[DEV HALTED][0.90] Blast Awesomeness Modifier (BAM) [v1.1.1, 2015-01-01]

marce

Bah, you people are betting everything on CKAN. Eventually something bad will happen and you'll wish you held on to the skills required to successfully mod by hand. Mark my words!

Then again, I've been horribly wrong before....

Moving on...

I thought to myself today "Hey, wait a minute... that custom fixed value thing could be used to make the TAC self destruct system even more awesome! Not only will the parts explode according to their individual explosiveness, augmented by their fuel explosiveness with BAM, but the self destruct device itself could be given an augmentation!

So yeah, just did that. Now you just wait... it'll be another year or so before I remember to actually test that out. I'm so pathetic sometimes.

Ummm, what's wrong with CKAN? IMHO, having a standardized way to install mods and other stuff has so many plusses vs doing it by hand, I think it is stupid to NOT use it. Just my opinion, based on 40 years of experience

Is this going to be in CKAN soon? Looks great, but I'm trying to only install via CKAN. Makes it easier to redo an installation.

Thanks

If they haven't removed it, it should be on CKAN since about 3 weeks?

Ummm, what's wrong with CKAN? IMHO, having a standardized way to install mods and other stuff has so many plusses vs doing it by hand, I think it is stupid to NOT use it. Just my opinion, based on 40 years of experience

The down side is that some mods are not being installed correctly and it is limiting what the mod developer can and cannot do because of that issue. For the user who wishes to simply click a button and forget about it, I'm sure it's a wonderful little utility. If, however, you want to make sure everything is installed correctly, without worrying about what a utility is doing that might screw it up, then you would want to steer clear of it.

I agree, however, that standardizing many of the ways that mods are packaged and distributed would be a plus, I am just not convinced that CKAN is the answer to it. I used a mod manager 6 months ago for all of my KSP mod installations until it started uninstalling mods that share the same root folder because it thought that root folder was a conflict between the two mods. It really screwed me over with that one. Then, I had trouble with it trying to automatically install all the textures all over again just because I was using a different texture format for memory optimization. This also caused its auto-version-check to flag the mod as out-of-date because there were differences between the install and the package cache that it had created.

In the end, it became a lot simpler to do most of it by hand, with a little help from some very useful batch files that I wrote to handle repetitive tasks. It's still a pain in my rear to track down all the updates and such, but at least I know all my mods are being installed correctly, and updated correctly (using WinMerge to be sure). if I'm stupid for wanting things to be done right from the start, without having to second guess what a utility is doing, then so be it.

The down side is that some mods are not being installed correctly and it is limiting what the mod developer can and cannot do because of that issue. For the user who wishes to simply click a button and forget about it, I'm sure it's a wonderful little utility. If, however, you want to make sure everything is installed correctly, without worrying about what a utility is doing that might screw it up, then you would want to steer clear of it.

I agree, however, that standardizing many of the ways that mods are packaged and distributed would be a plus, I am just not convinced that CKAN is the answer to it. I used a mod manager 6 months ago for all of my KSP mod installations until it started uninstalling mods that share the same root folder because it thought that root folder was a conflict between the two mods. It really screwed me over with that one. Then, I had trouble with it trying to automatically install all the textures all over again just because I was using a different texture format for memory optimization. This also caused its auto-version-check to flag the mod as out-of-date because there were differences between the install and the package cache that it had created.

In the end, it became a lot simpler to do most of it by hand, with a little help from some very useful batch files that I wrote to handle repetitive tasks. It's still a pain in my rear to track down all the updates and such, but at least I know all my mods are being installed correctly, and updated correctly (using WinMerge to be sure). if I'm stupid for wanting things to be done right from the start, without having to second guess what a utility is doing, then so be it.

OK, so I admit that I'm not aware of any mods which aren't being installed properly. On the other hand, I wonder if it is the mod developer not configuring it properly.

CKAN is based on the cpan system, which is widely used in Linux. They also are very careful to NOT touch any files which it didn't install.

I have 66 mods installed via CKAN, and have another half dozen or so which I installed by hand. The CKAN ones are much easier to install and update.

I also use both Mac (OSX) and Windows, CKAN works on both as well as Linux.

I don't want to get into a flame war or anything else like that. I understand where you are coming from, and hope that CKAN can fix the problems that you mentioned

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Friendly reminder: While it's alright to discuss how BAM and CKAN may interact in particular here, discussion of the finer points of whether or not CKAN is a good idea generally should probably be kept to a topic of its own, to minimize potential confusion for other users :wink:

This mod is the bomb! It makes explosions make sense. Just a request: the ability to assign the "Explode" action to an action group.

