[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

I am having an odd issue with mt RP-0 Setup.  I have installed all dependent and most optional mods.  I used the last dev build of RP-0 and I am using the PhineasFreak/DocBin giyhub version of tree.cfg.  My issue occurs when I start a new career and the RP-0 Sounding Rocket Telemetry Unit, I get a window that pops up with Avionics - Warning Insufficient Avionics.  Supports 0.000t  Vessel: 0.000t.  Wen I attach a procedural tank and Aerobee engine I cannot get the rocket to launch.  I appears that any of the other units in the Pods menu the Avionics are OK it just does not work with the Sounding Rocket Telemetry Unit.  Is anyone else having this issue?  Any suggestion which mod does the Avionics check or which mod might cause the conflict? 

12 hours ago, venturaguy101 said:

I am having an odd issue with mt RP-0 Setup.  I have installed all dependent and most optional mods.  I used the last dev build of RP-0 and I am using the PhineasFreak/DocBin giyhub version of tree.cfg.  My issue occurs when I start a new career and the RP-0 Sounding Rocket Telemetry Unit, I get a window that pops up with Avionics - Warning Insufficient Avionics.  Supports 0.000t  Vessel: 0.000t.  Wen I attach a procedural tank and Aerobee engine I cannot get the rocket to launch.  I appears that any of the other units in the Pods menu the Avionics are OK it just does not work with the Sounding Rocket Telemetry Unit.  Is anyone else having this issue?  Any suggestion which mod does the Avionics check or which mod might cause the conflict? 

That's actually normal.  Avionics is required to steer, but not to stage and do experiments, etc.  The sounding rocket core can't steer.  You want to make fins tilted 5 deg or so to spin-stabilize.

That's actually normal.  Avionics is required to steer, but not to stage and do experiments, etc.  The sounding rocket core can't steer.  You want to make fins tilted 5 deg or so to spin-stabilize.

Well it actually was something else.  I could not launch even though I had a signal.  Even MechJeb was reading zero for all parameters.  The tank was filled so I was at a loss for why it did not work and thought that the avionics warning that was causing the issue.  I decided to delete all folders but the Squad folder and remove the Module Manager caches.  I reinstalled all mods and it is working now.  I have no idea what caused the issue at this point but at least I can finally launch my sounding rockets.  Thanks for the help.

@NathanKell Wow, I picked the perfect time to be getting back to KSP it looks like :)    That procedural avionics thing is something I was hoping for for ages, that's amazing!

Is everything ckan grabbable now?  I've been lightly following RO and RP0 the past few months and unwilling to dip my toes back in, been swamped with work,and saw threads of configs being tossed around and grabbed from github that made me shy away.

Also, is there any chance my 1.1.3 save will function?  Was midway into my 3M (manned mission to mercury) - I expect I'll just start a new playthrough in 1.2.2 anyway though.

Is it known/intentional that with the current engines, procedural tanks and procedural avionics, it's now almost possible to get into orbit without any research?  (I can reach 9000m/s dV, working on reaching 9400m/s dV later tonight.)

4 minutes ago, MatBailie said:

Is it known/intentional that with the current engines, procedural tanks and procedural avionics, it's now almost possible to get into orbit without any research?  (I can reach 9000m/s dV, working on reaching 9400m/s dV later tonight.)

Are you taking into account rated burn time or do you not have TestFlight installed? Screenshots?

Edited by regex

I recreated an Atlas-ish rocket, but it's a pain in the butt. The delta V readouts for the Booster/Sustainerstages (2 LR89,1 LR105) are not correct, because I drop the LR89 after 2 minutes.

So everytime I'm trying to modify the rocket with another upper stage I have to guess and run a couple of simulations to get it to orbit.

Is there a way to get the correct readings or do I have to make calculations by hand? TY!

2 hours ago, Vio said:

I recreated an Atlas-ish rocket, but it's a pain in the butt. The delta V readouts for the Booster/Sustainerstages (2 LR89,1 LR105) are not correct, because I drop the LR89 after 2 minutes.

So everytime I'm trying to modify the rocket with another upper stage I have to guess and run a couple of simulations to get it to orbit.

Is there a way to get the correct readings or do I have to make calculations by hand? TY!

You could reduce the fuel in the LR89 for a 2 minute burn time and add the weight of the removed fuel as ballast. Should be easy enough to swap them out via sub assemblies. 

