KSP 0.90 'Beta Than Ever' Grand Discussion Thread!

KasperVld

Here´s a bug: The game didn´t load correcty so the Loading bar started to Flash. It kept flashing I restartet my PC and its still there! It burned into the screen! How can I stop that? I actually have a pretty new Laptop so this schould not happen :huh:

Okay,got rid of it ^^

if you have the same problem:

Edited by G-rom

I might be wrong! But as far as I know, reputation affects the levels of contracts that come to your Space Agency. The higher your reputation is, the higher are the tiers/profits from a contract. And making money/science without them makes the game fairly harder than it can already be. :)

You're not wrong :)

KSP has always been multithreaded, technically. It's just that there's only one physics thread and that's 95% of the overall workload.

I've not seen if the game is any better/worse performing than before.

I've been playing KSP for many, many years now on some pretty powerful multi-core computers. Always, and I mean always no matter what, KSP would have 1 single core/thread at 100% and the rest at 1% - 10%. It's never been multi-threaded. Sorry to burst your bubble but it hasn't. At least now it throws up 4-8 cores at 60% and uses multiple cores well. The biggest improvement I can find is the builder area/machine can now sustain 50-60 FPS trying to build and work on 800-880 part ships now (used to be 5-10 FPS) and cpu usage flies up a lot during this. However, sadly.. we get out to go flying and it still runs single-digit FPS with complex ships. So multi-threaded or not, sadly.. we still can not fly big complex ships without a huge performance penalty. It's still pretty sad that KSP severely limits us. I know "omg that's a huge ship" But.. what if we want to fly huge complex ships? Why penalize us for that? I've always hated this about KSP.

I have a 4.8 ghz 6-core hyper-threaded intel system and a pair of some of the fastest DirectX-9 video cards ever made (GTX-470, +46% core overclock), and should be able to fly even 2000+ part ships if I wanted to, but the game prevents us from doing so. I know I've read the forums and I'm not alone in this either, other people try flying 500-600 part ships and find that KSP can't do it.

And my other computer, a dual-processor workstation with two intel 6-cores in it @ 3.6 ghz and an Nvidia Quadro K5000 card (animation rendering and 3D rendering platform). The editor runs nicer on that machine than my big gaming i7 actually (seems it excels at more physical cores.. and ignores virtual ones)

That aside.. I never learned docking or got in to space stations because I know I'd be upset.. if I got in to building stations and bringing more and more and more stuff up to add to it (think of the ISS.. they've been adding more to it every year almost), at some point it would get so complex I wouldn't even be able to select and work on the station. So.. I don't even bother.

At least there's more biomes and something to do with the "simple" ships now. I do some day wish SQUAD would fix these glaring performance problems that have been plauging the game for years one of these updates though. :( It's a lot better, the editor is -VASTLY- improved both in performance and everything else now. We can edit and work on big ships finally without slowing down.

Just we need flight performance upgraded too next, maybe v1.00 will address that after they finish fixing everything else.

Edited by kithylin

As someone who doesn't use Mechjeb, I find the ability of pilots to hold prograde/manouver points one of the best features added to date. Also I love the new gizmos, more career progress is always good and part overahuls..... in short 0.90 is Better than ever!!

Gotta love the new buildings!

http://i.imgur.com/iKUp13Il.jpg

Didn't somebody in the QA team see that? Or just didn't care?

I mean, seriously:

See-through backface on the roof underside.

http://puu.sh/cI4H2/e70bc56fb0.jpg

Small textures stretched over a massive object.

http://puu.sh/cI4HA/30eb873f7d.jpg

Weird cartoonish plank texture stretched across the terrain with no model.

http://puu.sh/cI4JW/31ae1556c0.jpg

This stuff.

http://puu.sh/cI4NW/967d9f4ac9.jpg

No ambient occlusion, anywhere.

http://puu.sh/cI525/9d05686301.jpg

After bac9's amazing work, it honestly feels like a step back into the art style of version 0.18 :( .

I really hope these are heavy works in progress...

On the other hand, I do really like the "patchwork" rough roads, it's just the stuff that is filling them.

http://puu.sh/cI4Mg/73d68d1aee.jpg

Yeah, I kinda saw this coming after the admin centre. The current centre was modeled by bac9, who did a great job and understands atlas standardization and is a great modeller. When the admin centre dropped a number of modellers noticed it didn't seem to be made with the same standardization, and bac9 actually responded before the patch with change recommendations, but they were ignored. So some of us didn't have hope that the new models would be up to the same standard.

I wish Squad would contract bac9 more, he raised the bar high enough that the new models being produced (SP+ notwithstanding, that's not Squad) are amateur in comparison.

edit: We can look forward to similar recommendations being ignored this time around,

On a less facetious note, I have no problem with the idea of starting in a barn and having trailers, but the texture and model work is, to put it mildly, sloppy. I would elaborate, but i'd just make the thread sound like an echo chamber so I'll just link the excellent critiques posted on Reddit and imgur.