Hm, I consider it more a debug-cheaty option than a real gameplay element, but if you open an issue for it I may add it in the next iteration.

You mention CKAN in the OP... Is this available on CKAN? I'm not seeing it there.

Or did you mean that the util.dll is part of CKAN?

I'm really liking this, it bugs me how everything explodes the same.

It should be available? At least the netkan file for it is in the netkan repo.

I'm installing my own mods without CKAN for obvious reasons (I'm always one version ahead), so I can't confirm if it works.

It should be available?

It is actually not a technical problem, but one of marketing, I found out. You have hidden your mod on CKAN quite, well ;)

It has neither "blast", nor "awesome" nor "modifier" in its name. You won't find it under the letter B, and only because of your repeated assertions that it should be there, I found it, the third time I was looking for it by sorting by author and looking for "marce". Judging by the number of people that have asked that question already, I'm not the only one having problems finding the mod on CKAN.

For those, that are still searching: It is called "CIT - BAM". I would recommend renaming it to "Blast Awesomeness Modifier (BAM)".

It is actually not a technical problem, but one of marketing, I found out. You have hidden your mod on CKAN quite, well ;)

It has neither "blast", nor "awesome" nor "modifier" in its name. You won't find it under the letter B, and only because of your repeated assertions that it should be there, I found it, the third time I was looking for it by sorting by author and looking for "marce". Judging by the number of people that have asked that question already, I'm not the only one having problems finding the mod on CKAN.

For those, that are still searching: It is called "CIT - BAM". I would recommend renaming it to "Blast Awesomeness Modifier (BAM)".

Aaah.

Agreed, will look into this on the weekend.

SolidFuel is not in the config file, so SRBs are never explode. Bug or intended?

Monopropellant tank has a very low modifier, I know N2H4 are hard to explode, but it dosen‘t look much like the kerbal way!

Stacked batteries are VERY explosive (3 of Z-4Ks‘ explosion looks more awesome than a big NASA fuel tank), that doesn't make much sense.

Is it possible to set separately base & max value for each resource type? That may solve the problem.

Example:

Liquid fuel tank: 0.4+0.001x, max 10

Batteries: 0.2+0.0001x, max 2

Monopropellant: 0.2+0.0005x, max 5

Edited by SaturnV

SolidFuel is not in the config file, so SRBs are never explode. Bug or intended?

Monopropellant tank has a very low modifier, I know N2H4 are hard to explode, but it dosen‘t look much like the kerbal way!

Stacked batteries are VERY explosive (3 of Z-4Ks‘ explosion looks more awesome than a big NASA fuel tank), that doesn't make much sense.

Is it possible to set separately base & max value for each resource type? That may solve the problem.

Example:

Liquid fuel tank: 0.4+0.001x, max 10

Batteries: 0.2+0.0001x, max 2

Monopropellant: 0.2+0.0005x, max 5

As I wrote in the OP I chose mostly random values and am happy about feedback :)

Separate min(max values are possible, but not in the short term. I'd suggest you post an updated config with at least better increment/decrement values here for everyone to use for the moment.

i have a question since u do so many other mods, how are u at the gui? cos i was wondering how hard it would be to have a second throttle bar next to the stock one tat showed current output thrust out of the total possible for that stage, so it would show jet engin spool up and such, so u know when your jets are actually at max and all

i have a question since u do so many other mods, how are u at the gui? cos i was wondering how hard it would be to have a second throttle bar next to the stock one tat showed current output thrust out of the total possible for that stage, so it would show jet engin spool up and such, so u know when your jets are actually at max and all

If I understand you correctly that's nothing I have planned. You could ask in Add-on requests.

As I wrote in the OP I chose mostly random values and am happy about feedback :)

Separate min(max values are possible, but not in the short term. I'd suggest you post an updated config with at least better increment/decrement values here for everyone to use for the moment.

Using the default settings currently, will try to find better modifiers if I ve spare time

• 2 months later...

Hello, I'd like to ask if I could fold BAM into my mod Kerbsplosions, seeing as you've stopped development. A response either here, or on #kspmodders, which I am frequently active on, would work fine.

If you respond via irc, please make sure I'm around first, or I won't get the message otherwise.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.