[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

Latest Changes (v0.37 aka ZOND)

68747470733a2f2f75706c6f61642e77696b696d656469612e6f72672f77696b6970656469612f636f6d6d6f6e732f312f31312f5a6f6e645f417373656d626c792e6a7067

• More Temperature and Bio Sample science results courtesy jhathawaytn.
  • Engine cost and tech updates from SirKeplan.
  • New Crewed Lunar Orbital contract from Arbos, and Milestone Crewed Lunar Flyby.
  • Duration parameter fix (needs CC v1.7.1).
  • Corrections to KCT science node formula and simulation formula; you no longer get to game the system researching multiple techs at once. However, upgrading the R&D facility does increase your research rate now.
  • Hide some non-RO SXT parts in career mode.
  • Pricing for lunar heat shields.
  • Tech tree extended out another few years, with some strings working until the present day. The Aero line, the Staged Combustion line, and the Rocketry line see the most improvements. Note that some parts have been moved earlier/later.

Photo via Wikipedia, from RKA.

Just encountered a wierd bug after updating to RO 10.3:

In my RP Zero saved game I had one probe in orbit around the moon and one landed on the moon north pole.

When I continued the save today after updating all mods using Ckan, my probes where no longer at earths moon, but at Saturns moon Iapetus, and all of a sudden I got a whole lot of Iapetus contracts.

Is lesson learned here not to update mods during a playthrough?

Did some more investigation into this and found out that Earths moon has changed its ID from REF = 10 to REF = 8

Easy enough to change in persistent.sfs, but this does not change the fact that Im still getting Iapetus contracts!

Anybody know how to fix this?

Can anyone help me with designs for a Mach 1.5-2 craft that uses only the Turbojet and the cr-2 ramjet?

I have tried multi-jet designs (6x turbojets) that lacked the necessary high-altitude thrust to get past 300m/s, and SRB-boosted ramjet designs that never produce more than 30kN despite travelling at 700m/s.

What am I supposed to do?

I'm having some trouble upgrading to the newest version using CKAN. I also just updated RO and CKAN says that I am trying to install a mod that conflicts with another. Is that just a metadata issue or are the newest releases of RO and RP-0 really not compatible?

Thx

EDIT: All solved, just had to delete biosample.cfg before updating.

Edited by Warp11

Hi,

I've watched the latest episode of Tyler Raiz' Realism Overhaul series (

)

In this epsiode in fact he goes bankrupt. But since the game apparently doesn't allow an account balance below zero, Tyler has more money by failing the "first artificial satellite"-contract and retaking it later, than he would have had, if he would have accomplished the contract without failing.

Is this intentional? Looks kinda exploitish to me. Because as long as the in-advance-payment of a contract is enough to build a rocket capable of the demanded task, you can't lose the game.

Can anyone help me with designs for a Mach 1.5-2 craft that uses only the Turbojet and the cr-2 ramjet?

I have tried multi-jet designs (6x turbojets) that lacked the necessary high-altitude thrust to get past 300m/s, and SRB-boosted ramjet designs that never produce more than 30kN despite travelling at 700m/s.

What am I supposed to do?

I had quite the same problem for a long time, could get nowhere near the speeds that the engine descriptions were giving. Stacking more of them only meant they accelerate quicker to about 250m/s, but at about 310m/s it was like flying into a wall.

I guess it has something to do with how Advanced Jet engine mod handles air intakes, make sure you have the right amount of intake and the ones that are meant for supersonic speed.

Eventually I managed to create a plane that had none of the problems, it could get to 2 mach with one of the early 1950s jets you get, and 2.5-3 mach with the better ones. It goes so fast that it can cook its own engines, so only engine internal temperature is the limit.

Here is the idea: http://i.imgur.com/tjTAORr.jpg

ps. not even putting ramjet on that thing cause that causes it to go so fast it melts the winglets.

That's all stock KSP funds handling...

And I'm basically fine with it more or less as it is. Failing a high-profile contract should force you to rethink things, or Redouble Your Efforts, but it shouldn't be a game-ender.

Fwiw, I, as an active player of RP0, agree with that.

Guys, can someone give me an advice on supersonic aircraft? I mean- rockets i can do, no problem, but designing an aircraft that can go up to 20k (peak) and pull 600m/s is just beyond me. I barelly pulled off the initial crewed sound barrier contract with '50s tech. It should be possible to get the second one with the same tech, right?

You will need rockets for Mach 2, I think, unless and until you unlock the J79 and Atar 9K (or maybe the Avon). The J57 probably doesn't have the thermal overhead for it.

As for plane design, I'd suggest checking out the FAR craft thread, where people offer advice on craft building. I can do some area-ruling but I'm soooo far from being an expert.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121176-Official-FAR-Craft-Repository

Guys, can someone give me an advice on supersonic aircraft? I mean- rockets i can do, no problem, but designing an aircraft that can go up to 20k (peak) and pull 600m/s is just beyond me. I barelly pulled off the initial crewed sound barrier contract with '50s tech. It should be possible to get the second one with the same tech, right?

Check my post on previous page, a plane like that can get above mach 2 with Rolls Royce Avon, which is on only the 3rd node in tech tree, the Mature Supersonic Flight (1953-1958 tech). Not saying it is a great design, it can go into violent flatspin if you fly at high angle for long, but it can do any supersonic X-plane contract and return back home, so its enough.

