want to use it, then don't. For some people it adds such a great functionality that its impossible to have, for others like me, there are a few key things I like to have there which is nice.

-Docking Alignment Indicators

Either Navy Fish's which is nice, or the one that comes built in with RPM and MFD or the one that is built into the Nav Ball (I forgot who made this one), this is a functionality that is extremely useful.

-KAC

Again, this provides such useful features its almost impossible that I lived without it before.

-Procedural Fairings

With an update to a more realistic approach to Aerodynamics (The current has stated to have been a placeholder), the need for fairings will become very apparent, as such Procedural Fairings fits perfectly in that roll.

-Universal Storage

Basically along the same lines as procedural fairings, it also provides features to the Kerbal Attachment System mod.

-Orbital Science

It adds more ways to Science, never a bad thing. Plus the parts are pretty cool

-Auto Asparagus

Again, another must have functionality for me, makes sorting the stages out a lot easier.

These are the ones off the top of my head. Let me know if you guys have others.

EDIT: Sorry for the lack of options, I wish I could add more than 10, the options I placed up, those are the ones I feel should be up there. The Other category is there for the case that they are not. You may select multiple options though.

Edited by SpaceSmith

I'd vote to add Navyfish's docking alignment indicator. I think that's a very simple mod that completely opened up the game for me. Mechjeb is a controversial one, and I feel they're striking a pretty decent middle ground with the new pilot system. It allows you to let the game take over a few simple tasks once you've proved that you're capable of doing such things yourself.

We get one of these threads every two weeks, but they're still worthwhile. :)

For me:

1) Kerbal Flight Data. Absolute no-brainer; it displays all of the essential flight information in an easily accessible but unobtrusive manner. The requirement to flip to the map screen just to check your apoapsis is absurd, as is the need to go IVA to view radar altitude.

screenshot82_zps30263127.jpg

2) RPM. The IVA view is brilliant with it, utterly useless without it.

3) FAR/NEAR. Along with many other people, I absolutely refuse to fly in the soupmosphere. It's just painfully unpleasant to do so.

4) RCS Build Aid. The best of the editor enhancement mods by a long way. Essential for advanced aircraft design.

5) Scansat. Much lower priority than the above, but why on Earth not? It adds nothing but fun to the gameplay.

You forgot Real Solar System, Real Fuels, and a host of other mods that make KSP actually playable.

And before someone gets all "HRRRRRGNGGNGNG PLAYSTYLE DURNT TRED ON ME", that is exactly what makes polls such as these silly.

Mods we should get:

* TAC Life Support

* KER (Kerbal Engineer Redux) - it does all the non-piloting stuff that MechJeb can do, and I suspect that the autopilot stuff will start working their way into stock soon.

If we get FAR/NEAR, we absolutely need a fairing system.

So far, I like the way KW Rocketry's fairings work the best of all I've tried thus far. I can strut stuff to the fairing shells very easily with the KW Rocketry Fairings.

Procedural fairings feels too "cheaty" if you are on hardmode, but are generally fine otherwise.

I would like to see both static/manual as well as procedural fairings added. Rather fond of KW Rocketry myself.

TAC Fuel Balancer has features I would love to see in stock; same for TAC Life Support.

At the top of the tech tree, I would like to see a bit of futuretech; assorted nuclear reactor types and at the very high end, some sort of Alcubierre or quantum vacuum drive. Quite fond of the IXS mod and Interstellar myself.

Only RPM interests me out of the list above.

for me it would have to be:

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Precisenode

Kerbal Engineer Redux

Stock bug Fixes

Tweakscale

Deadly Reentry (optional)

Stage Recovery

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Chatterer

Distant Object Enhancement

Planetshine

Enviromental Visual Enhancement

Kerbquake

Enhanced NavBall

and finally..

Infernal Robotics

Looking at a comprehensive "Stock" experience:

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Science Alert (based on difficulty settings)

Precise Node

Deadly Reentry (based on difficulty settings)

Real Chute

Kerbal Engineer Redux (low difficulty - SPA/VAB free, cheap flight; mid difficulty - SPA/VAB cheap, flight moderate expense, high difficulty - expensive everywhere)

SCANSat (field of view and/or range determined by difficulty settings)

RemoteTech (again, difficulty settings)

StageRecovery (really, any mechanic to recoup some stage value)

Life Support (difficulty to range from no LS, to Snacks!, to TACLS)

KAS

IR

RPM

Firespitter

Looking at a moddable experience:

KSP-AVC

Module Manager

CKAN

ATM/DDS Loader (at the very least, non-leaky image loaders, if they weren't fixed in 0.90)

Texture Replacer

Tech Manager

Community Resource Pack (or anything that makes resource creation/sharing easier)

KSPAPI/Docs for API

RPM

Firespitter

Although some of the mods include parts, I specifically did not include parts packs.

Looking at a comprehensive "Stock" experience:

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Science Alert (based on difficulty settings)

Precise Node

Deadly Reentry (based on difficulty settings)

Real Chute

Kerbal Engineer Redux (low difficulty - SPA/VAB free, cheap flight; mid difficulty - SPA/VAB cheap, flight moderate expense, high difficulty - expensive everywhere)

SCANSat (field of view and/or range determined by difficulty settings)

RemoteTech (again, difficulty settings)

StageRecovery (really, any mechanic to recoup some stage value)

Life Support (difficulty to range from no LS, to Snacks!, to TACLS)

KAS

IR

RPM

Firespitter

I like the idea of certain mods coming into effect with difficulty setting. Stuff like Science alert could be unlocked as you upgrade the research buildings. FAR/NEAR should be a toggle option when starting a career/sandbox that way people that like it can use it and people that like the soup can keep the game that way. As almagnus1 said, FAR/NEAR would require good stock fairings.

My list would be:

Chatterer

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Docking alignment indicator (maybe as a pilot upgrade)

Science Alert (Unlock-able in Science complex)

Kerbal Engineer Redux or MechJeb (for the information they provide. You could cut out any of the autopilot features or make the ones with Autopilot more expensive/fragile)

Tweakscale (Some people may think this is a little cheaty but it really helps with making good looking rockets that make sense)

Deadly Reentry (based on difficulty)

RemoteTech (based on difficulty)

Stage Recovery (or any way to reliably recover stages)

Distant Object Enhancement

Planetshine

Enviromental Visual Enhancement

Infernal Robotics

FAR/NEAR (Toggle at start of career/sandbox)

Station Science

RCS Build aid

Crew manifest

Interstellar (or at least parts of it as endgame content)

There may be a few others but I think this more or less covers it.

Far (with procedural fairings)(based on difficulty or debug menu), modular kolonization (with tac of cource), rss (based on difficulty or debug menu), ker, kac, kas (without the parts in it), tt seat fixer, texture replacer, dmp, tantaures (I am tired of placing 6 cubic struts and mk1x1 panels around a 1.25 tank), time control, kethane (and karbonite of course), atmospheric trajectories (based on difficulty or debug menu).

Edited by LABHOUSE

My caveat with FAR: FAR itself is probably too unforgiving for new players. I hope Squad's new aerodynamics does something like "drag is now dependent on orientation, but then magically re-distributed to retain balanced drag forces on all parts". This'd let you improve efficiency with aerodynamic rockets, without forcing new players to learn how to make aerodynamically stable rockets.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.