[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

In my RP-0 game I have no issues with the tech tree, parts or anything like that. Everything is where it should be for me. Mind telling your install and start up process is?

When you start a fresh game you are selecting the Community Tech Tree right? Like there should be a menu that pops up and ask what tech tree you want, and you just select the community tech tree one. Also don't forget the Community Tech Tree is an add-on for Tech Manager, so you need that as well or CTT will not work. It isn't a stand-alone mod.

The part mods I use that RP-0 has already sorted balance wise are the 3 procedural mods (Fairings, Parts & Wings), SXT, Ven's, DMagic & SCANSat, Universal Storage, and FASA. That is just off the top of my head, but I can't think of any others I use. For the sounding rocket I use the procedural tanks. Procedural Tanks are used for most things. There are also some texture packs running around you can find for more textures for those tanks that are very nice.

Yeah but look at NK's picture of his first sounding rocket: http://imgur.com/a/mLBeY#1

It shows command cores that I don't seem to have. Plus I am wondering what you are doing to get the science from the probe core? All the parachutes I have are about 5 times bigger than the .3mm sounding rocket parts, and the only antenna I have, the standard Communitron 16 is also very large and frankly ugly looking sticking out the sides. Again not in Nathan's picture so he obviously used some other method.

The only thing in your list not in mine is FASA.

- - - Updated - - -

My procedural SRB seems to max out at 0.2m which is annoying since the sounding rocket core is 0.3m. If there is one thing I hate its ugly rockets and so far thats all I am getting :(

Yeah but look at NK's picture of his first sounding rocket. It shows command cores that I don't seem to have. Plus I am wondering what you are doing to get the science from the probe core? All the parachutes I have are about 5 times bigger than the .3mm sounding rocket parts, and the only antenna I have, the standard Communitron 16 is also very large and frankly ugly looking sticking out the sides. Again not in Nathan's picture so he obviously used some other method.(

It seems you might be missing/not using TweakScale. Very important mod, particularly for the small sizes common in RP-0. Probe science is pretty simple, right click on the probe for a probe report, otherwise science comes from science experiments.

Probe science is pretty simple, right click on the probe for a probe report, otherwise science comes from science experiments.

Yes I know how to use it. My point was you either need to transmit it, using a rather large an ungainly antenna that looks ugly sticking out the sides of the sounding rocket, or you have to land and recover it, using chutes that are twice the size of the probe core.

In any case I managed to build a rocket with the science package and antenna inside a fairing so it doesn't look ugly. Still wondering why my procedural SRB is maxing out at 0.2m though.

Are you under Windows? If so, just type cmd in your start menu to bring up the console. If you don't know how to navigate through it you can simply copy ckan.exe in the directory it displays then type "ckan.exe install RP-0" without quotes.

erro_ckan.jpg

Got this, any ideas?

Ok so the Procedural SRB is 100% bugged for me. I don't know if I have a bad install or its a bug in RP-0. I will try to track it down tomorrow.

But a fresh game with nothing unlocked. If I try to add a procedural SRB it comes in at a default radius of 1m. But as soon as I try to adjust that radius it suddenly SNAPS to a radius of 0.2m and then that is its new maximum size. It won't go any larger. But when that happens it still has the thrust of a 1m SRB! If I then adjust the burn time, the thrust SNAPS to the proper thrust for a 0.2m booster.

And once it has snapped into the proper values, it doesn't have enough thrust to lift a fly off the ground, let alone give my sounding rocket any help.

That's a bug, some issue with detecting the procedural SRB upgrade in the "start" tech tree node. what worked for me was to place the SRB, save the craft, exit the editor, reload the craft, right click on the SRB and finally click on the "Tech level: 0" button that should've appeared. It's only necessary to do so until you research the next upgrade (basic rocketry), then it works as intended.

When you start a fresh game you are selecting the Community Tech Tree right? Like there should be a menu that pops up and ask what tech tree you want, and you just select the community tech tree one. Also don't forget the Community Tech Tree is an add-on for Tech Manager, so you need that as well or CTT will not work. It isn't a stand-alone mod.

I know, I've been using RP0 fine since the pre-release. I tend to install all my major mods first, e.g. RP0, KCT, RSS, make an openGL shortcut and then test they work and then install other non-major mods like RVE and Fusebox afterwards. Im using the tech tree taken from a 0.25 install but apparently that's fine, and since I've tried a second install I really cant see how this issue is confined to me.

Agathorn - if you install the FASA mod then there's the Explorer Probe(I think that's it) and that is 0.2m wide with an integrated antenna and this is how you'd be able to get your reports back without parachutes. As for the fairings in NK's photos - I've no idea as I don't get them unlocked until the 3rd of 4th tier. I'm guessing these pics were taken from an earlier version of RP-0

On a side note - this install I have now has taken me countless number of times to get installed properly. I've had some big issues which I couldn't figure out so would start again and then would have new issues arise. Probably taken me somewhere in the region of 3 weeks(on and off) to get to where I am now. I have no idea if my tech tree is right or not but after it's taken me so long I really don't care anymore :mad:. Main thing is that all my parts seem to be working properly now :D

Edited by ClLaw

Agathorn - if you install the FASA mod then there's the Explorer Probe(I think that's it) and that is 0.2m wide with an integrated antenna and this is how you'd be able to get your reports back without parachutes. As for the fairings in NK's photos - I've no idea as I don't get them unlocked until the 3rd of 4th tier. I'm guessing these pics were taken from an earlier version of RP-0

On a side note - this install I have now has taken me countless number of times to get installed properly. I've had some big issues which I couldn't figure out so would start again and then would have new issues arise. Probably taken me somewhere in the region of 3 weeks(on and off) to get to where I am now. I have no idea if my tech tree is right or not but after it's taken me so long I really don't care anymore :mad:. Main thing is that all my parts seem to be working properly now :D

Gah not a fan of FASA parts but ok.

