Mods we would like to see integrated into Stock?

SpaceSmith

Which Mod Would You Like To See Become Stock?  

509 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mod Would You Like To See Become Stock?

• KAS
    • RPM/MFD
    • Mech Jeb
    • FAR/NEAR
    • AutoAsparagus
    • Orbital Science
    • KAC
    • Other (State in your Post)

And Posting, cause I had some thoughts on not only how to toss them in but how to get them into the difficulty settings...

My biggest ones are Deadly Reentry, Ferram Aerospace, and TAC Lifesupport and Fuel Balancer...If you put it in so they are in the list of activatable/deactivatable buttons (right side of the difficulty adjustment screen that leaves them optional..) but also tying them in, so Hard uses all three, perhaps, medium uses farram and Tac, normal just uses Farram...or setting them so that you use the easy medium hard difficulty for Deadly with slightly weaker ratings on FAR for Hard, and Slightly stronger ratings on normal. Would be really cool to have the ability to just say I would like Deadly Reentry, Ferram, and Lifesupport on for this game, or off for that one. Past that, EVE with Better Atmo, Some Girbles...yeah, I have a list, it is wayyyyy to long. OH! and before I forget, not all of B9 gods forbid, but the Landing gear...we need the landing gear from B9...the heavy duty gear, and the long gear, and so on. It makes building SSTO planes soooo much nicer.

Many great suggestions. For me, KSPI or at least some of the tech, and MKS/OKS. They both just add soo much to build on and accomplish.

And definitely something with additional star systems. Of course the many mods adding functionality/information are essential.

Something like KJR to drastically lower needed parts/eliminate krakens.

• 3 months later...

In addition to KAS, FAR and RPM I'd like to add my votes for:

> Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - Adds a lot fo moving parts which can expand eva and general vessel activities.

> Procedural Fairings - Will become a necessity with FAR for larger payloads.

> Ship Manifest - Makes managing crew and resources on multi-part ships a bit easier.

> Vessel Viewer - Integrates nicely with RPM to provide additional information about your ship status while IVA.

My vote for 'other' contains EVE, DRE, KER, RWsaturatable, Persistentrotation, Kerbalmass, Kerbal Construction Time, Vessel Viewer, ship manifest, proc fairings, proc parts (maybe just fuel tanks), Infernal Robotics, and the mods that add IVA shake and sound effects.

Basically just the things that I assume would be in a finished game, I mean still no clouds in stock? What is this, 1995?

Procedural things like wings, fuel tanks, structural elements, ect.

the only way (unity 5 aside) this game is going to allow us to make capital ships the size of KSC is by making them out of massive procedural parts.

KSP ist not a hardcore simulation to me, so with adding mods that change the gameplay too much, you should be careful not to make KSP "too realistic" or comaplicated.

IMHO, KSP follows the approach that it _can_ be realisitic and complicated, but actually it mustn't and can be played with a more casual style.

One player carefully designs a vessel in the VAB and is calculating every m/s of delta v, thruster-layout, TWR or electrical requirements by hand, so he can say where and how this is gonna land before even launching it. Another player just shrugs if the 1st design iteration does not make into orbit and says "*sigh* More boosters and struts". I'm not judging, both playstyles are totally ok.

The thing is, realism can be added with mods, removing it for the casual player is much harder. Especially because it's easier to convince a progamer to install a realism-mod than it is to make a casual install an easymode-mod: "This is far to complicated.....and...what's a mod? I just wanted to shoot rockets in space"

You should be careful not to scare new players away which are totally new to this. The learning curve is steep already, because the very basics of orbital mechanics are important to understand this game. Have you guys ever tried to show KSP to a friend by building a small satellite from scratch and trying to describe what you're doing in the VAB or during launch? You can't explain _one_ single thing without raising at least 2 more follow-up questions. And this was with #lolaero and no further mods used. Now imagine this with FAR, MechJeb, KAS, LifeSupport, RemoteTech or Kethane.

TL;DR: Keep the stock game simple for newbies, Enthusiasts can install Mods

Now, regarding the Mods from the List:

KAS:

It's fun to build huge stations or ships in space, wobbling is not. I use this mod for strutting after assembly outside of the VAB. Another good thing is that it's possible to add small parts during flight. Good for upgrading stations with new parts from the tech tree. These 2 things make EVAs way more useful, adding them to stock would be nice. Not too sure about the winches and hooks, though.

RPM:

IVAs need an overhaul. After installing this, it was amazing for me what is possible in IVA with that. I spent minutes arranging the MFDs for every Kerbonaut before even launching. Defintely puts the I in IVA compared to stock. A few more panels and buttons in stock IVA would be great, the functionality of RPM might be to overwhelming at start.

Mechjeb:

The information panels: Heck yeah, that reduces micro-management/switching to map mode a lot. Think of ascend, roundevouz and trajectory changes. Can be done in map view entirely with the navball, but watching the ship burning its fuel is much more statisfying that watching changing numbers, trajectories and icons in map view.

