Does my KSP will update automatically on steam if i had addons?

I believe that (by default) it will auto-update, unless you've changed the options via the properties. I'm not sure what it will do for mods (if that's what you mean by addons) so I've changed mine to update on launch so that, when I become aware that the update has been released, I can remove all mods before launching the next time.

But maybe I'm being overly cautious here.

If you copy of ksp is from steam and not just relocated to the steam folder, it SHOULD auto update (if auto update is switched on of course). Your mods of course require manual update. What makes me able to answer? My copy was obtained via Steam :)

If you copy of ksp is from steam and not just relocated to the steam folder, it SHOULD auto update (if auto update is switched on of course). Your mods of course require manual update. What makes me able to answer? My copy was obtained via Steam :)

I can not wait to see the new update, but I guess I will have when I play as a student at the university and recently got a job. I would love to see the new new functions, but i think i will not entrust my rocket during launch phase or reentry to Jebediah :D

Steam does automaticly update, even if you have addons. (I can confirm this, because I woke up, got on steam and saw KSP has updates. So I updated it, and it still had some of my addons. It automatically removes addons that won't be compatible (Usually some addons are good with all versions, such as HyperEdit)

But yes, it will update automatically update whether you have addons or not.

Steam does automaticly update, even if you have addons. (I can confirm this, because I woke up, got on steam and saw KSP has updates. So I updated it, and it still had some of my addons. It automatically removes addons that won't be compatible (Usually some addons are good with all versions, such as HyperEdit)

But yes, it will update automatically update whether you have addons or not.

Careful here, I'm pretty sure this is wrong. Addons are extra files added by the user, Steam won't touch them when it auto-updates. All add-ons that were present before the update will be present afterwards.

Which means simply running KSP will probably have issues as Steam does not update your mods, only KSP itself.

D.

Careful here, I'm pretty sure this is wrong. Addons are extra files added by the user, Steam won't touch them when it auto-updates. All add-ons that were present before the update will be present afterwards.

Which means simply running KSP will probably have issues as Steam does not update your mods, only KSP itself.

D.

Strange. KAS and some mod that resizes parts were automatically removed (or at least don't show up in the game) but HyperEdit and Some mod that gives huge thrusters (I can't remember mod names :P) remained.

I haven't had a lot of time to look around, but I will when I get home.

D.

This is absolutely right.

Mods do not change or replace game files - so Steam would think that it's a clean game, and will update it.

And this is why you should disable auto-updates for KSP.

Couple of very important things:

- You DO NOT need Steam to run KSP - it does not have any DRM, so you can just go into SteamLibrary folder, find KSP and copy it to any place you like, you may even make several copies - they won't conflict with each other. This is the safest way to play the modded game - because you won't be affected by a sudden update, and you can keep several installs with different mod builds (stock\RSS\etc...). Keep your "original" version in SteamLibrary clean of mods - that will give you a nice backup in case if something goes wrong with your main install(s).

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2016 at 5:09 PM, Rolacume said:

If you you transfer ksp to steam, do your old versions still stay around, or do they get deleted.

They stick around, but Steam will download and install a new copy of KSP. 

Yes, I realize this is a necro thread, but he had a legitimate question that I didn't see any harm in answering. 

Edited by FullMetalMachinist

10 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

They stick around, but Steam will download and install a new copy of KSP. 

Yes, I realize this is a necro thread, but he had a legitimate question that I didn't see any harm in answering. 

Thanks, im going to swich, just hope it doesnt go wrong.

• 8 months later...
On 12/16/2014 at 4:37 PM, biohazard15 said:

This is absolutely right.

Mods do not change or replace game files - so Steam would think that it's a clean game, and will update it.

And this is why you should disable auto-updates for KSP.

Couple of very important things:

- You DO NOT need Steam to run KSP - it does not have any DRM, so you can just go into SteamLibrary folder, find KSP and copy it to any place you like, you may even make several copies - they won't conflict with each other. This is the safest way to play the modded game - because you won't be affected by a sudden update, and you can keep several installs with different mod builds (stock\RSS\etc...). Keep your "original" version in SteamLibrary clean of mods - that will give you a nice backup in case if something goes wrong with your main install(s).

I have KSP on steam. I do run KSP form a steam KPS copy with my mods. Like you described. Could you give any advice on how you then proceed updating the steam copy, since only the vanilla KPS get the auto update via steam directly. What would be the best solution? I went for: do a backup of the copy I play with. Then deleting the steam version, copy the copy into the steam Version and then update it via steam ksp > local files > verify integrity of local files to update my copy. How do you guys do it. If there is a better way please do tell. Thanks in advance.

On 9.12.2016 at 8:10 PM, 20100 said:

I went for: do a backup of the copy I play with. Then deleting the steam version, copy the copy into the steam Version and then update it via steam ksp > local files > verify integrity of local files to update my copy. How do you guys do it. If there is a better way please do tell. Thanks in advance.

You let steam update the game, make a new copy of the updated game and then copy your saves and mods into the new copy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.