[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

Grab what other contracts? For at least the first few years you pretty much only have one contract you can do, the progressively higher sounding rocket one.

I would like to see those contracts give some science so that the early game isn't so grindy.

Also, I would like to see the "plant a flag on ...." contracts buffed a bit.

Edit: Also, what does Lack's SXT mod do for this? Do I need anything from Lack's SXT mod besides the engines?

Edited by Rabada

I see the sounding rocket one in addition to the launch a new vessel, acheive orbit, set alt record of 500 (doesnt work on probes) and the Human orbital one. I think it would be nice to implement some remote tech and maybe scansat contracts in career as well but i am not sure what the on the best way to do that.

Well Altitude Record of 500 won't work without a pod, and Human Orbital is supposed to be hidden, even if it wasn't you wouldn't be able to complete it early on. That leaves Sounding Rocket Altitude, Achieve Orbit, and Launch a New Vessel. Which is 3 contracts. You can have 2. Here is a little tip though if you want to maximize money which it sounds like you do. Do NOT go straight to orbit! Take only the Sounding Rocket Altitude and Launch a New Vessel.

Complete the Sounding Rocket Altitude by just barely. If it says 10km, try not to go too far above 10km.

The reason for this is that it will keep giving you progressively higher altitudes for more money. You can get like 4 or 5 of them done before even getting to space.

If you do like you say and take all the contracts in one fell swoop, you are actually losing money.

For my first mission in my.25 careers I usually used a sub orbital aerobee like sounding rocket with a barometer and themometer carried internally to escape the atmosphere and complete 3 contracts There are 3-4 different biomes you can hit on the way up and transmit data from each experiment in each one. Doing similar in .90 I was able to end the mission with around 50 science. Not bad for such a cheap rocket (with no heatshield, it cant survive re-entry). I take that and unlock the orbital rocketry tears and launch a sputnik like probe to orbit for my second which gave me enough to unlock the capsule/heatshield. For my third mission I orbited a human. For the next missions I used the heatshield to enable mystery goo stuff to survive re-entry. I am going to see if this is possible in .90 as I have only done my first mission.

I upgraded the mission control now because I am going to need to do it anyway to unlock manuevering nodes again which i am going to need if I am going to try combining inclination change with circulation burns for a planned geostationary constellation. tring to think ahead here, when are you guys having to upgrade your VAB? 30 parts seems like a bit low with all the crap you dont use taking up space.

I ran into this weird issue. I biult a rocket and launched and while I was still on the launchpad I reverted because I forgot to stick on a thermometer once I did so I tried to launch again and it said I was too heavv,, so I removed the thermometer and tired again and now I cant launch at all. the total vessel mass readout in mechjeb says just over 20 tons. ZWVe1Kp.png I ended up just making another craft to reach orbit anyway but it would have been nice if the first one worked.Im on my third mission now and evven though I havve enough science to unlock the capsule/heatshield I am going to hold-off because there are a ton of new contracts I can do with what I have already.

Edited by Bender222

Yeah but my point is that by goign straight out of the atmo you are throwing away contracts. I mean its up to you, i'm just saying. It sounded like you were trying to optimize funds, so throwing away contracts (and thus funds) seems odd.

Now if your goal is instead just to move as fast as possible, then that's fair too.

My original intention was to move as quickly as possible science wise to unlock the parts I needed to create my geostationary relay constellation. But that was in .25 before I had to worry much about upgrading biuldings. I may need to rethink things.

My original intention was to move as quickly as possible science wise to unlock the parts I needed to create my geostationary relay constellation. But that was in .25 before I had to worry much about upgrading biuldings. I may need to rethink things.

Yeah i'm always strapped for cash hence why I try to get every single contract I can :)

Hey!

Sorry for the stupid question and sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I'm having problems with my early sounding rockets, especially before getting SAS cores.

I would expect my rockets to fly straight up for a long time but instead they tend to steer off a bit after some seconds so I have to correct all the time which isn't very efficient in the long run.

I'm only using Stock Part Revamp, SXT and Procedural Parts. No FASA or other parts.