Of course, if you are only in basic Supersonic Flight node (1945-1950), you will just have to build a rocket plane, or a combined jet/rocket.

How does the Antenna range system work? I am using the sounding rockets avionics package which says it has a range of 200km but I still get a connection past that range. Is that just a bug or does the receiving end range (ground station in this case) also count?

Thx

How does the Antenna range system work? I am using the sounding rockets avionics package which says it has a range of 200km but I still get a connection past that range. Is that just a bug or does the receiving end range (ground station in this case) also count?

Thx

Your effective range equals:

Antenna X range + sqr(Antenna X * Antenna Y). So, in the case of Avionics Package connecting to KSC (max range 75 Mm) it'd be 200 + sqr(200*75000) = [around] 4100 km.

Also, thanks for the link Nathan, after literally 5 minutes of tinkering with wing design my craft (using single J57) went from 360m/s max to 570m/s max. That's just great, i had no idea how important area ruling is, shame on me!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

If i hit a "speed limit" on this design I'll simply try delta wing, that might minimize curvature a bit more, methinks.

EDIT: A bit more playing around and... 750m/s@11km, engine has almost melted. Meaning if I switch to Avro I'll pull like mach 2.4 with ease.

Edited by Rothank

Thx

In addition to what Rothank wrote, it is also important to note that a few of the ground stations have much further range than 75,000,000m

Test Flight could be causing it to fail for some reason. Do you get any failure messages anywhere? It works fine for me with Test Flight, though. Have you tried it without Test Flight, or tried cutting away any mods that RP-0 / Realism Overhaul don't recommend, to narrow it down?

I have played with this fifteen ways from sunday to try to figure out what is going on. I currently only have RO/RP-0 and the recommended mods installed and am still experiencing the problem. It is an issue if I launch from the runway or the launch pad. The problem boils down to the throttle going to zero a couple of seconds after launch. I believe this is a behaviour associated with Remote Tech but the problem persisted even after removing the mod.

When the throttle goes to zero, I get a message that there is inadequate avionics mass and that the controls are being locked. I do not get this message or behaviour if I launch without the SRB.

How does the Antenna range system work?

This has been answered twice already, but I'll now try to provide an answer that maybe is worthy of being added to the RP-0 wiki.

RP-0 uses the so-called "root model" for antenna ranges. The Remotetech wiki has a chapter on this, but here's the basics in brief: an excellent transmitter/receiver on one end can connect to a puny whip antenna over a distance that vastly exceeds the whip's nominal range.

Specifically, it is (the smaller antenna's range) + SQR(range1 * range2), capped at a maximum of 100times the smaller omni range or 1000x the smaller dish range.

This means that

a) In the early game, you can assume that every antenna will have 100x it's nominal range. The Sputnik whip antenna is good for GEO, and the Communotron-16 (the stock starting antenna) can talk back to earth from the moon. If you lose connection, it's usually because you have no line of sight to any ground station.

B) Two equal antennae will have their ranges doubled when talking to each other, that is, two Communotron-16 can still talk to each other from 8Mm apart. They are entirely suitable to build an early comm network.

(TO DO) provide a table of comm ranges between different antennae.

- - - Updated - - -

For what it's worth: I just did a fresh install via CKAN and found that

a) TweakScale and RemoteTech RSS Configuration are not part of the bundle.

B) even though I installed every single recommended mod, many prefab vessels report "missing or invalid parts".

By the way, what has become of Flight Test?

Laie: Excellent summary. I'll put it in the FAQ. :)

Test Flight seems to work ok in 1.0.4, we just need to make configs for it for our new engines. Haven't seen Agathorn in forever, I assume he's busy at his new job.

ETA: Tweakscale has issues with RF. I need to improve the interaction, but for now it's not a recommended mod. The RT2 config is no longer needed since RT now supports ModuleManager patches and RO includes one out of the box.

MedievalNerd: Great to see you! :) And we definitely built on your foundations!

I think there is one more piece of information that should be added to Laie's otherwise excellent summary: Omnidirectional antennas stack. That means that if your satellite looks like a hedgehog, it has a vastly greater communication range than with a single antenna.

Oh, and cheers MedievalNerd, glad to see you back!

(the smaller antenna's range) + SQR(range1 * range2), capped at a maximum of 100times the smaller omni range or 1000x the smaller dish range.
it is also important to note that a few of the ground stations have much further range than 75,000,000m

Notably there are three DSIF ground station with a 500 Gm range evenly spread around the globe, meaning once you are above 2.5 Mm ASL you will always have line of sight to at least one of them, thus all omnidirectional antennas with a range less than 51 Mm will reach 100 times their listed value (but note that the ground station isn't necessarily right below you, so a 100 km antenna is only safe up to 9,724 km).

The best starting antenna (Communotron 16) has a range of 4 Mm and will thus reach 400 Mm (enough to reach the Moon), while the first available dish antenna (Comms DTS-M1) has a range of 400 Mm and will thus reach 14.5 Gm (enough to cover Earth's SOI).

I seem to be having some issues with the Bonzana cockpit, and FAR seems to agree with me that something is not right :

rqNgWL8l.jpg

While the debug voxels appear to be alright to a cursory examination FAR obviously has problems with it, and i don't think it's just the mach calculations given the trouble it's giving me. The other cockpits are fine