Or calculate what percentage is shown but is not there due to you dropping the LR89 early. 

Or simply calculate what the highest load is your Atlas can get into LKO, ... and see the upper stage as part of the payload, if you need something better than LKO or a 250 km Ap @ 2500 m/s or whatever the benchmark for your rocket is. 

5 hours ago, regex said:

Are you taking into account rated burn time or do you not have TestFlight installed? Screenshots?

Craft File : http://sta.sh/021gjgzdhlom

• Need to pay to access RD-102, but everything is from the 1st node in the tech tree.

Best Orbit So Far : http://sta.sh/01gy7mlh8lh5 (584km x 13km)

• Move single engine from Stage2 to Stage4 (It's there to see the 50s burn time more clearly)
  • Max thrust, SAS and RCS enabled
  • Ignite Engines, 2s later release clamps and launch
  • At 120m/s pitch over to 60 degrees and hold there
  • When pro-grade aligns with direction of thrust, disable SAS and rely on aerodynamics to turn
  • Decouple RD-102 boosters when burned out (should now be around 45 degrees)
  • Disable Gimbal on A4 engine, and manually correct any instability (SAS sucks)
  • Decouple A4 when burned out, igniting first WAC-Corporal
  • Stage RCS if needed and tweak trajectory towards horizon
  • When WAC-Corporal burns out turn off RCS as soon as possible!
  • Wait until around 90s away from apoapsis
  • Use RCS to stabilise fuel and trajectory
  • Stage next 4 WAC-Corporals (burn time should be under 50s now)
  • Immediately start to use RCS to spin stabilise
  • Stage next WAC-Corporal when RCS and previous stage run out
  • Stage next WAC-Corporal when previous stage runs out

I'm sure that both the craft and the flight plan can be improved, either way you'd be in orbit...

5 minutes ago, MatBailie said:

I'm sure that both the craft and the flight plan can be improved, either way you'd be in orbit...

Ballsy. If only the Americans and Soviets had joined forces... Kudos on that.

Edited by regex

6 hours ago, MatBailie said:

So, with the example given in the posts above, is this correct / intended / known?

On 12.6.2017 at 7:08 PM, NathanKell said:

@Maxsimal Should be on CKAN by now, and yes 1.1.3 saves are compatible.

@NathanKell that was the info i was looking for. THX alot - i was wondering since you started your race into space career. I hope performance on my system is a bit better with 1.2.2, the stability already looks superb on your streams...

Thanks to all the contributers of RSS/RO/RP-0 for your time and effort.

Now i start planning a finally working (and landing capeable) Dynasoar and a crewed Moon landing in i think 1956 :)...

Edit:

loading RSS/RO/RP-0 1.2.2 for the first time - at last i can read all the witty loading hints :D

Edited by KroShan

On 13/06/2017 at 0:58 AM, regex said:

If only the Americans and Soviets had joined forces... 

… nobody would have gone to the moon. Too expensive, too risky, let probes do it, if at all. 

Only the need to out-macho each other made them go these lengths, money no objection …

4 minutes ago, mitko said:

Just updated to version 0.53, for some reason the Procedural  Avionics works only as booster, the other configuration don't show up.

Have you researched enough technology to unlock the other configurations? Only Booster is available from the start.

6 minutes ago, pap1723 said:

Have you researched enough technology to unlock the other configurations? Only Booster is available from the start.

Even in sandbox, with all part upgrades enabled, Procedural Avionics shows only the booster configuration.

4 hours ago, mitko said:

Even in sandbox, with all part upgrades enabled, Procedural Avionics shows only the booster configuration.

Ok, I think I may know the problem.  As per 0.52, procedural avionics required you to purchase other configs via its, GUI, but it looks like it only works if BypassEntryPurchaseAfterResearch is set to false in your difficulty options.  0.54 should support this being set to true, and i'll probably release that today. https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/issues/692

EDIT: I've released 0.54

Edited by rsparkyc

Not sure where to post this but it's the first time I'm playing Realism Overhaul and RP-0 and everything worked great so far, with one exception: my Kerbals immediately explode when they do an EVA.

It happens on land, on water and in space. According to the flight report they burned up from overheating. I've installed everything using CKAN. Does anyone have an idea which mod could cause that?