Help with first mod

tHarvey303

I'm quite new to modding, but managed to create a simple fuel tank and thought I would have a go at an engine. I managed to model it

MV4n7VD.png

and texture it

3wKVgtK.png

in blender properly (I hope). I didn't try and get emissive textures working but I did try and get a fairing working. In Unity it also looks ok(to me), although the fairing is probably wrong and the parenting in the scene is also probably wrong. 0S5s8Dv.png

MTUc45P.png

However, In game it looks like this.

EF5ULf0.png

If someone would be so kind as to take a quick look to try and figure out what I have done long I would be grateful.

Here is a download link for a zip file which contains the:

.blend file

The unity project

The "finished" file from my GameData folder

The texture

Sorry If I forgot any thing vital, If I did I will upload it as soon as possible. Thanks for reading this.

Hello

A couple of things: Clean out some of the models and put a fresh copy into Unity. Make sure the transforms are set correctly, as I noticed the shroud is way off to the side. It makes things loads easier if you get that stuff sorted before you get into Unity.

Add an empty object, centred to 0,0,0 and add the mesh and transforms as children of that - call it Root, or something similar. Apply PartTools to it. Make sure the fairing is set in position correctly and set its tag to Icon_Hidden, as shown here (which you may have already done. Create a new material in Unity, give it a name, set it to KSP/Diffuse, add your texture into the slot and drag it onto the various bits of mesh that need it. Double check your thrust and smoke point transforms. Set up your colliders, configure PartTools and write it out, check the Unity console to see if there are any errors, then fire up KSP and check output_log. You're looking for an entry that says something similar to: "PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbalFoundries/AlphaRepulsor/part/AlphaRepulsor'" (that's just a log entry for one of my parts).

Check it out in the VAB and see what happens, and let us know :)

When I export the engine from Blender, the engine and the fairing are two separate parts. When I get it into Unity they are joined together.8T2gh07.png

How do I split them? Do I need to? Also in the Hierarchy tab, the engine has got a child called default, which contains the texture and mesh renderer whereas the engine on only has an animator. Should I delete one of them?

fMJS2SX.png

Lv0HsWY.png

Ah. Did you export to fbx/dae/obj from blnder this time, or did you just bung the .blend into Unity? That definitely needs fixing first up, as they need to be different objects. The exports you posted all had them as separate objects, so something has gone wrong somewhere.

I did export obj again. I did this the first time too but that time I used a blender addon which allows you to only export selected so the engine and fairing were exported separately. It seemed to work but it isn't the way you're meant to do it.

Edited by tHarvey303

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.