KSP 0.90 'Beta Than Ever' Grand Discussion Thread!

KasperVld

A minor observation: the fully upgraded SPH/VAB have a flag on the wall. The first and second tier don't have one. I think that should be a constant in all tiers. I think your chosen "space program flag" should always be on display. Perhaps in the first tier, its draped over some crates in the corner... then in the second upgrade, someone hangs it on a wall, but didn't do a very neat job of it.

Rejecting missions you don't want and cherry picking the right ones is really crucial in the beta. I've just done my first mun landing and I've already got a polar satellite at duna as a mission but I have yet to get a satellite at kerbin mission. The missions range all the way from testing lots of stuff landed at kerbin to... well, interplanetary stuff.

Also I need to get in the mindset of career again. Just forgot to pick up the "flag on mun" mission once I landed. That's 80k down the drain again. Can't even update the mission control building without getting into trouble with funds. And I'm still on tier 1 VAB.

Actually once I think about it, a satellite at duna might not be so difficult. It just takes a long time and an update to the tracking station.

Edited by Frank327

The VAB progression really needs about 5 levels (even if there is no visual difference between the first few levels). Action groups should still come at tier 2 and tier 3, but the number of parts needs to be smoothed out to [ 30, 60, 120, 240, unlimited ] or something.

have to agree with this, the jump from level 1 VAB to level 2 is huge in terms of part count, a few more levels to smooth this out would feel more..........no idea, natural? organic? something like one of those words :-)

love the update though BETA WOOOOOOO!

I was surprised to see that the parts mods (Kerbal Rocketry and some mod that gives you more stock like parts) as well as Kerbal Engineer where still working in 0.90. I was not surprised to see that Kethane mod as well as Ferram no longer worked. I do like the way the parts are sorted now, makes things easier. I also noticed that stuff seems to overhead much faster then usual, at least in 0.25 I cant recall getting so many overheat warnings. Still have to test all the other stuff and start a career.

Also, I had hoped for more tutorial/Training missions so newcomers can get a feel for the game. I still do not know how I get into orbit for example or in what direction I need to burn if I setup a maneuver node. That I managed to create a egg shape orbit earlier today was more due to me messing around with the rocket once I was in space and having enough fuel left to burn. It was an egg shaped orbit but hey, it was an orbit.

Also, I had hoped for more tutorial/Training missions so newcomers can get a feel for the game. I still do not know how I get into orbit for example or in what direction I need to burn if I setup a maneuver node. That I managed to create a egg shape orbit earlier today was more due to me messing around with the rocket once I was in space and having enough fuel left to burn. It was an egg shaped orbit but hey, it was an orbit.

Technically almost every orbit is egg shaped. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Once you've got the rocket for it, orbit goes like:

1. Go straight up until 10km, and don't go way too fast (like 300m/s) or way too slow (like 100m/s at 10km).

2. Go east at a 45 degree tilt, full throttle.

3. Start keeping a look at your map view (m key), and stop going up once your apoapsis (ap) is at 80km.

4. Wait until you're almost at apoapsis and then burn prograde (yellow circle) until you've got orbit.

As for the rocket: command pod + parachute -> decoupler -> FLT400 tank + LV909 engine -> decoupler -> 3xFLT400 tanks + LVT30 engine -> decoupler -> RT-10.

Also if you've made a manouver node, somewhere on your navball there will be a dark blue icon. That's the direction you have to burn.

Edited by Frank327

I was surprised to see that the parts mods (Kerbal Rocketry and some mod that gives you more stock like parts) as well as Kerbal Engineer where still working in 0.90. I was not surprised to see that Kethane mod as well as Ferram no longer worked. I do like the way the parts are sorted now, makes things easier. I also noticed that stuff seems to overhead much faster then usual, at least in 0.25 I cant recall getting so many overheat warnings. Still have to test all the other stuff and start a career.

YouTube videos are the best way to learn KSP imho.

have 2 problems in new version (0.90) -

1) no interior view in Mk3 cockpit (black screen - all i can see is interface) anyone also has this problem?

2)SAS is not working - when i press T it cant enable SAS - says something like " sas module not installed or no pilot|"

1) no interior view in Mk3 cockpit (black screen - all i can see is interface) anyone also has this problem?

2)SAS is not working - when i press T it cant enable SAS - says something like " sas module not installed or no pilot|"

1) The interior view wasn't included, it will be in a future update.

2) You now need either a Pilot (Kerbal with Pilot skill trait) or an advanced probe. The base probes do not have SAS features.

1. The Mk3 cockpit IVA didn't make it into this update, I'd imagine it will arrive in some future update.

2. You need a probe core or a kerbal with piloting skill to activate SAS.

Edit: Ninja'd

Bug?

If you quick save on a parachutes-deployed-already landing attempt, and then load the quick save, the parachute(s) will not reload and the parachute part will look already deployed (right clicking gives you the option to "cut" the now-non-existent chute) resulting in a ship falling to its doom (or a really lucky suicide burn!)

Happens on kerbin, all stock no mods, .90

1. The Mk3 cockpit IVA didn't make it into this update, I'd imagine it will arrive in some future update.

2. You need a probe core or a kerbal with piloting skill to activate SAS.

Edit: Ninja'd

Also remember that in .90, only the higher end probe cores can actually control the SAS system whatsoever!

I have to say, whatever download server problems they had for previous updates arent there anymore.

I just happened to be looking at my Steam library when KSP picked up a download bar. Gave me 12.3 mb/s downloading it, twice... the 33 mods i had installed broke the initial download, had to reinstall.

Bug?

If you quick save on a parachutes-deployed-already landing attempt, and then load the quick save, the parachute(s) will not reload and the parachute part will look already deployed (right clicking gives you the option to "cut" the now-non-existent chute) resulting in a ship falling to its doom (or a really lucky suicide burn!)

Happens on kerbin, all stock no mods, .90

I think this bug been in game for a while now. Or maybe it got fixed and re-emerged, I haven't saved with parachutes deployed in a long time cause of this bug

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.