[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

Well, that's what I'd like to avoid- using unsupported parts without prpee costs or with too early unlock. We lack lower stage soviet engines anyway, so for now the ONLY viable option is going for Atlas boosters and then H-1.

GigaG, the list of mods RP-0 currently supports (or has WIP support for) is in the OP.

baldamundo: Welcome to the forums! RO (and RP-0 as adjunct) change a ton of stuff. I suggest you check out the Realism Overhaul Wiki, in particular the False KSP Lessons page and the "Your first rocket" tutorial. That should give you a better overview.

As for RP-0, career is rather different. You have to fly sounding rockets, you can't collect science from Earth's surface / water / KSC, engines are very expensive (but tanks are cheap), and the tech tree has had some reorganization and re-costing. Also we highly recommend Kerbal Construction Time, and if you invest all your early points in VAB build rate, it will take you the quite-historical six years (1951-1957) to go from sounding rockets to orbital rockets (don't worry, you can timewarp).

Rothank: They certainly are going to be supported! The old "fuel systems" node is going to be renamed "Staged Combustion" and that's where the NK-15 (predecessor to the NK-33) will go, for example.

However, Raidernick's Soviet Probes and Rockets mod is in the process of being supported, so you will shortly have a "Soviet" path available. It involves flying sounding rockets until you get enough science for the second rocket node, then buying the R-7.

Acemcbean: Thanks for the kind words!

Oh, Rothank, sorry, missed your other question. It's just made with procedural parts and procedural fairings, though I do use ferram's Saturn-Nova textures for proc parts and proc fairings. I borrowed my technique from him as well, making big drum-shaped proc tanks for the main part of the stage, then smooth conic domes above and below to represent the "inner tank". That got a whole lot easier with .90 and the offset tool (that career was in .25).

Do you have any plans to implement Raidernick's US Probes pack? They would compliment this nicely in conjunction with FASA.

Sure, eventually. The goal is that eventually RO and RP-0 will be in sync. Unfortunately its a lot of work first to get things into RO and then to get them properly placed and costed in RP-0, and obviously in RP-0 we are WAY behind the curve :)

baldamundo: Welcome to the forums!

Thank you!

RO (and RP-0 as adjunct) change a ton of stuff. I suggest you check out the Realism Overhaul Wiki, in particular the False KSP Lessons page and the "Your first rocket" tutorial. That should give you a better overview.

As for RP-0, career is rather different. You have to fly sounding rockets, you can't collect science from Earth's surface / water / KSC, engines are very expensive (but tanks are cheap), and the tech tree has had some reorganization and re-costing. Also we highly recommend Kerbal Construction Time, and if you invest all your early points in VAB build rate, it will take you the quite-historical six years (1951-1957) to go from sounding rockets to orbital rockets (don't worry, you can timewarp).

Yeah, think I'll definitely have to give this a try - just as soon as I finish or get bored of my SETI campaign. And I'm already using Kerbal Construction Time - absolutely fantastic mod, adds so much immersion.

v0.24 of RP-0, OTRAG, has been released.

**Note this is a save breaking update. Engine parts have changed roles. You may have to rebuild your craft, and in the case of the AJ10 you will have to do more. Any vessels in flight with an AJ10-early will be removed.**

This release brought to you once again with massive help from Agathorn. He's an official contributor now, but he still gets thanked for what he slogged through.

- Add AJ10-104D config (Ablestar engine, restartable).

- Switch to using SXT parts for the X-405 and early AJ10 engines. **NOTE:** Save-breaking, since the old "AJ10 early" engine no longer exists. Make sure no inflight vessels use that engine; you will have to recreate (or hand-edit) craft files using it. Sorry, but this one just looks soooo good and the old one was a placeholder. Requires SXT v20 for obvious reasons. On the bright side, the new X-405 has roll control from its turbopump exhaust jets! (That's the second "engine" listed in the part info window).

- With all VSR engine changes backported to Realism Overhaul, and with an SXT X-405 engine, the LV-T30 is now once again the LR-105 sustainer.

- S1.5400 / 11D33 configs moved off the RD-0105/RD-0109 (since they are unrelated) and combined with the RD-58 configs (RD-58 is a development of 11D33), which is now on the LV-T45.

- Fix pricing for Redstone/Juno I engine (slightly cheaper in A-6/Redstone variant, more expensive in A-7/Juno variant).

- Cost and place XLR-11 (X-1 and the like) and XLR-99 (X-15) engines.

- Place and price F-1 engine.

- Fix up RL10 configs and pricing.

- Place and price FASA Gemini.