Yes I know how to use it. My point was you either need to transmit it, using a rather large an ungainly antenna that looks ugly sticking out the sides of the sounding rocket, or you have to land and recover it, using chutes that are twice the size of the probe core.

In any case I managed to build a rocket with the science package and antenna inside a fairing so it doesn't look ugly. Still wondering why my procedural SRB is maxing out at 0.2m though.

its not just the procedural srbs. the procedural thrust plate does the same. I believe it limits the size base on the tech progression. the problem I run into is that the things don't line up. Take the procedural battery for example. if you make the shape a smooth cone the bottom starts at 1m diameter yet its not possible to make it bigger or it shrinks to .6 and its not possible to make it .9 or it jumps straight to .5 and gets stuck there.

its not just the procedural srbs. the procedural thrust plate does the same. I believe it limits the size base on the tech progression. the problem I run into is that the things don't line up. Take the procedural battery for example. if you make the shape a smooth cone the bottom starts at 1m diameter yet its not possible to make it bigger or it shrinks to .6 and its not possible to make it .9 or it jumps straight to .5 and gets stuck there.

It does limit based on tech progression, and it should. But I don't think it should be limited to the wrong sizes to match up with other things :)

- - - Updated - - -

Me neither but it's the only way I could get things started. Good luck bud

Since FASA is not a required mod for RO nor is it listed in the required list for RP-0, I would argue that it shouldn't be um required :)

I have to question the included KCT configs. I don't think it should take nearly 30 years, 10,000 days, to unlock the very first technode after start!

EDIT: Others in chat saying it doesn't take that long for them so not sure whats up. This is the first time I ever used KCT so maybe I did something wrong.

Edited by Agathorn

Loving RP-0! I've been experimenting with it and having the occasional failures. But I am hoping to get some cool stuff done in this career mode. Being a fan of NathanKell's Alternate History work, I decided to follow suit (Though I am nowhere near as good as you are Nathan :sticktongue: ).

Quick intro: My world is one where the Mongolian Empire somehow has maintained its power and controlled a vast territory throughout Asia and into the West. Reaching from as far east as Korea, as far west as modern day Iran, North as far as the northern edge of modern day Kazakhstan, and finally as far south as the border of India, with some occasional battling in South East Asia. Anyways the exact history is not important as long as you understand that in this world, Asia is a very, very different place. The Mongols have the greatest minds from China, Persia, and even some of the sharp ones from Russia. I will probably ask Nathan for some opinions on the more detailed history (though it's already pretty farfetched).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Please lemme know what you think and if I should continue, even if you hate it, I am already working on the next two launches :D

Have you thought about creating a Mission Report thread to document your progress? (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/forums/55-Mission-Reports)

Hmm, I am not much of a learned Forum user. Mostly on the IRC channels. But that seems like a cool idea. Let me flesh out this universe more with flags and competitors and see where it goes. I may just toss this whole narrative after a while. But maybe not! :)

I have to question the included KCT configs. I don't think it should take nearly 30 years, 10,000 days, to unlock the very first technode after start!

EDIT: Others in chat saying it doesn't take that long for them so not sure whats up. This is the first time I ever used KCT so maybe I did something wrong.

I've verified my KCT settings are the ones that came with RP-0. So I don't know what is up here. I'm going to start a brand new game and see if it does the same again.

Make sure that you have 24 hour days set in the KSP Main Menu settings. If you have 6 hour days it will take you much longer. :D

Make sure that you have 24 hour days set in the KSP Main Menu settings. If you have 6 hour days it will take you much longer. :D

I.. didn't even know there was a way to change that. That is probably it let me look.

I just realized that my Techtree might not be the rcompletely right (or there is a bug).

As already stated, the SRBs seem to be completely bugged on start. With the commented bug (add SRB, quit editor, go back) I was able to build my first Sounding Rocket with an SRB 0.5m thick and 4 meters long. Looking back I guess that shouldn't have been possible?

I also have all Procedural Wings from start and all sized of the procedural fairing bases. This seems weird especially since I found out that the science node "Flight Control" unlocks 1.25m Fairing Bases.

When I right-click the AJE Williams FJ44 turbofan (by SXT) the vessel weight switches to NaN and I can't launch. I then have to remove and re-add the part.

I can do science while landed but I don't get any science points from it. Also when I enter R&Ds Science Archives those science reports are out of the layout and I can't escape the Science Archives any more (can't click anywhere but the reports)

I also have some questions regarding contracts:

Is there a limitations to which crafts can achieve "Sounding Rockets" contracts (e.g. Sounding Rockets Avionic kit needed, only Sounding Rockets Engines)?

On start I was also offered a 5000m height record contract which can not fulfilled with sounding rockets (but it doesn't say so).

It would be great if there was some more information and documentation on the Tech Tree and the contracts!