[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

So I installed the full KCT mod and started a new game. Put together my first rocket to try and get the 10km altitude record. It's basically just a small SRB with some science and a parachute protected under a fairing. 152 purchases cose. 13 total parts (there's enough science to take 2 readings just in case I manage to get to two biomes). Just about the let KCT do it's thing when I see that it's going to take 285 days. This is a 2m x 0.2m SRB with 986m/s and 74s burn time. The entire rocket is less then a quarter ton (243kg, actually). 285 days seems a bit excessive. I thought it was something wrong with KCT but then I noticed that RP-0 sets the default "Overall Multiplier" to 25. So everything takes 25 times longer then what KCT defaults to. Is that intentional? Seems a bit excessive considering we managed to build something like 12 complete Saturn V rockets in about 4 years.

So I installed the full KCT mod and started a new game. Put together my first rocket to try and get the 10km altitude record. It's basically just a small SRB with some science and a parachute protected under a fairing. 152 purchases cose. 13 total parts (there's enough science to take 2 readings just in case I manage to get to two biomes). Just about the let KCT do it's thing when I see that it's going to take 285 days. This is a 2m x 0.2m SRB with 986m/s and 74s burn time. The entire rocket is less then a quarter ton (243kg, actually). 285 days seems a bit excessive. I thought it was something wrong with KCT but then I noticed that RP-0 sets the default "Overall Multiplier" to 25. So everything takes 25 times longer then what KCT defaults to. Is that intentional? Seems a bit excessive considering we managed to build something like 12 complete Saturn V rockets in about 4 years.

Strange, I never had this. You did remember to change the in-game time in the settings to 24 hour days right? Unless this is the case I honestly have no idea why it would be that long. Upgrades should bring the time down but it shouldn't be that long in the first place

Strange, I never had this. You did remember to change the in-game time in the settings to 24 hour days right? Unless this is the case I honestly have no idea why it would be that long. Upgrades should bring the time down but it shouldn't be that long in the first place

Ah, woops. No, I hadn't changed the time to 24 hour days. I've corrected that which had an effect but I'm still looking at more then 71 days for this rocket. That is with no upgrade points spent but over two months to build this rocket still seems a bit excessive. The rocket only stands a little over 5m tall, including the launch clamp, and it has significantly less power then the V-2 from nearly nine years before RO is set.

jonassm: I don't know. It didn't do it to me. I'll check when I get home.

chrisl: if you install KCT, make sure you grab the latest RP-0 release and take the KCT folder in it and overwrite yours; RP-0 ships with custom configs for KCT...sounds like you did though!

Note that KCT starts you off with a bunch of upgrade points. I suggest putting them all in your VAB build rate, should take you from 0.05 to 0.85 build rate, and down to just a week or two to build that thing. Note that that *does* mean your first node will take six years to unlock (because you spent no upgrades on node-unlocking rate), but guess what? Six years from 1951 is 1957. :)

DoctorJon, see answer to jonassm.

I have only been able to verify one issue with release 0.22: in this release, Procedural Parts parts are improperly marked as non-RP0. I have not seen any other parts improperly marked. Please post examples of parts you think should not be so marked, or how you can manage to have all parts in the starting node marked as non-RP0.

As for SXT, RP-0 supports considerably more than four parts. We support the Sputnik probe core, we use that model for a Vanguard core, we support at least three engines, we support antennas...the list goes on. And many, many SXT parts are easy to add support for (e.g. the structural parts).

Suggestion

Hi All, i'm following close and playing RP-0 1st let me thank you for making this great mod.

I've one suggestion, i'm getting the contracts to launch Vostok and Voskhod, and this (space factory - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/47765) mod is already compatible with RO, so my suggestion is to add vostok and voskshod to the Tech Tree node:

Vostok: General Rocketry / Survivability

Voskhod: Mature Orbital Rocketry or Second-Gen Capsules

Well if you believe it's a good add to RP-0 maybe it can be added :)

Edited by Rakird

Is it possible to get throttle-able engines a little earlier, haveing a real problem with my rockets over heating in the upper atmo, I also must add that I'm using the DRE beta release...can't list a problem with out giving you any fact that may pertain to it....also yes I have tried a super steep and a super shallow gravity turns....in an attempt to get out of the atmo sooner....still burn up..:(

Sorry, can't tell with the double negative, but I think you're asking why proc fairings aren't in the starting node?

I have no answer for you, since they are. Sounds like you didn't install correctly--if you installed manually, make sure you installed a release, not just dropped the repo in your game.

Sorry, can't tell with the double negative, but I think you're asking why proc fairings aren't in the starting node?

I have no answer for you, since they are. Sounds like you didn't install correctly--if you installed manually, make sure you installed a release, not just dropped the repo in your game.

Bluh, accidental double negative. I'll double check my install.

Does anyone have a good resource for the specifications for some of the early rockets and possible the order in which rockets were used? I've been hunting and while I have found a few sites with decent information, they never seem to have all the answers I'm looking for. Specifically I'm currently trying to create the Atlas D but I can't seem to figure out how the fuel tank should be setup.

Speaking of the Atlas, something odd I noticed is that the staging module used to mount the three engines can be picked up before you research the engines themselves. Was that intentional?

Do I need to unprune stuff from RO_Global_tanks/fairings.prnl to see all the available parts for RP-0? Are non-procedural tanks/fairings intended to be used for RP-0?

Probably. AIES Fairings are supported, and I will be adding KW to that list *soon--ish*

Tidus Klein: that sounds like you have too high a TWR. What is your min and max TWR for each stage, and their burn times?

ok here is a pic of my craft,

vQAFAPb.png

1st stage, TWR 1.52-2.40....1 minute burn time exactly

2nd stage, 1.33-6.17.....2.45 minutes.

I never make it past the 1st stage thou

edit: never mind, I just held on to the Solids after they burned out for a while, waiting till i was over water before I jettisoned them...slowed me down enough to fix my heat problem.

Edited by Tidus Klein

So how long are these sounding rocket contracts supposed to continue ? I'm getting to the point where I need more dV than I'd need to put these things into orbit (15Mm contract). Am I supposed to just stop doing these on my own ?

Edited by Postron