[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

I'm loving this mod, but have run into a bit of a snag - I can't seem to unlock the second-gen capsule research node - it says unresearched requirements, even though I've researched all nodes around it. Don't know if its a bug or if I'm doing something wrong - any advice?
Have you upgraded the R&D Center? The Tier 1 center you can only unlock things that cost less than 100 science. Tier two can unlock things that cost less than 500. I think the second tier capsules cost 150 IIRC.

Have you upgraded the R&D Center? The Tier 1 center you can only unlock things that cost less than 100 science. Tier two can unlock things that cost less than 500. I think the second tier capsules cost 150 IIRC.

Thanks for the help -that was the problem! The text just stated that there were unresearched requirements, rather than the 100 science limit, which led to my confusion.

mecki: yep, it's not on the list of supported mods so it isn't supported yet. However, it should be very easy to make supported, just adding the partnames to the tree.yaml file. Wanna send us a PR?

Today I learnt to do so and I did. Blackhearts Procedural Fairings textures and his Procedural Fairings KW bases are in my pull request! (by `bax-`)

___ UPDATE ___

Is it correct that ll of MechJebs functions are available on all probe cores from the beginning?

Edited by mecki

I'm running into a small issue and I can't seem to figure it out. I am trying to design rockets for the early satellite contracts and I don't seem to have adequate engines for the upper stage. The best choice at the moment would be the aj10 but its thrust is way to high for any logical probe I can make. It says a probe with a battery and an antenna (I actually use 4 like sputnik)but when I add a service module tank and fill it with 4700 ish delta-v worth of fuel I end up with an upper stage twr of over 2. The only other engines that I have are the alternate configurations of the wac-corporal but they cannot gimbal and therefore cannot be controlled beyond the atmosphere which is especially important since I have to hit specific orbital parameters.

Bobcat soviet engines aren't integrated into the tech tree, If I were to get on irc or something and learn what to do, would that be something that would be wanted/integrated into rp-0?

mecki: awesome, thanks!

As for mechjeb, I guess so? We don't restrict it yet. I've always seen Mechjeb's abilities as more like "hey, you people over in the Plotting section, draw up a transfer orbit!"

Bender222: All early US satellites were launched with final solid kickstages; that would be the Baby Sergeants or the X-248. You use the RCS on the AJ10 (or Juno nosecone) to spin up the final stage at apogee (and point it at the horizon), and then you stage away the second stage and ignite the solid(s). Here is an album showing a Vanguard launch (due to unavailability of Vanguard's original kick stage I used two of the three Baby Sergeant stages for equivalent delta V).

I have another question about the early sounding rockets.

You guys were totally right regarding my off-steering rockets: I just needed more thrust at start!

However I found out that it's not really rewarding to use parachutes with those early models: RealChutes are way too big. Even at 4x speed my rockets take minutes to reach the floor because the chutes deploy really high and speed are really low.

If I resize them using Tweakscale, the size of the chute itself doesn't change (of course?). So I think it would be great to have another really small size for them to begin with. I don't know if that would be integrated in RP-0 or Realism Overhaul or even RealChute itself but if being pushed in the right direction I'd be willing to try that myself (if it's just a tiny MM patch with a multiplier or so).

Could it even be made so that the sizes of the chutes only get unlocked with tech nodes?

Thanks!

--- UPDATE ---

I'm now in the process of adding smaller sizes to the RealChutes in RP-0.

Am I overseeing something with the current Tweakscale solution? Is it even needed to add smaller RealChutes?

Just wanted to check before I'm doing the work…

Edited by mecki

I'm just starting out with Realism Overhaul and RP-0. Is it correct that there is no manned capsule at the begining of the game?

yes it is!

you should only have the 0.3m Sounding Rockets core at the beginning!

yes it is!

you should only have the 0.3m Sounding Rockets core at the beginning!

Ok, so next question, are we not supposed to be able to get science from the launchpad or other areas around KSC any longer? Assuming that's true, is it a glitch that's allowing the science panel to appear? I found the hard way that if you try to take science readings on the launch pad, it'll seem like it takes the reading (though the reading panel looks wrong) but you'll get no science from the process after you recover your ship, and the science panel in the R&D center will effectively crash the game from that point on. At least, I can't get out of the science panel once I've gone into it without killing the game and restarting.

Ok, so next question, are we not supposed to be able to get science from the launchpad or other areas around KSC any longer? Assuming that's true, is it a glitch that's allowing the science panel to appear? I found the hard way that if you try to take science readings on the launch pad, it'll seem like it takes the reading (though the reading panel looks wrong) but you'll get no science from the process after you recover your ship, and the science panel in the R&D center will effectively crash the game from that point on. At least, I can't get out of the science panel once I've gone into it without killing the game and restarting.

From what I found out through earlier questions by myself in this thread it is the expected behavior to not be able to gather science on the ground.

The rest (glitchy popup, game broken when entering R&D archive) is a bug.

From what I found out through earlier questions by myself in this thread it is the expected behavior to not be able to gather science on the ground.

The rest (glitchy popup, game broken when entering R&D archive) is a bug.

So here are some screenshots of what I'm seeing. First one is me taking a temp reading before launch.

