[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

4 minutes ago, Three_Pounds said:

I just started a career safe with it. I have launched a few early aircraft and sounding rockets. Works fine so far. No major issues.

Any guides on how to build proper airplanes? I just suck at those. I know the basics, but I'd like to know more. Much more.

Edited by SpaceEnthusiast

Make sure you use all the tools FAR provides to you. Also, setting up the control surfaces individually is important. I am not sure how to help you beyond that. Maybe post an aircraft you're trying to improve? Maybe I could give you some pointers.

3 hours ago, Nobody6 said:

Which is why I installed it. It works with 1.0.5 but some things are brocken

Version 0.48 of RP-0 is aimed for KSP 1.1. You cannot expect for it to work with KSP 1.0.5 without any problems and Nathan acknowledges this in the GitHub release.

Edited by Phineas Freak

1 hour ago, duckmeister12 said:

The parts in RO dont go to the non-RP0 or non-RO. whats going on?

edit: all the parts are non-rp0

1 hour ago, SpaceEnthusiast said:

I have RO and RP-0 installed but the "part not supported by RO or RP-0" is driving me crazy. What do I delete to get rid of it?

• Allow easy ingame hiding of Non-RP-0 parts, just create a folder in GameData called NoNonRP0 and then delete GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache then start the game

1 hour ago, duckmeister12 said:

The parts in RO dont go to the non-RP0 or non-RO. whats going on?

edit: all the parts are non-rp0

If all your parts are non-rp0 then it sounds like you installed incorrectly.  Make sure you download from the releases page NOT the repo itself.

Look in your GameData/RP0 folder.  Is there a tree.cfg file? 

first, thanks dearly to all the dedicated modders out there working on makibg KSP something a lot more awesome than it was already.

i wanna try out realism overhaul and rss career. but @NathanKell said that there are major changes they are working on and this update is done so that 1.0.5 saves will work...also according to the Scott Manley videos, hes always running into bugs with realism overhaul... wondering if now is a good time to jump in, wondering if 1.1.2 version will be more reliable than 1.0.5 and wondering if i should wait awhile for tha major changes to be implemented or for possible bugs to be worked out. id rather not start a career only to have to start over when they update in with major improvements they could not implement now without ruining 1.0.5 saves.

thoughts?

Edited by EliasDanger

Honestly if you wait, you will always be waiting.  RO is *years* in the making and basically a perpetual project.

1.1.2 in general makes things better because you can run x64 and not be pushing up against the memory issues we've constantly had to deal with.

1 hour ago, g00bd0g said:

Allow easy ingame hiding of Non-RP-0 parts, just create a folder in GameData called NoNonRP0 and then delete GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache then start the game

I have no idea how it works, but it does. You have my sincerest gratitude, good sir. 

I like my things to be neat.

Edit: do you happen to have a similar trick for the RO parts? :P

Edited by SpaceEnthusiast

There are some nodes in R&D which unlock ABSOLUTELY NO PARTS. Some of these nodes are all the Nuclear Power nodes, Specialized Science tech (with some nodes after), Heat Management Systems (with all nodes after it) and many more. I have installed RP-0 and RO with all the required mods except Asteroid Day and Advance Jet Engine as they are not supported even for 1.1.

@Three_Pounds you assume that I did it right. I did not. I forgot to update the netkan to take advantage of the version file (or @pjf's version-file-adding pull didn't, or there was a merge conflict, or something) and so CKAN thought, incorrectly, this was for 1.0.5.

Sorry to everyone who installed it for 1.0.5; please revert to 0.47.

Sorry to everyone waiting for it on 1.1.2; it should show up shortly.

@EliasDanger as Agathorn says, it'll be a long wait. Also much of the instability described is due to ram limitations and 1.1.2 fixes that. Also, uh, Scott does some very unorthodx (or just plain weird) stuff, and therefore courts bugs, don't forget that bit. :P

@Andretti AJE 2.7.1 is for KSP 1.1.2. What is claiming it is not supported?

Yes, the tech tree after ~1970 is fairly sparse. That is acknowledged freely.

Also, the Asteroid Day thing--it's fixed in CKAN but I forgot to fix the OP. Sorted now.

Oh, and welcome to the forum @Andretti ! :)

@NathanKell

Thank you so much! These mods you guys make are beyond awesome

48 minutes ago, Andretti said:

There are some nodes in R&D which unlock ABSOLUTELY NO PARTS. Some of these nodes are all the Nuclear Power nodes, Specialized Science tech (with some nodes after), Heat Management Systems (with all nodes after it) and many more. I have installed RP-0 and RO with all the required mods except Asteroid Day and Advance Jet Engine as they are not supported even for 1.1.

You can always add more mods, like Near future propulsion and other stuff. Note that this mods is called "realistic progression" and there is next to no progression in real life space technology since 1970 so.....

Edited by species

8 hours ago, Agathorn said:

Honestly if you wait, you will always be waiting.  RO is *years* in the making and basically a perpetual project.

1.1.2 in general makes things better because you can run x64 and not be pushing up against the memory issues we've constantly had to deal with.

8 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@EliasDanger as Agathorn says, it'll be a long wait. Also much of the instability described is due to ram limitations and 1.1.2 fixes that. Also, uh, Scott does some very unorthodx (or just plain weird) stuff, and therefore courts bugs, don't forget that bit. :P

Thanks for the info! I will be diving in now then.

@Three_Pounds how did you manage to lift off airplanes? The basic landing gear (LY-01, LY-10, LY-05) seems to either wobble or drift a lot to the point I lose control before I even take off from the runway. This with airplanes that otherwise work fine. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, Enroy said:

@Three_Pounds how did you manage to lift off airplanes? The basic landing gear (LY-01, LY-10, LY-05) seems to either wobble or drift a lot to the point I lose control before I even take off from the runway. This with airplanes that otherwise work fine. Any suggestions?

The aircraft I made is a taildragger, i.e. the wheel on the aft section is very high compared to the front wheels. When stationary, the aircraft nose is pointing up. While accelerating, the aircraft assumes flight attitude bringing the nose down and pulling the craft horizontally. At this point, only the two front wheels touch the runway. I am using the steerable static wheels as my gear but steering is disabled on all of them. At this point, the aircraft is held straight with the rudder (yaw) to counteract the torque the prop is producing (not sure if that's just my imagination or if it's really modelled). I also have flaps configured to help me get some extra lift. Once I go fast enough (~50 m/s) I can lift off, retract the flaps and start climbing.

While landing I take advantage of the extra drag the flaps produce to slow the aircraft down enough for a safe landing. It's important to not flare too hard because I have to avoid having the aft gear touch the runway.

Hope it helps?! :(

Btw: Does anyone know why my game appears so ... dark? Illumination of the terrain and static assets seem fine but my aircraft and rockets appear much too dark?

Edited by Three_Pounds

This will be my doom, i just went to sleep at 6:30 and i wake up for work at 8:30. Gonna be a looooooooooong day.

Got my first comsat up tho!

Edited by species

@NathanKell It's so awesome it's here!   Thank you so much!  Time to go get another KSP folder going (I'm at let's see... 7 now) and see if my old game will work again.

Is there someplace you've posted these future, save-breaking plans though?  I'm very curious what they'll entail.