[DEV HALTED][0.90] Blast Awesomeness Modifier (BAM) [v1.1.1, 2015-01-01]

marce

Dev halted like stated here

Celebrating Beta than ever I made this little mod which adjusts the explosion power (and effect) of each part based on its resources.

My test showed that in stock every part explodes with a blast awesomeness of 0.5 which I considered not kaboom enough. So with this mod a part with not a lot of explosive stuff will only create a few dust clouds and debris when destroyed. A small fuel tank will explode a little, a big one will explode a lot.

Disclaimer: no new effects, we got nice new ones from SQUAD only recently!

I selected some mostly random values for min, max, base (lower than stock) and the modifiers for some resources. Our realism team is welcome to send me reasonable values and everyone is invited to add more resources. However, the algorithm is a very dumb one (aka additions), so don’t expect any fancy quadratic or whatever progression :wink:

To keep performance impact as low as possible the recalculation based on the amounts is not performed every frame, but should be close enough not to be recognized.

This is not meant very seriously so just enjoy if you want :wink:

It is possible to define a fixed value for a part by adding a ModuleCustomBAM and setting a fixedValue.

MODULE
{
name = ModuleCustomBAM
fixedValue = 4.22
}

If you change dbg in the config file to true each part shows its current explosion potential and has an Explode action for instant kaboom.

resdef = LqdOxygen,0.001;Kerosene,0.001;LqdHydrogen,0.0025;NTO,0.001;UDMH,0.001;Aerozine50,0.001;MMH,0.001;HTP,0.001;AvGas,0.001;IRFNA-III,0.001;NitrousOxide,0.0015;Aniline,0.001;Ethanol75,0.001;LqdAmmonia,0.001;LqdMethane,0.001;ClF3,0.001;ClF5,0.001;Diborane,0.001;Pentaborane,0.001;Ethane,0.001;Ethylene,0.002;OF2,0.002;LqdFluorine,0.003;N2F4,0.002;Methanol,0.001;Furfuryl,0.001;UH25,0.001;Tonka250,0.001;Tonka500,0.001;FLOX30,0.001;FLOX70,0.001;FLOX88,0.001;IWFNA,0.001;IRFNA-IV,0.001;AK20,0.001;AK27,0.001;MON1,0.001;MON3,0.001;MON10,0.001;MON15,0.001;MON20,0.001;Hydyne,0.001;Syntin,0.001;LeadBallast,-0.001

Please be aware, that my shared util dll (CIT Util) is required, but not bundled (package also used for CKAN). You can get it on my mod page as well.

Mod Download, License and Source

Edited by marce

Cool idea and cool mod! I always thought it was kind of silly the way a light bulb explodes the same as a fuel tank! Thanks for making this, I will try it out.
Awesome! Never knew I needed this until now.

Thanks guys!

I like what I'm seeing. Will download for sure when I install 0.90.

Thanks, have fun!

I love how there's an in-game value called "Blast Awesomeness".

Funny fact: that's stock :cool:

But yeah, I found it so cool as well that I named the mod after it :wink:

Oh, yes! I've always thought it was weird how small the explosions are. If you watch Youtube videos of real rocket failures (Proton in 2013, Antares a couple months ago for example)- they're gigantic fireballs of doom, not the kinda wimpy poofs we have now. Definitely installing this.

Version 1.1 released

• Adds a Module to set custom (fixed) values for a part (see OP for details)
  • Adds a debug option (default off) to show the bam value and explode a part

You have to update the config file or it will break!

EDIT: @Mitchz95: I think it only affects the appearance + there seems to be an upper limit of how big the explosion effect can be - sorry.

Main purpose is to stop water tanks from exploding like fuel tanks.

Edited by marce

I'd love to get this, but I'd like to know how it works with other mods first, specifically ones that add parts. At this point, I have more mod parts than stock ones, so...

And if you can manually explode a part as is shown in the preview video, I'm never using decouplers again. :D

Wow! I have been trying to make something like this for awhile (even had nearly the same name), didn't get very far though, glad to see someone else do this. :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98612-So-that-s-what-they-call-it

On that note, the other day, I had a bug which made these fireball trails http://imgur.com/a/4eST5#0

I've been trying to replicate the bug (no luck), and furthermore figure out a way to create something similar with a mod. Could be something worth looking into.. ;)

I'd love to get this, but I'd like to know how it works with other mods first, specifically ones that add parts. At this point, I have more mod parts than stock ones, so...

And if you can manually explode a part as is shown in the preview video, I'm never using decouplers again.

Should work with every parts mod.

You have to turn on debug to explode, but that's cheating, right?