006B6A3422F6B769E61F2BA911E386BFF1385901

Second one is what the science archives screen looks like after taking the temp scan from the launch pad:

E24313F46FCEA20CA99CC081BCBAC34EFA457E7A

The back button at this point no longer works so the only way I'm able to get back is to close the game and relaunch. And if I go back into science archives, it'll still look just like the 2nd screen shot so the issue doesn't go away by restarting. I'm guessing it doesn't like the "Current Data Value: NaN" and that I'll have to manually edit the save game file to remove the problematic research entry to resolve this in my current game.

It's because we set the value to 0, which apparently triggers some divide-by-zero errors. I'll switch it to 0.00000001 so it won't.

The smallest size *radial* RealChute should fit on 0.3m sounding rockets. The other ones could use smaller sizes, yes. It is a bug in TweakScale that the module is even being applied to RealChute parts; please never use TweakScale on RealChute parts.

The smallest size *radial* RealChute should fit on 0.3m sounding rockets. The other ones could use smaller sizes, yes. It is a bug in TweakScale that the module is even being applied to RealChute parts; please never use TweakScale on RealChute parts.

Are you refering to my first screenshot? I didn't actually adjust the size of the attached parachute. It was that small to begin with.

EDIT: So the OP suggests playing at Medium or Hard. I've got my game set to hard. The OP also suggests making science progression slightly higher then default hard so I have mine set to 80%. But I have to ask. Without a manned capsule and without the ability to gather science on the ground, how do you get enough scince to get a manned capsule? I need 25 just to get the first level of research and I'm having some difficulty getting to that.

Edited by chrisl

Ask yourself - did real-world rocket science start with taking samples of the ground around the launchsite? Was the first rocket we fired carrying a manned capsule? Obviously, the answer is no. A lot of effort went into ensuring that this mod be as realistic as possible, so the answer to 99% of possible problems is: you do what they did in real life. In this specific case, you launch sounding rockets to progressively higher altitudes.

Ask yourself - did real-world rocket science start with taking samples of the ground around the launchsite? Was the first rocket we fired carrying a manned capsule? Obviously, the answer is no. A lot of effort went into ensuring that this mod be as realistic as possible, so the answer to 99% of possible problems is: you do what they did in real life. In this specific case, you launch sounding rockets to progressively higher altitudes.

I'm not complaining that we can't do ground surveys from around the launch site. I'm just wondering how best to get science points. Launching sounding rockets to progressively higher altitudes is great but unless something has changed that I haven't seen yet, there's still only two atmospheric "layers" you can gather science at: Flying and Upper Atmosphere. You only have a temperature scanner and pressure scanner to start with and only the temp scanner can be used in multiple biomes. And while the contracts you get grant you roots for flying higher, there's no science reward for doing so. Again, I'm not complaining. I'm just wondering how others have managed it.

For sounding rockets, you get at least 2 biomes (grassland by going straight up, water going east, assuming the Cape) times at least three experiments (probe report, temp, barometer) times three situations (flying low, flying high, space low). That adds up to quite a bit of science, even apart from any you get from contracts.

It's because we set the value to 0, which apparently triggers some divide-by-zero errors. I'll switch it to 0.00000001 so it won't.

Just to make sure:

The RealChute parts don't have a TweakScale setting.

Their smallest cone chute is 0.5m diameter, that's why I was thinking about adding .3m and .2m ones.

the smallest radial RealChute is (I think) still a big bigger than .3m

The Squad chutes have a Tweakscale setting which is the only way to make chutes that fit the smaller .3m sounding rockets.

Then… Is there a way to remove TweakScale also from the Squad chutes?

Is the vessel mass still the factor for the size of the real chute, even in the early stages? Because as I said they seemed to be really big to me…

mecki: correct, the stackmount RealChute chutes should have smaller sizes added. That would be great.

The Squad ones should *not* have a TweakScale module when RealChute is installed; if they do that is a bug in TweakScale and should be brought up there (the Squad chute patch should have :NEEDS[!RealChute] added). If you want to make them vary in size too, you'll need to add a ProceduralChute module to them.

The size of a RealChute casing has no effect on how large or small the actual parachute can be or is. It's just a case.

@mecki: you probably already know this, but others reading this may not, so I think it's a good time for Real Chutes 101:

First, enter the VAB, pick a real chute and place it anywhere.

In the top left corner you have the button to switch to the "action groups" mode. Click it.

Now click the parachute you have placed in the VAB. This should open a big Real Chute menu on the left side of the screen.

There is plenty of options you could tweak manually, but for now it should be sufficient to scroll down and click "apply". This will automatically adjust the size of the chute to the mass of your payload and your desired landing speed.

Actually, I think we need to add a tutorial on such things to the wiki, might do it myself over the weekend.

Edited by Hattivat

@mecki: you probably already know this, but others reading this may not, so I think it's a good time for Real Chutes 101:

First, enter the VAB, pick a real chute and place it anywhere.

In the top left corner you have the button to switch to the "action groups" mode. Click it.

Now click the parachute you have placed in the VAB. This should open a big Real Chute menu on the left side of the screen.

There is plenty of options you could tweak manually, but for now it should be sufficient to scroll down and click "apply". This will automatically adjust the size of the chute to the mass of your payload and your desired landing speed.

Actually, I think we need to add a tutorial on such things to the wiki, might do it myself over the weekend.

The problem, when you first start a career, you have no ability to click action groups