I, er, found an unwinnable situation

1) Start a new career mode game with 0 funds and 10% funding rewards.

2) Take the two lowest paying contracts (launch a craft and reach 5000 m).

3) Notice how you can't actually afford a control or science collection system (that is, the Mk1 pod). You also can't fail any the 4 starting contracts, dismiss them, or let them expire.

Fortunately, this is something of a corner case, and playing on 10% of any rewards means you were messing with settings and should know what you're doing. Also, this happens very early on, so it's not like losing 30 s of setup is a big deal.

I don't know if funds have been rebalanced, but I started on 10% and it does seem a bit more tight than usual.

I don't really see too much of a problem with having a fail state, especially if you're being masochistic with the difficulty settings.

Fail states are fine. This is unwinnable (if more by insanity than mistake), so if possible it would be nice for the game to alert you.

Yeh, I just read through again. To be honest, I has started on 10k funds. The game should probably have either a few thousand starting funds as a minimum, or introduce a loan shark.

Yeh, I just read through again. To be honest, I has started on 10k funds. The game should probably have either a few thousand starting funds as a minimum, or introduce a loan shark.

Or, you know, get your kerbals to do something else other than just sitting around chilling in the astronaut center on our dime. Maybe some normal, low paying, but stable jobs? Pilots can fly commercial planes and stuff, engineer can do field works, and scientist can, well, do sciency things. Maybe?

A quick hack would be to up the advance on the altitude and/or starting contracts, though I'm unsure if that's the best way.

[table=width: 500", class: grid]

[tr]

[td]Funds[/td]

[td]Parts[/td]

[td]Mission (including a safe return)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]1099[/td]

[td]Mk16 chute, Mk1 pod without monoprop, 10% fueled RT-10[/td]

[td]Get off the ground (maybe 500 m)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]1335[/td]

[td]As before but fully fueled.[/td]

[td]~20-25 km. Maybe more with careful thrust limiter setting. (5 km would be doable with 1/3 fuel, maybe less)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]1660[/td]

[td]A second RT-10 is included.[/td]

[td]>70 km (space)[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Once you're able to complete any of the initial 4 missions, randomly generated ones start showing up, so you get somewhat more options.

Edited by UmbralRaptor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.