Jump to content

[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12


pjf
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 06/07/2016 at 7:42 AM, MatBailie said:

The following RO-Recommended Mods didn't install as they're not showing as 1.1.3 compatible, although the RP-0 instructions say that I need to install them:

Different places say contradicting things about different mods, so I thought I'd ask explicity for RP-0 :wink:

  • Should I install these; they're required and the lack of updates is no problem
  • Should I avoid these; they're not up to date and can cause more issues than benefits?

Looks like TestFlight and TextureReplacer are now installing through CKAN.

Still wondering about the other three though.

Should I avoid these because they're not 1.1.3 compatible (and possibly no longer RP-0 compatible)?

Or should I manually download them and install them to get correct RP-0 behaviour?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anybody else experience FAR getting pretty borked when using (some) SSTU parts in RO/RP0 etc?

I've noticed that FAR analysis goes wonky if one changes the lox/hydrolox tanks length - especially with the shroud engine mounts.   Sometimes changing engine mounts and and tank lengths brings correct(ish) analysis and voxels back.  But Other tanks just don't seem to be detected at all though, such as the soyuz style addons.

Also, even if the analysis and voxels show up in the hanger, on flights FAR often ceases to show mach / dynamic pressure status etc if SSTU tanks are in use.


Also on a RP0 note:

- SSTU decouplers (the basic one without separation solids) are outrageously more expensive than normal proc ones - seems to be like 6-8 times as much for the same function / size..   Guess you pay a premium for the nicer looks :(.

- Empty Service bays are also very very pricey.  Aside from sometimes putting some science stuff in them on probes, i use them often to hide the unmanned avionics since I find being forced to a specific diameter for each avionics unit rather annoying...  But the empty service bay ends up costing like 3-4x as much as the command pod its barely hiding.



Other sug:

- I know on git or w/e there was some discussion about moving away from mass limits on avionics (personally I don't mind it and infinitely prefer that over something even more arbitrary such as part count - since i often use extra proc parts to make ships look nicer / less crude etc).   But what about (if its even possible) limiting the # of science experiments or w/e that can be carried by any individual avionics unit (cumulative like mass).  This also pushes towards probes with different experiments on them instead of one probe to rule them all.

- Also, early game doing something like MRBM/IRBM/ICBM contracts.  (Alas, on hard at least the early the grind to get past 40 ton limit + orbit maneuvers gets a bit monotonous).   Obv not with explosives but dummy warheads more like.  So something along lines of development of Redstone/Thor/Atlas etc :
     - Reach apo of X
     - prior to impact at a given alt check have X amount of lead ballast (dummy warhead payload) 
     - Horizontal dist from launch of Z.

Edited by Relic13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a possibility, that the manned contracts aren't accepted automatically? I find it a bit annonying, that you start your career with five allready accepted contracts for manned missions, some of which are only fullfillable after quite some progress. I'd prefer to accept every contract myself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What mod does 'Starshine Merlin engines' refer to? The forum search doesn't return any thread but this.

Has the issue with contracts not being extended to match KCT and RSS mission times been addressed?

Edited by Requia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Requia said:

What mod does 'Starshine Merlin engines' refer to? The forum search doesn't return any thread but this

 It's much better to use google if you want to find something on this forum. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2016 at 0:54 AM, winged said:

@MatBailie you can play without them, btw. Hangar extender works fine in 1.1.3

another issue: Shared Upgrade Pool option in KCT doesn't work, currently I need to upgrade every launch pad separately in every location.  

I have this issue also on my second install, both installs are clean with only required mods.

Very interesting, Hangar extender doesn't work at all for me in 1.1.3, while KCT's Shared Upgrade Pool works perfectly fine for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question...wonderong what end game in RP-0 looks like. How far do the contracts take you? Anyone land and return people to Mars? If not, anyone at least able to do manned flyby or orbit and return to mars or venus? Is it possible to do much more than that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, the_Demongod said:

Very interesting, Hangar extender doesn't work at all for me in 1.1.3, while KCT's Shared Upgrade Pool works perfectly fine for me. 

sorry, I was wrong, KCT actually works fine, Hangar extender too, at least for me.

