[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

Also, while Autochton is right, I believe that only OMNI antennas get a bonus from multiple antennas, while the directional dishes don't.

True. But the key point is that *all* antennas effective range is higher than the nominal range, and for the starting antennas, the difference is huge. Maybe the part description for the Comm16 should explicitly state that it will be good for lunar missions.

Maybe the part description for the Comm16 should explicitly state that it will be good for lunar missions.

That seems like the true solution here. Amend the antenna descriptions to ensure that ground station capabilities are taken into consideration, thus reducing player confusion.

Not sure what's causing this but I just noticed that the FASA Mercury pod's Skin Temp is very high just sitting on the pad. I'm basically using the "FASA Atlas Mercury" craft file that comes with FASA. Just moved it to the pad. Haven't started the engines or anything. It seems to start at 298 and quickly rises up to around 450 after about 2 minutes on the pad. But it continues to climb. By 90 minutes just sitting on the pad, the skin temp had already risen to nearly 510. I've only really been using the Mercury Pod so I don't know if it happens with the other command pod that I have available at this point.

In FASA, there is a special fairing designed specifically for the agena docking port. I can't seem to find that part, even as a "Non RP-0" part. Anyone have any idea which tech node it becomes available in or if it's even part of RP-0?

GigaG: RP-0 requires Ven's, and SXT. FASA is also somewhat supported. There also are a few KW and AIES engines placed.

chrisl: For you and anyone else reporting "high" temperatures. Turn on the thermal data display, and see what the temperature actually is. Do not trust the gauges and the skin highlighting, they have a major bug that I finally tracked down (they compare current skin temperature vs max internal temperature). That's not an issue in stock, but in RO we set pod internal max temperatures rather low, so a skin temperature of 500 (very possible during launch) is right at the max internal temperature and thus you get a red gauge...but the max skin temperature is 2000.

Hello, newbie here.

I got a problem with my first rocket. I followed this guide here for the first launch: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/Tutorial:-Getting-Started

I fire it up all fine, but as soon as i release the launch clamp the throttle is reset to 0. Any ideas?

EDIT:

Never mind, I solved this.

It turns out I didn't get RSS when I pulled all the mods from CKAN.

That fixed it!

Really liking this mod so far, I've been in awe of RO before, but I've longed for a career take on it :)

Edited by Colon3l_Panic

chrisl: For you and anyone else reporting "high" temperatures. Turn on the thermal data display, and see what the temperature actually is. Do not trust the gauges and the skin highlighting, they have a major bug that I finally tracked down (they compare current skin temperature vs max internal temperature). That's not an issue in stock, but in RO we set pod internal max temperatures rather low, so a skin temperature of 500 (very possible during launch) is right at the max internal temperature and thus you get a red gauge...but the max skin temperature is 2000.

The numbers I gave were using the thermal data display. And while I wouldn't have an issue with a pod reaching 500 during take off, this was still sitting on the pad waiting for me to ignite the main engine. And while I get that the sun will increase temperatures, 500 seems awfully high for a pod sitting on the ground.

Okay, I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I can't find it through searches of the RP-0 Wiki -

I have installed all the mods required and most of the optional ones via CKAN WITHOUT RSS. I've tried multiple new careers and every time I get the same issue if I use RP-0 and RO - I can't do science and there's no connection or selection of launch sites. The map looks like Kerbin, I'm at KSC, but there's no ground station and whenever I take the probe report and try to transmit it, it says there's no transmitter on the vehicle even though I have 3 different antenna on the vehicle (the Bonanza fuselage with gear). Whenever I mouse over any of the science experiments I am unable to run the experiment and get science, and no matter what I try, I can't generate any science for any reason.

I'm lost at this point. I've been using KSP for quite a while now and I'm pretty good with dealing with mods, but this one's got me flummoxed.

I'm using multiple guidance units so I can have a small satellite on top of a large rocket, but when I stage the lowest guidance unit off, it often fails to give me control of the remainder of the rocket even though there's plenty of avionics on it. Sometimes control is intermittent. RemoteTech says I have a connection, map view shows I'm in range of three ground stations, but I have no control.

There appears to be a problem with the pricing for the "UA1205 SRM". The SRM itself is set at 5,320 which is reasonable for RO/RP-0. But when you fuel it, the price becomes 178,330 which is pretty outrageous. One of these SRMs is effectively 5 times more expensive than the most expensive rocket and payload that I've launched to date. The problem is obviously with the cost of the fuel. This SRM uses PBAN which has a unit cost of 1.593 compared with PSPC which has a unit cost of only 0.01 and appears to be the "standard" fuel used in most of the RP-0 setup SRMs.

Are you saying that you try to run RO/RP-0 without RSS? - I don't think that is possible.

Okay, I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I can't find it through searches of the RP-0 Wiki -

I have installed all the mods required and most of the optional ones via CKAN WITHOUT RSS. I've tried multiple new careers and every time I get the same issue if I use RP-0 and RO - I can't do science and there's no connection or selection of launch sites. The map looks like Kerbin, I'm at KSC, but there's no ground station and whenever I take the probe report and try to transmit it, it says there's no transmitter on the vehicle even though I have 3 different antenna on the vehicle (the Bonanza fuselage with gear). Whenever I mouse over any of the science experiments I am unable to run the experiment and get science, and no matter what I try, I can't generate any science for any reason.

