KSP 0.90 'Beta Than Ever' Grand Discussion Thread!

KasperVld

With this update. Need to change the research around. Need to be able to unlock plane engines sooner if not 1st.

Also some tweaking on the contracts.

I am running out of cash before being able to get into orbit. The "test this part." The cash rewards are barely able to support the building of the vehicle.

Once I found the fly here was a good source of cash. Although I don't have any plane engines. So I had to use unlimited fuel.

Had plenty of science though.

In addition. Wheels need to be unlocked sooner.

Totally agree with this

The Jet engine is too far down the tech tree, all my contracts are orbital ones or flyovers and I can't get to orbit because of the launchpad weight limit and I can't do the flyovers because the plane parts needed are still missing.

I am starting to think that the black IVAs were a mistake. I know why Squad did it - so that the Kerbal portraits show up, but it ends up looking like a game bug. Several people have asked "why am I getting this" and I don't think that's a good thing.

A placeholder IVA would have alleviated this problem. Maybe a fairly basic space with a note pinned up on the wall, "Sorry! We're still finishing the inside of the cockpit!"

I really love this Update,because it really adds use to other Command Pods,Because only a Pilot can use the SAS so,to Skill the other Classes you need to have more than one Crew-member or a really stable craft which wont really get that far...

Finally there is some meaningful progression in career. I played for several hours straight and I have only been able to land on the Mun. Which is kind of a good thing because had it not been restrictions such as building upgrades I would've already beaten the game and unlocked everything two times over.

Don't know what the Engineers do, cuz parts don't really break in any way other than exploding except wheels.... But for scientists and pilots now at least there is an incentive to not just abandon them after a failed mission. I just don't really understand how Jeb is stuck in lv.1. I mena yea he haven't been to other planets yet but doesn't the 10 times he's been to LKO count towards experience?

Only problem I see here is that reputation is useless. Who needs reputation? You just convert it all into money and science. Unless of course you play hard mode and can't revert failed launches, which sounds like a good challenge after I beat this first run.

Great job. Shame to those other so called "Early Access" games that just use the term as an excuse for ....ty project management (*cough* Starbound).

kHkzsRP.jpg

3svAVLb.jpg

Edited by chengong

I am liking what i see so far with this update for the most part. I just had a very interesting first orbital mission in career mode where i only had like 50 units of fuel left after making orbit. It made for a very slow reentry that took two orbits do to only being able to get the periapsis to around 63 km. In sandbox I have been experimenting with the MK3 parts to little avail. I hope the next update includes larger wing pieces and bigger landing gear because it takes a lot to get the mass of mark 3 parts up and down safely.

EDIT: I know this really is a complaint that could have been made in the last update, but I do wish that the contracts were'nt so restrictive often times it seems there are too many variables on early contracts. It can be very difficult to meet very narrow altitude and speed requirements simultaneously for instance. In simple terms the contracts should scale better with the tech level and skill of the player.

Edited by wolfedg

Can we get some love for the new root part selection (shortcut 4 in editor)? I had to previously use a mod to re-define a root part for proper building of modular bases and rockets. Little details like this make me happy!

Now I just need a table of the stages' delta-vs and I can play vanilla!

While I am enjoying the update, the most rudimentary functionality for space flight is buried far too deep (cost-wise) in the facility upgrades. As it currently stands right now, the player is looking at a cost of 400,000+ funds just to unlock the Maneuver Node functionality so they are forced to grind out dozens of worthless contracts before they can even attempt to reach the Mun with any degree of certainty. I have been playing for several years and I am not sure if I will be able to overcome this hurdle without completely re-thinking my initial spending -- new players will probably be highly turned off by this lack of functionality.

While I am enjoying the update, the most rudimentary functionality for space flight is buried far too deep (cost-wise) in the facility upgrades. As it currently stands right now, the player is looking at a cost of 400,000+ funds just to unlock the Maneuver Node functionality so they are forced to grind out dozens of worthless contracts before they can even attempt to reach the Mun with any degree of certainty. I have been playing for several years and I am not sure if I will be able to overcome this hurdle without completely re-thinking my initial spending -- new players will probably be highly turned off by this lack of functionality.

As a workaround, you can get to the Mun using the old-school, pre-maneuver node method: Get into an eastward low kerbin orbit, burn prograde when the Mun rises.

Edit: It's quite possible to deliver satellites to Munar/Minmus height orbits with just the 18 parts, once you open up a few things. In particular you need Fuel Systems, Okto, and Electrics. Fuel Systems for the 48-7S, Okto for the SAS for sanity, and Electrics for a pair of OX-Stats. Slap that with an antenna on top of a FL-T100 Fuel Tank and you've got ~2500 dV to play with.

I wasn't even on the moar booster approach, but If I was going to make a landing/return from the moon I want to catch as much science as I can in 1 trip and that just doesn't seem possible when I'm limited to 18 tons/30 parts.

I've no problem building a mun Sat or even a lander, just not while having to boost 3 mat lab and goo into orbit.

As a workaround, you can get to the Mun using the old-school, pre-maneuver node method: Get into an eastward low kerbin orbit, burn prograde when the Mun rises.

Yeah, I can do it, but I would venture to guess that 98% of people will not.

New version again ? Crap a man is out for three weeks bcs of work and now I have to wait again for a few days till my favourite mods are updated for new version. Again to start a new career :( And again to plan everything from the beginning.

So I hope this new version will be out for at least 6 months please. I want to finish the career path finally. :)

Thanks for the work you are doing guys.

I agree, the rep needs some changes- surely that should be there to measure your program's success.

The progression is looking good. Now they just need to flesh out some other aspects of career so there's gameplay to engage with after everything has been unlocked.

-snip-

Only problem I see here is that reputation is useless. Who needs reputation? You just convert it all into money and science. Unless of course you play hard mode and can't revert failed launches, which sounds like a good challenge after I beat this first run.

-snip-

I might be wrong! But as far as I know, reputation affects the levels of contracts that come to your Space Agency. The higher your reputation is, the higher are the tiers/profits from a contract. And making money/science without them makes the game fairly harder than it can already be. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.