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2lpao5/my_thoughts_on_the_kerbal_space_program/

http://i.imgur.com/onpH9fp.jpg

I think they are going to need to implement more for engineers to do. As it is now, I have zero use for them. I've not had to "repair" anything since I did it for fun shortly after they made wheels repairable. There has got to be a balance between including part failures and not having to scrap a mission due to a random part failure.

Nobody knows? :(
If you tried KSP 64-bit version, it may have visually upgraded your buildings, but the game still treats them like they are not upgraded. A few posts back, Flying Wolf quoted from the FAQ. But you should be able to downgrade buildings in the save file, and continue playing regular 32-bit version.

If you have KSP via Steam, look here for your save file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves\[name you gave to career mode game]\persistent.sfs

1. Before doing anything, make a backup copy of persistent.sfs into a new file, like persistent.sfs.BAK

2. Open persistent.sfs in notepad.

3. Search for the section "name = ScenarioUpgradeableFacilities", and set all to "lvl = 0"

If you tried KSP 64-bit version, it may have visually upgraded your buildings, but the game still treats them like they are not upgraded. A few posts back, Flying Wolf quoted from the FAQ. But you should be able to downgrade buildings in the save file, and continue playing regular 32-bit version.

If you have KSP via Steam, look here for your save file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves\[name you gave to career mode game]\persistent.sfs

1. Before doing anything, make a backup copy of persistent.sfs into a new file, like persistent.sfs.BAK

2. Open persistent.sfs in notepad.

3. Search for the section "name = ScenarioUpgradeableFacilities", and set all to "lvl = 0"

Ah, thanks! This is what I was looking for. I'm not using 64bit, I just want to downgrade the facilities.

EDIT: Didn't work... there is no ScenarioUpgradeableFacilities in the savefile :(

Edited by Nikola7007

Yea there should be random failures like the Dang it mod, and there should be a reliability system. I am thinking, more part count can result in overall less reliability. So when you start up you can fly rockets without an engineer but later on you can't just do a super jool-5 mission without one.

I've got a bug to report (or if it's intentional, a complaint :D) I apologize if this has been mentioned already (I did a search but it's a long thread!):

I was testing 0.90 by flying a 1-man capsule to Minmas, and randomly when I would switch between map and flight modes I would get a message on screen "There are no pilots, SAS disabled". I hadn't been EVA'ing and I was in fact in the middle of performing maneuvers. It seems to be losing the SAS when I switch to map mode.

A second but similar bug: I flew a 3 man capsule to Duna and found myself out of fuel. I intentionally left Jeb inside in order to keep the craft pointed in the right direction and EVA'd Bill. Again I got the same error: No pilots, SAS disabled. The craft began to spin when I pushed it, making SAS completely useless. I really hope these are bugs that just need to be fixed, because if I actually have to be controlling the craft for SAS to work I'm gonna be really bummed.

Well, the elitists should be happy. KSP is now hard and grindy. Scraping money from contracts so I can upgrade buildings so that I can build workable rockets and my Kerbals can start collecting science. Good times. :rolleyes: Time to do something I've not had to do in career KSP on normal difficulty: cheat.

The initial set of building upgrades is either way too expensive, or the contract payouts are way too lean. Therefore I'm grinding for money. The lack of ways to gather science (no samples and no EVA) means I'm also grinding for science.

KSP career on normal difficulty should not be an exercise in grinding hundreds of thousands of dollars in order to start doing interesting things.

Well, the elitists should be happy. KSP is now hard and grindy. Scraping money from contracts so I can upgrade buildings so that I can build workable rockets and my Kerbals can start collecting science. Good times. :rolleyes: Time to do something I've not had to do in career KSP on normal difficulty: cheat.

The initial set of building upgrades is either way too expensive, or the contract payouts are way too lean. Therefore I'm grinding for money. The lack of ways to gather science (no samples and no EVA) means I'm also grinding for science.

KSP career on normal difficulty should not be an exercise in grinding hundreds of thousands of dollars in order to start doing interesting things.

I like the way career mode is now, I hated it before, now I actually want to play it... It isn't grindy unless you're bad at making a 30 part rocket which can go to the Mun. And if you need to cheat, why not instead of cheating just play career mode on Easy, or just add more starting funds...

I like the way career mode is now, I hated it before, now I actually want to play it... It isn't grindy unless you're bad at making a 30 part rocket which can go to the Mun. And if you need to cheat, why not instead of cheating just play career mode on Easy, or just add more starting funds...
I can understand how many people have difficulty doing that. Hell, many people have difficulty getting to the mun without asparagus staging, let alone doing it with a dressed down rocket and no patched conics. But yeah, making a 30-part mun rocket is exactly the step you need to still do career relatively quickly.

This update has made the game a lot more difficult. Which means the tutorials should probably be looked at again, because games where you need to learn everything from youtube vids aren't often fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.