Helpers like maneuver planning/editing or SMARTASS: Maybe as "advanced settings" or late in the tech tree

Autopiloting like ascent guidance, landing assistance, docking or maneuver execution? No. Keep that as mod. KSP is still about flying spacecraft. With that features, you can do missions without using a flightstick even once. Sure, this adds comfort in endgame, but i think beginners would rely to early on this.

FAR (with remarks to Deadly Re-Entry):

Struggling with this one, i hope new aero will be something between the new one and a realistic model: Intuitive to understand, but not with much numbercrunching, like changing flight behaviour or stalling at certain speeds. Same for Deadly Re-Entry: I think even beginners will understand that it's not a good idea to fall from to mun down to kerbin in a straight line. This is so fast, that i almost crash into the ground while checking if timewarp is really off. I'd have no problem if this will not be possible anymore in the future, but on the other hand, a player should be able to land directly after getting to a planet at escape velocity with one aerobreaking maneuver. Example: Getting back to Kerbin from Jool: Direct impact is bad, entering the atmosphere with a periapsis above the ground so aerobreaking will get the apoapsis below the atmosphere should be ok. Balancing the exact numbers is SQUADs job, i'm not a game designer

AutoAsparagus:

Asparagus is an advanced design theme, no to that. Spend 10 minutes for a subassembly if you'd like to do that.

Orbital Science:

Yes, simply because it's making no sense to set up a space station at the moment, besides refuelling or resetting experiments for science hoppers. Even a fuel depot in space is more of a nice-to-have thing, because getting huge rockets with fuel into orbit is fairly easy right now. Might change in 1.0. I can imagine experiments as contracts like "get this KAS-Container with plants to your stations lab, keep it there for one month and then get it back".

KAC

It's Kerbal Space Program, not Kerbal Space Flight. At the latest when a player flies to Minumus (if not earlier with Mun or KSO), there's so much room and time for activity in LKO or Kerbin itself. Havin multiple missions at the same time is standard and somehow encouraged. Would be great if a KAC-Like feature would be added somewhere in the middle of the tech tree.

Now to some other Mods not mentioned in the Poll:

Remote-Tech/Life-Support/kOS:

No. Just no. Too much micromanagement for getting into stock. Sometimees i think this would be nice, but on the other hand, i don't want a mission to fail because of the lack of snacks or satellite connection. NASA engineers were able to put things in mars orbit without direct control or connection because the probes were preprogrammed to do certain things in certain situations. With remote tech and kOS, this is somehow possible, but then again, not everyone knows programming that well or is an engineer at NASA. And i guess many people don't want to calculate an duna aerobreaking maneuver for a probe but just eyeball it with the possibiliy to improvise mid-flight.

TAC Fuel balancer:

Mostly no. But selecting multiple tanks as group for refueling would be nice (= Select and refill all tanks of a lander at once at a depot). But no need for realtime automatic balancing. I think ships that rely on that are bleeding edge designs. Normally, there's time to manage fuel balance manually.

Trajectories:

This helped me so much since i installed it, but it's too accurate for beeing stock (sounds strange, huh?). I could imagine a cycle or rectangular that gets smaller and therefore more accurate with lower attitude. Planning in the rotation is a pain when picking landing sites, this will help. "Ok, in 6 hours, i will land somewhere near that crater, in 4 hours i will make sure to land in the middle of it"

ScanSat:

Yes, the scanners give so much for science and exploration gameplay. Land on Duna? How about mapping it before that for picking an even landing site in the right biome and not praying for it? Expeerienced can still say "I don't believe anything that i don't see with my own kerbal eyeball, so let's just fly there!"

Part-Packs:

A few additions here and there and the stock pack is fine, it has pretty much a part for every situation. I repeat, a few addition, not changes. NOT CHANGES. Especially not regarding the kind of fuel certain parts contain.

I guess i wrote pretty much everything i have to say about making mods stock, now i just want to post this wall of text. :D

PS: Sorry for typos or spelling errors, sometimes my fingers are faster than my translating-skills

• 5 months later...

I would also like to nominate Kerbal Engineer .. or at least the craft building information, in particular. but the other in-flight windows full of important info would be very very nice to have as well. I ALWAYS put Kerbal Engineer Redux and Precise Node in every install of KSP that I have.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to see the only Mod I use 100%, Chatterer, become stock. I absolutely love the ambient noises, voices, beeps, etc...... they really seem to add a level of realism to the game, and I don't think it would be as hard to make stock as many of the other mods on the list..

I don't see a "none, I'm fine using mods" option? I'd like to see Squad's modellers fix up the existing models so they match & are more interesting, and their code efforts devoted to fixing what we have already. If there's an existing mod you like, what does it matter where it comes from?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.