[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

I've been having some contract related problems with my recent game.  Every couple times I start up the game my progress and contact history gets reset.  Contract archives are empty, I get contracts for first flight and similar again, and any outstanding contracts are gone.

As far as I can tell it happens both after crashes and after normal normal exits, so I'm assuming that whatever is removing all my contracts is happening in the process of loading a game.  I'm not positive its RP-0 causing the problems, but most of my mods are either dependencies/recommendations of RP-0 so it seems to be a good place to start.

Here are logs from the most recent load where my progress got reset:

Player.log

KSP.log

Edit:

Here's a list of my GameData directory as well:

000_Toolbar
AJE
B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings
BetterBurnTime
Chatterer
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ConnectedLivingSpace
ContractConfigurator
CustomBarnKit
DMagicOrbitalScience
DMagicUtilities
DeadlyReentry
Diazo
EasyVesselSwitch
EditorExtensionsRedux
EngineGroupController
EngineLight
FerramAerospaceResearch
Firespitter
ForgottenRealEngines
KAS
KIS
KRASH
KSCSwitcher
KSP-AVC
KerbalConstructionTime
KerbalEngineer
KerbalJointReinforcement
KerbalRenamer
Kopernicus
MagiCore
MagicSmokeIndustries
MechJeb2
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleManager.2.6.25.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
NoNonRp0
Olympic1ARPIcons
PersistentRotation
PreciseNode
ProceduralFairings
ProceduralFairings-ForEverything
ProceduralParts
QuickStart
RCSBuildAid
RP-0
RSS-Textures
RSSDateTime
RealChute
RealFuels
RealHeat
RealPlume
RealSolarSystem
RealismOverhaul
RemoteTech
SCANsat
SSTU
SXT
ShipManifest
SmokeScreen
SolverEngines
Sovietengines
Squad
StockBugFixControllerPlus
Strategia
Taerobee
TestFlight
TextureReplacer
ThunderAerospace
TimeControl
TriggerTech
TweakScale
UniversalStorage
VenStockRevamp
WaypointManager
[x] Science!
kOS
toolbar-settings.dat

Edited by jenden

Currently I have problems with the default runway textures.  As known, the default tarmac runway turns into a normal concrete runway at the start of the realistic career.

If looked closely, this runway texture is slightly above the default tarmac texture height of KSP runway, so when loading planes for test and regular flights, 80% of the time the gears do not recognize the concrete runway and sink into ground (to the default tarmac runway height)

However the real problem is that the runway is made up of 3 sections and you can easily recognize the transition between the textures when you hover your mouse over them.  During take-off, when the plane passes these joint points over the runway, it jumps abruptly like it hits a bumper on the road.  This is even more recognizable during simulation.

With this stage it is nearly impossible to take off, or worse, land to the default runway of realistic progress zero runway. I don't know which config or dll changes the runway textures, but I would be glad if someone can help me on this.

There are no problems with Launchpad, VAB or SPH.

26 minutes ago, Hancer said:

Currently I have problems with the default runway textures.  As known, the default tarmac runway turns into a normal concrete runway at the start of the realistic career.

If looked closely, this runway texture is slightly above the default tarmac texture height of KSP runway, so when loading planes for test and regular flights, 80% of the time the gears do not recognize the concrete runway and sink into ground (to the default tarmac runway height)

However the real problem is that the runway is made up of 3 sections and you can easily recognize the transition between the textures when you hover your mouse over them.  During take-off, when the plane passes these joint points over the runway, it jumps abruptly like it hits a bumper on the road.  This is even more recognizable during simulation.

With this stage it is nearly impossible to take off, or worse, land to the default runway of realistic progress zero runway. I don't know which config or dll changes the runway textures, but I would be glad if someone can help me on this.

There are no problems with Launchpad, VAB or SPH.

do you have RSS? I have the same issue but I've always thought it's RSS not RP-0 related.

7 minutes ago, Hancer said:

and as far as I know, you cant play realistic progress zero without RSS and RO

ah - good point- I havn't had my 1st coffe yet :wink: you can play RO without RSS but RP-0 requires it. I still thinks that this is more related to RSS and not RP-0.
Maybe clean install with RO + RSS - RP-0 can confirm it?