- BevoLJ: Place and price Salyut stations and Soyuz ferries and Skylab (from Raidernick's mods).

- Fix Flight Control node typo.

- Place standard KW fairings in the start node.

- Fix Bell 8xxx configs (Agena engine).

- Add a new part, the Tiny Tim booster (for sounding rockets) from Agathorn.

- Procedural SRB now unlocks with your first solid booster (Castor 1), not before.

- WAC/Aerobee sustainer engine upgrades now cost money.

- *We now recommend TestFlight for all your part testing/failure needs.*

Sorry? You still do, and RP-0 continues to have a configuration for NoMoreGrind. Not sure where you might have seen anything related to that in the changelog...

It's because it seems that the update, when put into CKAN, doesn't show NoMoreGrind as an recommended mod. Thanks for the support.

EDIT: Hope you can understand my terribad english.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find an answer.

I started watching Bevo's videos yesterday and it got me back into wanting to play some Kerbal. So I installed Realism and RPZ...made a starter probe...but whenever I try to launch it...it says "No connection to send command on". This is the first rocket I have made, it's got a probe core, a tank, engine, and an attenna...I don't know what else to do to get my first launch going...I must be doing something wrong.

EDIT: Figured it out, needed to install RSS Config for remotetech

Edited by Staxed

I'm a little confused as to how to initiate RP-0. I start a new save up and I see TechManager pop asking me to pick a tree. None of the options say "RP-0" Do I select "Community Tech Tree"?

Also is RP-0 meant to be played with a science only career? If not.. what do I do about contracts? I saw they were unaffected last night when I tried RP-0, but then again I don't even know if I picked the right tech tree to begin with.

I'm a little confused as to how to initiate RP-0. I start a new save up and I see TechManager pop asking me to pick a tree. None of the options say "RP-0" Do I select "Community Tech Tree"?

Also is RP-0 meant to be played with a science only career? If not.. what do I do about contracts? I saw they were unaffected last night when I tried RP-0, but then again I don't even know if I picked the right tech tree to begin with.

You have to pick Community Tech Tree. It supports career mode.

So we're supposed to be using NoMoreGrind with RP-0? If that's the case could you please write that somewhere in the OP? I had no idea until O Nerd said something here.

You don't have to, but yeah it should be listed as recommended. Mainly just because of the silly non-moddable restrctions, at least with No More Grind settings the upgrade costs are a lot less and you can upgrade past the silly restrictions a lot easier.

- - - Updated - - -

In addition to what O Nerd said (Community Tech Tree and Career Mode), make sure you are *not* using Texture Replacer as it is known to break the contracts.

Texture Replacer breaks the contracts? Thats ashame. How are the two even related? I didn't get that far with RP-0. But that may have explained my issues with mission controller extender. Ah well. TextureReplacer is a little too important at the moment. ( need my sky box amugst all else ) So until there is a solution RP-0 goes on the back burner for now.

Texture Replacer breaks the contracts? Thats ashame. How are the two even related? I didn't get that far with RP-0. But that may have explained my issues with mission controller extender. Ah well. TextureReplacer is a little too important at the moment. ( need my sky box amugst all else ) So until there is a solution RP-0 goes on the back burner for now.

Its because TR has problems handling some textures, which causes the GameDatabase to get corrupted, which then cascades into tons of other problems after that.

It literally took me a ludicrous number of tries to get my Vanguard-based launcher to work. Different failures I got-

-Vanguard fails to ignite (but the other "engine" that is in the engine part keeps firing, making it hard to notice) and the rocket tips over. This happened twice, but unlike the real infamous TV3 incident, I could recover most of the rocket afterwards. I began to use launch clamps and checked the F3 menu before blastoff. The Vanguard engine became fairly reliable - it would frequently fail to ignite, but I could prevent total failure with launch clamps, and I only recall a few in-flight failures.

-The AJ-10 quickly became the issue. It would fail to ignite, shut down, or downright explode on several occasions. In fact, I even did a "static firing" for the Flight Test mod by holding the stage down with launch clamps for a "ground test." Even on my final successful launch, it would frequently "lose thrust", reducing it to somewhere around half power.

-With AJ-10 failures (or even, if I remember correctly, total successes), I kept failing to make orbit. One particular case I remember is where my periapsis was 80 or 90km, below the edge of the atmosphere. I used the satellite for a bit before terminating. I eventually fixed this by using 4 SRBs (copies of the Altair solid-fuel stage.)

On another note, the British "Gamma" engines have no FlightTest configs. Could you add them? I kinda feel cheaty about using them when they can't fail like the other liquid engines.