I'm lost at this point. I've been using KSP for quite a while now and I'm pretty good with dealing with mods, but this one's got me flummoxed.

chrisl: Then I'm not sure what's causing that, since I don't experience it myself.

CAPFlyer: I know that, in the current version of RP-0, contracts expect your homeworld to be named Earth (this is fixed in git, but we can't really fix the rest of the body-name-dependent contracts). Not sure why that would break RT or science, though. Sounds like something in RT itself is breaking?

Borogove: Can you upload a craft file?

CAPFlyer: I know that, in the current version of RP-0, contracts expect your homeworld to be named Earth (this is fixed in git, but we can't really fix the rest of the body-name-dependent contracts). Not sure why that would break RT or science, though. Sounds like something in RT itself is breaking?

It's all connected. If RP-0 is expecting "Earth", when you use the RT/RO/RP-0 config, it breaks RT because it's not looking for Kerbal Space Center as a ground station resulting in a broken connection.

Also, if RSS is required, you guys need to make that clear on the first page of the threads and change the CKAN dependencies. I'm not ready to step into RSS yet (haven't really explored the Kerbol system enough yet! :) ), so it'd be nice to be able to use RO/RP-0 without it, but since I can't, I'll just remove them for now.

NathanKell: What all is needed to add a part pack into RP-0? I really like Raidernick's US Probes pack and although I tried using the soviet probes the US probes feel so much closer to home and appropriate for someone living in the US. I used the probes in a short career with RSS/RO without RP-0 and they felt to be extremely well balanced with RSS/RO and think they just need tech tree placement. I also loved the usage of the SRM's and Retrorockets used that are true to life. I feel like the SXT/Vens probe parts are a bit limiting because their size is so much larger/heavier than probes launched in the early space career (Explorer-1 being an exception here). Not sure how much work needs to be done for avionics for probes like these.

CAPFlyer: I will try to make RO only apply its groundstations if RSS is installed. As for RP-0, do you have any idea how to handle lunar contracts, and outer planet contracts, in non-RSS settings? RP-0 *should* be available for people who play, say, 10x Kerbol or 64K, but those other-planet contracts exist by name, we can't just say use Homeworld.

Trolllception: It involves adding a line to tree.yml for each part, with the correctly reserached (or, if not possible, guesstimated) cost and R&D cost (entryCost). See this post for more details, although if you're used to github use what you know to make a PR to update tree.yml. :)

There's room in Early Avionics, Basic Avionics, Stability-Early Probes, and Improved Instrumentation for everything through 1963 or so...

I've got a question about the mass values used for the Agena components and fuels. Most of the sources I can find put the fueled/unfueled mass of the Agena D at something like 6800/675kg. But the fueled/unfueled mass of the Agena we have is over 8400/1090kg. That's the Agena D made from the "Agena-D Bus/Guidance Unit", "Agena-D Antenna", Agena-D Fuel Tank", "Agena-D Flight Pack", and "Agena 80xx Vacuum Engine". That's an extra 400kg of equipment and around 1200kg of extra fuel mass. Are there other sources you all used to get the component and fuel masses that make this heavier Agena correct? I'm wondering mainly because I'm at a stage in my career game where 1.6t of extra weight is a pretty serious thing.

There's room in Early Avionics, Basic Avionics, Stability-Early Probes, and Improved Instrumentation for everything through 1963 or so...

Excellent. I was looking at the Techtree.yml earlier and it doesn't look too bad at all. I am also familiar with github and will submit a pull request once I have something. Are probes after 1963 supported as well or does realism overhaul stop at a certain date? Should I not bother placing probes from after 1963, or is there simply no logical place in RP-0 for them yet? I also expect to place the retrorockets/solid fuel boosters for probes and was planning on putting them in the same node that the probe unlocks in since they go hand in hand. The exception may be some of the PAM boosters included with the US probes.

Edited by Trolllception

Hello there rocketeer friends.

A question: I've launched myself in the wonderful world of realistic space exploration, but I think my tech tree is fugged up (e. g. the conical crew pod and the other Xplane parts are nowhere to be seen). I've installed the lot through CKAN with the suggested and recommended mod, any idea on what I should do?

Are there any intentions of adding some of the ATK/Thiokol Star xx solid rocket motors? I see there is already the little Star 17 and we have several variants of the Castor motors. But most of the SRBs that are currently available are the strap-on booster type. There are only a few "kick motors" available and most of those are very early versions. I'd just use the Procedural SRB but it doesn't give enough control to properly recreate historical solid rocket motors.

Trolllception: Ah, excellent! :)

RP-0's tech tree technically goes into the near future, we just haven't worked over many nodes past the mid 1960s. Indeed CTTChanges.cfg doesn't patch probe nodes beyond, um, whatever the probe node that Improved Insturmentation leads to (Miniaturization?). Feel free to patch them too then! :) (CTTChanges.cfg is organized by tier, and you can see that for most tiers I've patched and/or added nodes for PF and open cycle engines [rocketry], Hydrlox, and Staged, as well as sometimes more.)

borisperrons: You installed RP-0 through CKAN? Verify that you have an RP-0 folder in your GameData folder, and that inside that RP-0 folder you have a file Tree.cfg.

chrisl: I'll look that up tonight. I know part of the problem was that Astronatuix reported the dry mass of GATV as that of Agena D...

And yes, Ravenchant (IIRC) was adding support for the ATK pack.