Yes I also tried with and without ckan the clean installation of all dependencies. It is not RSS related because RSS does not change the initial runway to a concrete one when you start a career.

The problem is in the module which changes runway textures under RP-0

Couple of bugs with missions in RP0

For both the weather satellite contract missions, which ask you to put up 3 satellites each, they are satisfied as soon as you put up the first.

For the 1/LLO mission, which asks you to put a kerbal into low lunar orbit, I will get the ship to the proper orbit, check the mission and see that it's counting down for the 20 hour orbit, set a kerbal alarm clock for the 20 hours - and come back to find the timer reset. 

58 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

For the 1/LLO mission, which asks you to put a kerbal into low lunar orbit, I will get the ship to the proper orbit, check the mission and see that it's counting down for the 20 hour orbit, set a kerbal alarm clock for the 20 hours - and come back to find the timer reset. 

I'm pretty sure this is a known bug. All the endurance record contracts and the manned orbital missions only count down for the active vessel. Since this is obviously a bug and not the intended purpose of these contracts, I personally just set an alarm clock timer for the duration and the use the cheat menu to complete the contracts after I return the Kerbals to earth.

5 hours ago, Rabada said:

I'm pretty sure this is a known bug. All the endurance record contracts and the manned orbital missions only count down for the active vessel. Since this is obviously a bug and not the intended purpose of these contracts, I personally just set an alarm clock timer for the duration and the use the cheat menu to complete the contracts after I return the Kerbals to earth.

I've done that too.  The think is - 2/LEO and 1/LEO work just fine, I don't know what the difference between the two are.

Does anyone have any idea why I might be getting a 1/2 second pause every 5 seconds when playing in Career mode? Don't have the same issue (much longer between pauses) when playing Sandbox or Science.

Using 1.1.3, RSS, RO, RP-0 and all the required mods.

Any help appreciated!

@jarraya - I've gotten reports of garbage collection issues, so likely you're having the same issue.  That being said:

Everyone - if anyone is able to help me with some additional information, it would be helpful.  I know there's more than a few places in Contract Configurator with garbage creation issues, but most of the reports I can of actual noticeable player problems come from RP-0 (not sure if that's due to the particulars of the contracts, or more competition for memory from other parts of the mod).  There seems to have been an increase in reports recently - not sure if that's coincidence or if a recent change in Contract Configurator exacerbated the problem.

Now, if someone who is having these issues has time, I'd like to get some more information.  What I need is for someone to get me info on a couple different versions of Contract Configurator.  Specifically 1.14.0 and the latest development build (grab 1.18.1 and apply the dev dll on top of that).

For both versions, the info I need is:

• Heap allocation data from MemGraph.  I need this in the following situations:
    • In Space Center, no contracts active
    • In Space Center, multiple contracts active (4+)
    • In flight scene, no contracts active
    • In flight scene, multiple contracts active (4+)
  • General "feel" in the above situations.  Are you seeing noticeable lag/stutters?

If someone is able to provide that information it would help me greatly in targeting my efforts towards what's causing the most pain in RP-0.

18 hours ago, jarraya said:

Does anyone have any idea why I might be getting a 1/2 second pause every 5 seconds when playing in Career mode? Don't have the same issue (much longer between pauses) when playing Sandbox or Science.

Using 1.1.3, RSS, RO, RP-0 and all the required mods.

Any help appreciated!

It's garbage collection. Unfortunately Contract Configurator creates a lot of it and the more contracts you have active the worse it is. In my personal experience I had to uninstall it, together with RP-0. Probably in the next version of KSP the issue will be solved, Devs are working on it. 

Edited by Epox75

Excatly. On the other hand, in order to advance, you need to accept lots if contracts beforehand to get funds in advance.

Maybe like xcom, you may get funding from the government each year in parallel with the successfully completed missions

2 hours ago, Epox75 said:

It's garbage collection. Unfortunately Contract Configurator creates a lot of it and the more contracts you have active the worse it is. In my personal experience I had to uninstall it, together with RP-0. Probably in the next version of KSP the issue will be solved, Devs are working on it. 