Edited by winged
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If something is supported by RO (and historically accurate) like Near Future's nuke reactors but not by RP-0 what will that cause?  Is it simply a game imbalance or something worse?  I wanted to craft my RP-0 game to follow the default setup perfectly but I like Near Future engines and they seem to be supported but not the reactors (which are very much needed for the plasma engines).

Edited by autumnalequinox
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, autumnalequinox said:

If something is supported by RO (and historically accurate) like Near Future's nuke reactors but not by RP-0 what will that cause?  Is it simply a game imbalance or something worse?  I wanted to craft my RP-0 game to follow the default setup perfectly but I like Near Future engines and they seem to be supported but not the reactors (which are very much needed for the plasma engines).

Performance will be realistic because of RO, but parts may appear in an unreasonable tech node or have unreasonable costs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello!

Sometimes when I transmit larger chunks of science (e.g EVA report from space using just the Mk 1 capsule antenna) when the transmission completes and shows "Done!", the science just gets lost, like nothing was transmitted. Is that a feature or a bug? I will provide a full report if it's a bug, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, undercoveryankee said:

Performance will be realistic because of RO, but parts may appear in an unreasonable tech node or have unreasonable costs.

Ahh ok.  Thanks.  So I could just adjust the costs/and or node placement myself.  Good to know.  (so far loving this mod, so challenging, jumped for joy when my first sounding rocket hit 50k meters).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2016 at 7:26 AM, EliasDanger said:

Question...wonderong what end game in RP-0 looks like. How far do the contracts take you? Anyone land and return people to Mars? If not, anyone at least able to do manned flyby or orbit and return to mars or venus? Is it possible to do much more than that?

After completing 'manned lunar landing', 'first space station' and probe landings on Mars and Venus, I'm now sitting on '90 days in space', '10 people in a ship', and regular lunar exploration contracts. There's nothing about automated returns from other planets or manned flybys, though maybe you have to crack 'N days in space' first. 

Actually, automated returns (and automated sample returns) is what i miss the most as the stepping stone to manned missions. There were none for the Moon either, iirc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2016 at 10:26 PM, EliasDanger said:

Question...wonderong what end game in RP-0 looks like. How far do the contracts take you? Anyone land and return people to Mars? If not, anyone at least able to do manned flyby or orbit and return to mars or venus? Is it possible to do much more than that?

I'm just gearing up to first manned Moon landing in my current RP-0 save but I took a peek inside the contracts folder to see what might be available later:

Spoiler
  • After the first lunar landing milestone there is a repeat contract for landing at different biomes for a certain amount of time.
  • Manned flyby milestone contracts for Mars and Venus that trigger after the first repeat lunar landing is completed.
  • A Mars manned landing contract - requires completing contracts for unmanned Mars & Venus landings; unmanned Jupiter, Saturn and Mercury fly-bys; and at least one manned lunar landing repeat

There's also a pull request on RP-0 GitHub for additional Lunar base and station contracts so they may be added to a release in the near future.

7 hours ago, nanomage said:

After completing 'manned lunar landing', 'first space station' and probe landings on Mars and Venus, I'm now sitting on '90 days in space', '10 people in a ship', and regular lunar exploration contracts. There's nothing about automated returns from other planets or manned flybys, though maybe you have to crack 'N days in space' first. 

Actually, automated returns (and automated sample returns) is what i miss the most as the stepping stone to manned missions. There were none for the Moon either, iirc.

I like the idea on sample return missions. Could be either just return safely from X or maybe include requirement for bio sample or film return camera experiment results as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello there,

just a quick question: What is the start date of RP-0? I mean the technology suggests late 1940s early 50s, but it should be possible to determine der correct date from the planetary constellation, or is that just a random one generated by the Kerbol --> Sol replacement.

