0.90 Career has entered a state where menu/building options are not responsive

Got the same issue in my 0.9 career game and managed to repair my persistence file. The lines in the log that tipped me off were

[EXC 11:20:23.798] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Contracts.Templates.RescueKerbal.OnSave (.ConfigNode node)
Contracts.Contract.Save (.ConfigNode node)
Contracts.ContractSystem.OnSave (.ConfigNode gameNode)

Over and over, I assume for every frantic click. The fix was to remove this section from persistent.sfs:

CONTRACT_FINISHED
{
guid = 4f7b2cd2-65b1-4853-8539-c0969ab9f5a0
type = RescueKerbal
prestige = 1
seed = 527793544
state = Completed
agent = Kerbodyne
deadlineType = Floating
expiryType = Floating
values = 21600,46008000,7500,30000,7500,0,15,50,23953.3750823963,9081.68962682668,46017081.6896268,35595.1529716382
body = 1
kerbalName = Elming Kerman
PARAM
{
name = BoardAnyVessel
id = Board
enabled = False
state = Complete
values = 0,0,0,0,0
title = Get Elming Kerman aboard a vessel
failOn = Any
winOn = All
}
PARAM
{
name = RecoverKerbal
id = Recover
enabled = False
state = Complete
values = 0,0,0,0,0
title = Return Home and Recover Elming Kerman
failOn = All
winOn = All
}
}

Which was the contract for rescuing a kerbal that I subsequently fired. I assumed that with the limited slots available, that would be a requirement for getting more rescue contracts.

Ahh, this is good. Someone mentioned a problem with contracts earlier but I haven't been able to look yet. In this case, my fix would also work because if you fire him he will still be tracked. So this particular contract should be okay. However, that raises the question of what happens when the contract is cancelled or failed.

Thanks!

~Claw

Thank you very much to everyone for looking into it! I completely forgot that I had rescued a Kerbal and then fired him to make room. My guess is this is precisely what the issue is. I will try to fix it later when I am back at my computer.

Please be aware that my fix will not retroactively fix a broken save. You'll have to manually fix it (either by deleting the contract reference entry from your save or by manually adding the kerbal to your save). After that, my fix should work for firing active, live kerbals. I still need to look into a way of handling the firing of dead kerbals.

But it sounds like you'll be able to fix your save! :D

Cheers,

~Claw

Please be aware that my fix will not retroactively fix a broken save. You'll have to manually fix it (either by deleting the contract reference entry from your save or by manually adding the kerbal to your save). After that, my fix should work for firing active, live kerbals. I still need to look into a way of handling the firing of dead kerbals.

But it sounds like you'll be able to fix your save! :D

Cheers,

~Claw

I edited the persistence.sfs save file by removing the completed rescue Kerbal contract and that appears to have fixed! I haven't installed your fix yet, because I like to keep the install as clean as possible in order to report any bugs. However I may try it out until the bug (I think it's a bug) is addressed in an official update.

I haven't installed your fix yet, because I like to keep the install as clean as possible in order to report any bugs.

It's all good. Use it if it's useful, skip it if not. You can also be selective about who you fire, or just manually fire them in your save by changing their type to "type = Unowned" and bump their ToD out to "ToD = Infinity"

Cheers,

~Claw

• 2 months later...

Hello, I think im having the same problem; after i click on my astronaut complex to hire someone, and click back to the entire view of the entire complex, i can no longer click on any building or exit the game. Even when i dont click on anything in the hiring building. I can get by somewhat by not hiring anyone new or clicking on that building, but it appears some other actions activate the glitch to.. Its weird because to my knowledge i have not fired any kerbal and only lost 2 earlier on in the game. I have failed a or canceled a handful of missions?

I saw in one of the posts a possible way to fix your save but it really went over my head once you got to all the code and bringing up your notepad to copy and save changes to said code. Is there any easier way to fix this or at least the process in laymen terms for a noob? I would hate to have all 500 some hours on my save and all tech unlocked and all my space stations to just have to start over... never had an issue this big till .9

No mods completely stock (i dont even know how to install them)

Running 64bit Windows 8.0

Hello, I think im having the same problem.

Sounds like you do have the same problem, and I will point you to this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105651-KSC-Buildings-Lock-Up-Can-t-Click-on-Anything-Firing-Kerbal-Crashes-Game

The instructions are step by step, but if it isn't making sense to you then please feel free to post your save file and we can have a look. I am going to close this thread (so there aren't two of the same topic bubbling up and causing confusion). If you want to post your save file or if you have more questions, please use the thread I just linked.

Cheers,

~Claw