I was able to mitigate this using Memgraph. Using the pad heap feature my RP-0 went from a 2-3 second interval between garbage collections in flight to over 70 seconds. Much more playable.

13 hours ago, Hancer said:

Excatly. On the other hand, in order to advance, you need to accept lots if contracts beforehand to get funds in advance.

Maybe like xcom, you may get funding from the government each year in parallel with the successfully completed missions

I have not progressed far in RP0, but where I have been, I did not need lots of contracts, even with no revert and no quicksave and part failures and … suboptimal design and pilot errors. I do run simulations (not sandbox), and I had up to now no real cash problems, but then I am aware of what my tech can do and which contracts can make me money. Often that means combining missions.

A daily/ weekly/monthly/yearly/decadely stipend will not work with KSP - with XCOM you have aliens interrupting your plan to fast forward a century, swim in money and win the game easily. With KSP, you can and will fast forward with no treat problems at all.

if anything, RP0 should cost money monthly or weekly (upkeep, wages, etc) so you will have an incentive to actually go out and do something this decade.

Looking at real life, what happens when a state sponsored space agency does not perform as wanted and expected?  Do they get money for years twiddling their thumbs or are people fired and/or budgets slashed cruelly?

I can imagine a number of forced contacts with serious time limits, of which, say, 80% must be fulfilled or you get fired … but do you really want that extra layer of overhead for a stipend?  Wouldn't it be easier to get money from, say, fulfilling contacts?

4 hours ago, weissel said:

I have not progressed far in RP0, but where I have been, I did not need lots of contracts, even with no revert and no quicksave and part failures and … suboptimal design and pilot errors. I do run simulations (not sandbox), and I had up to now no real cash problems, but then I am aware of what my tech can do and which contracts can make me money. Often that means combining missions.

A daily/ weekly/monthly/yearly/decadely stipend will not work with KSP - with XCOM you have aliens interrupting your plan to fast forward a century, swim in money and win the game easily. With KSP, you can and will fast forward with no treat problems at all.

if anything, RP0 should cost money monthly or weekly (upkeep, wages, etc) so you will have an incentive to actually go out and do something this decade.

Looking at real life, what happens when a state sponsored space agency does not perform as wanted and expected?  Do they get money for years twiddling their thumbs or are people fired and/or budgets slashed cruelly?

I can imagine a number of forced contacts with serious time limits, of which, say, 80% must be fulfilled or you get fired … but do you really want that extra layer of overhead for a stipend?  Wouldn't it be easier to get money from, say, fulfilling contacts?

Yes. So much yes.

It seems so simple but it would add so much, just to detract some funds every week or so. Would make a lot of sense with Konstruction Time. Would really make that mod come alive.

5 hours ago, weissel said:

Just out of interest - are you on the recommended hard career mode? 

Other than that, yeah this is a part which would make ksp lean more towards a real space management program and add a new gameplay mechanic. I'd like it. Strategia offers something like that, but might be too focused for what there is right now in terms of contracts and what can be done in the game. 

Okay, everyone go grab Contract Configurator 1.19.0, as that fixes the problems with garbage generation:

• Fixed an incorrect boolean condition that was causing it to do an expensive check every frame for every contract instead of once per game.  This is the major source of 99% of the garbage that was being generated.  Huge thanks to @xEvilReeperx for pointing this one out.
  • Fixed the biggest area that was overusing LINQ to not generate any garbage

Between those two fixes, should be a much better RP-0 experience now.

11 hours ago, nightingale said:

Okay, everyone go grab Contract Configurator 1.19.0, as that fixes the problems with garbage generation:

• Fixed an incorrect boolean condition that was causing it to do an expensive check every frame for every contract instead of once per game.  This is the major source of 99% of the garbage that was being generated.  Huge thanks to @xEvilReeperx for pointing this one out.

Thank you for the update! I can confirm that the game doesn't stutter/lag anymore. 

13 hours ago, nightingale said:

Picked up the latest version of CC. My pauses have dropped from 1/2 second pause every 5 seconds to every 8 seconds. So, an improvement but not a fix. I'm sure there's more to it than just CC.