Wow! I have been trying to make something like this for awhile (even had nearly the same name), didn't get very far though, glad to see someone else do this. :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98612-So-that-s-what-they-call-it

On that note, the other day, I had a bug which made these fireball trails http://imgur.com/a/4eST5#0

I've been trying to replicate the bug (no luck), and furthermore figure out a way to create something similar with a mod. Could be something worth looking into.. ;)

Haven't seen your thread, but good to know I saved you some work :)

I won't add anything else in the foreseeable future though - especially no effects stuff :wink:

If you removed the smoke and replaced it with just a uniform glow-looking particle or something, you could make long ionization trails behind reentering spacecraft- something I've always wanted to see in KSP. If you've ever seen videos of the Shuttle reentering, it leaves a huge streak of ionized air across the entire sky.

• 3 weeks later...
Nope, I'm pretty content with it as it is :) (though, how would I create a cfg for a resource and how would I go about deciding on numbers?)

Good! :)

In the BAM.cfg file there is one entry resdef which defines all resources BAm understands. Resourcename followed by value per unit it is.

To add resources, just extend this entry. How to decide? I have no idea, I entered values I consider somehow correct - that's part of my question: everyone happy or do we have someone who can work out correct values? :wink:

I'm having difficulty getting this to work. Explosions still function as stock and I can't see the explode button in the debug menu.

I'm running a large number of other mods so it might be that. List here:

TAC Life Support		v0.10.1
Editor Extensions v2.5
HullCameraVDS v0.33
KSAEA Tree v0.43
Procedural Wings v0.9.3
Procedural Fairings v3.11
Universal Storage v1.0.0
TAC pack
KAS pack
KAS v0.4.10
Construction Time v1.1.2
Chatterer v0.8.0
Alarm Clock v3.1.0.0
KSOS ground vehicles v4.09
Texture Replacer v2.1.2
EVE low res v7.4
RealChute v1.2.6.3
EVA chutes v1.2
Adjustable Landing Gear v1.0.4
RLA Stockalike v12.1
FASA v5.10
B9 v5.2.7
Firespitter
NEAR v1.2.1
RemoteTech v1.5.1
Science Alert v1.8.4
Dmagic Science v0.9.1
Engineer v0.6.2.12
Raster Prop Monitor v0.18.3
Collision FX v2
Deadly re-enty v6.4.0
Oblivion heat shields v0.1.3
Multi-tasking kerbals v1.06
Automatic Texture Management v 4.3
Advanced Jet Engines v2.0.2
AeroKerbin IVAs
BAM v1.1.1
Trajectories v1.1.2
ColorCodedCans v0.6
Action Groups Extended v1.29d

I'm having difficulty getting this to work. Explosions still function as stock and I can't see the explode button in the debug menu.

I'm running a large number of other mods so it might be that. List here:

TAC Life Support        v0.10.1
Editor Extensions v2.5
HullCameraVDS v0.33
KSAEA Tree v0.43
Procedural Wings v0.9.3
Procedural Fairings v3.11
Universal Storage v1.0.0
TAC pack
KAS pack
KAS v0.4.10
Construction Time v1.1.2
Chatterer v0.8.0
Alarm Clock v3.1.0.0
KSOS ground vehicles v4.09
Texture Replacer v2.1.2
EVE low res v7.4
RealChute v1.2.6.3
EVA chutes v1.2
Adjustable Landing Gear v1.0.4
RLA Stockalike v12.1
FASA v5.10
B9 v5.2.7
Firespitter
NEAR v1.2.1
RemoteTech v1.5.1
Science Alert v1.8.4
Dmagic Science v0.9.1
Engineer v0.6.2.12
Raster Prop Monitor v0.18.3
Collision FX v2
Deadly re-enty v6.4.0
Oblivion heat shields v0.1.3
Multi-tasking kerbals v1.06
Automatic Texture Management v 4.3
Advanced Jet Engines v2.0.2
AeroKerbin IVAs
BAM v1.1.1
Trajectories v1.1.2
ColorCodedCans v0.6
Action Groups Extended v1.29d

I don't see my util lib on this list, are you sure you have a current version of it installed?

Bah, you people are betting everything on CKAN. Eventually something bad will happen and you'll wish you held on to the skills required to successfully mod by hand. Mark my words!

Then again, I've been horribly wrong before....

Moving on...

I thought to myself today "Hey, wait a minute... that custom fixed value thing could be used to make the TAC self destruct system even more awesome! Not only will the parts explode according to their individual explosiveness, augmented by their fuel explosiveness with BAM, but the self destruct device itself could be given an augmentation!

So yeah, just did that. Now you just wait... it'll be another year or so before I remember to actually test that out. I'm so pathetic sometimes.

Edited by Gaalidas

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.