I try to make them not too short and add control surfaces to the bottom…

And: What was the name of the mod again that allowed to safe drawings of rockets from the VAB as in image 9 of IronDoges imgur album on the OP?

Edited by mecki

Are you using fins? A properly built rocket shouldn't have too much trouble, I mean its nose will of course dip over time, but you should have no problem getting atmo, and upper atmo, even just into space all on start technology. The rocket won't be *controllable* which is fine, but it should fly true, and you can pre-tilt it on the pad to go a certain direction.

Besides fins, make sure you also have a very solid initial boost. Is that initial boost that really keeps a rocket true. As an example the Tiny Tim booster on the WAC Corporal has something like 20 or 30 to 1 TWR and burned for only 0.7 seconds. The final core sustainer only has like 1.2 or something pathetically small, but the initial momentum is the key.

hey all! I wanted to give a try to this mod but i have the problem that after starting the game in career mode i have no contracts. The list of contracts where at the beginning there are some "launch a vehicle" or "reach 5000m" is empty...

used CKAN to install realism overhaul and lack's stock extention. Since ctt was not on ckan but the people in their thread claimed that it works fine even with the old version for .25, i installed that manually.

then i installed manually rp-0.

Do i have to do something else?

- - - Updated - - -

solved, did an error unpacking the mod, sorry for the mess guys :-)

The vanguard X-405 engine has two thrust chamber bar in VAB. But only one is real. Mechjeb2 and KER cant get the right data because of this.

I'm playing with realism overhaul and almost all of it's recommend and suggested mods. Shouldn't I do that?

Also, the engine with TEATEB seems not work correctly. When I tried to ignitor, the TEATEB got used and the engine shut down right after that.

Can anyone recommend a realistic ISRU and construction mod to use with this?

Extraplanetary Launchpads is about the only proper extraplanetary construction mod that I'm aware of, so I guess I'm just wondering if the Kethane ("Normal") version is more realistic than the Karbonite version or vice versa.

Or is KSP Interstellar more realistic in terms of these things? (the only problems I can foresee with Interstellar are a. completely unbalanced tech progression and b. no real way of extraplanetary construction)

Also if this is not the correct thread to post this in please let me know.

Can anyone recommend a realistic ISRU and construction mod to use with this?

Extraplanetary Launchpads is about the only proper extraplanetary construction mod that I'm aware of, so I guess I'm just wondering if the Kethane ("Normal") version is more realistic than the Karbonite version or vice versa.

Or is KSP Interstellar more realistic in terms of these things? (the only problems I can foresee with Interstellar are a. completely unbalanced tech progression and b. no real way of extraplanetary construction)

Also if this is not the correct thread to post this in please let me know.

Check out MKS/OKS in conjunction with EPL. It isn't exactly 'realistic', but it is definitely 'more' than EPL by itself.

AFAIK, if you use MKS/OKS, you can actually remove all Parts for EPL except the survey stakes.

I'm loving this mod, but have run into a bit of a snag - I can't seem to unlock the second-gen capsule research node - it says unresearched requirements, even though I've researched all nodes around it. Don't know if its a bug or if I'm doing something wrong - any advice?

I'm also having the problem that I don't have the expected contracts. My only contract on start is the manned orbit one. No others are there or appear…

Are you on linux? For some weird reason texture replacer does this and is often installed and not used with RO.

robinxb: known issue, fixed in current-released RO. Update! :)

See the engine ignitor thread (where you crossposted) for my response to the ignitor question.

JonSpace_CEO: as of now, the tech tree does not go much past 1962, and doesn't have many other mods supported. So there is no supported option yet. We'd love help changing that though!

mecki: yep, it's not on the list of supported mods so it isn't supported yet. However, it should be very easy to make supported, just adding the partnames to the tree.yaml file. Wanna send us a PR?

m_robber: That's odd. Anyone else seeing that?

Fixed yeah !

But I found another issue with Mission Controller 2.

I get a contract which asks me to use Orbital Research over kerbal low orbit rail.

The contract' also requires me to launch a vehicle with part named Orbital Research. But RO renamed it with prefix "non RO".

So I can't finish this contract.

I can only temperately fix this by removing the prefix in RO's global-config cfg.