Is it possible to switch to a proper Time and Date format, e.g. 1950-01-01 or 1.January 1950?

If I would have to write such a mod myself, I would be happy to hear suggestions how to do that. Feasible as a first mod?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Nobody6 said:

Hello there,

just a quick question: What is the start date of RP-0? I mean the technology suggests late 1940s early 50s, but it should be possible to determine der correct date from the planetary constellation, or is that just a random one generated by the Kerbol --> Sol replacement.

Is it possible to switch to a proper Time and Date format, e.g. 1950-01-01 or 1.January 1950?

If I would have to write such a mod myself, I would be happy to hear suggestions how to do that. Feasible as a first mod?

Starting date is 1951-01-01. RSS configures planets and moons for that initial epoch.

The mod RSS Datetime Formatter will modify date displays in game to correct format.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, leudaimon said:

@MarvinCZ This is a bug that has been around for a long time (always I think). It has been reported here before but afaik there is no solution to it yet. It's likely to be an issue with RemoteTech, so it may be worth it to report it there.

Thank you. I'll see if I get anything worthwhile to report about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay I need some inspiration/ideas.  I'm really digging my RP-0 game right now, it's extremely challenging and very well put-together (like I would love to see RO/Rp-0 released as a full ksp expansion and I would totally buy it).

So I'm playing with all the supported mod packs as well as a few RO/but not Rp-0 packs that I am working out prices/nodes for.  Basically this means I'm playing historical NASA at the KSC but have access to both Russian astronauts and hardware.  My historical brain needs a good reason for this.  I don't want to limit myself, because I want to create crazy mix/match hybrids using the best of all nations.  I'm not into exact replicas of historical hardware.  If a Russian engine and a U.S. probe work best, I'm going to use that.  Oh and I know this kind of limited cooperation happens now, but I need a reason for it to happen in the 1950s-60s

So what I need is a hook:  A good alt-history reason why I have access to all this stuff.  I've thought about an early cooling down of the Cold War (maybe an early death of Stalin or some such) that creates earlier cooperation between the primaries of the Space Race.  Or perhaps a UN Space Exploration body that combines the best from all nations.  Something semi-plausible but not crazy.  

If anybody has a good idea let me know.  I'm not adverse to starting a new game and maybe getting KSCSwitcher and picking a more International launch site and create some kind of unified space program.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, autumnalequinox said:

Okay I need some inspiration/ideas.  I'm really digging my RP-0 game right now, it's extremely challenging and very well put-together (like I would love to see RO/Rp-0 released as a full ksp expansion and I would totally buy it).

So I'm playing with all the supported mod packs as well as a few RO/but not Rp-0 packs that I am working out prices/nodes for.  Basically this means I'm playing historical NASA at the KSC but have access to both Russian astronauts and hardware.  My historical brain needs a good reason for this.  I don't want to limit myself, because I want to create crazy mix/match hybrids using the best of all nations.  I'm not into exact replicas of historical hardware.  If a Russian engine and a U.S. probe work best, I'm going to use that.  Oh and I know this kind of limited cooperation happens now, but I need a reason for it to happen in the 1950s-60s

So what I need is a hook:  A good alt-history reason why I have access to all this stuff.  I've thought about an early cooling down of the Cold War (maybe an early death of Stalin or some such) that creates earlier cooperation between the primaries of the Space Race.  Or perhaps a UN Space Exploration body that combines the best from all nations.  Something semi-plausible but not crazy.  

If anybody has a good idea let me know.  I'm not adverse to starting a new game and maybe getting KSCSwitcher and picking a more International launch site and create some kind of unified space program.  

Check out Felbourn's latest series, he goes to great lengths to explain why tiny kerbals are flying crafts 60% too large. 

I'm in the planning phases of a new game too, might fast forward a bit and start in the start In the near future to work around this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...