Career Mode - orbiting Kerbin ship design

Hello all,

I'm in career mode (.90 beta btw) and got a the starting landing pad, if you call that a landing pad (18t max mass on it). This means that the design is pretty limited. Did anyone made an orbiting rocket cause I tried a couple of design but I never attain orbit. If I do, its not high enough (above 70k) and I don't have enough fuel to get back so I'm stuck in space lol.

The most successful and it still failed was this design :

Any help would be appreciated

Edited by bigbangnet

I constructed the design you posted here, and with an efficient ascent, I was able to get into a 75x75km orbit with roughly 20 units of of fuel left for de-orbit. By doubling the amount of fuel in each stage (Total mass of the craft was 16.25t), I was able to achieve 75x75km orbit with over 100 units of fuel remaining (enough to orbit the moon and come back). So, it is definitely possible to launch orbital vessels. Thing big thing I stress here is efficiency. You'll need to use a gravity turn, manage your TWR on ascent, and make use of the oberth effect. If you look around, there should be plenty of great tutorials (better than anything I could do). =)

Did it on the start node: parachute, command pod, antenna, 10x FL-T200 fuel tanks, LV-T30 engine, and an RT-10 beneath all that. It did take advantage of explosive decoupling: when the RT-10 was almost out of fuel, I kicked on the LV-T30, causing the RT-10 to overheat and explode. It should be possible to do it with normal decoupling as well if you've unlocked basic rocketry.

Didn't quite have the juice to make a Mun flyby, sadly. I used to be able to do that, before Squad implemented launch pad limits, but the best I could do with just one RT-10 was about a 2,000 x 75 km orbit.

Yes, I'm easily able to make kerballed rockets under 18t. I use a Rockomax BACC as the first stage, and a lv-t45 2nd stage, with a tiny lv-909 stage that inserts and stabilizes the orbits and reentry. I even have enough weight to spare to add goo, and an octo command pod for non pilots.

what I haven't been able to do is make a Mun flyby or landing under 18t - under 30 parts easy, but not under 18t.

Did it on the start node: parachute, command pod, antenna, 10x FL-T200 fuel tanks, LV-T30 engine, and an RT-10 beneath all that. It did take advantage of explosive decoupling: when the RT-10 was almost out of fuel, I kicked on the LV-T30, causing the RT-10 to overheat and explode. It should be possible to do it with normal decoupling as well if you've unlocked basic rocketry.

Didn't quite have the juice to make a Mun flyby, sadly. I used to be able to do that, before Squad implemented launch pad limits, but the best I could do with just one RT-10 was about a 2,000 x 75 km orbit.

Same here, without the SRB.

In the process upgraded mission control, the astronaut complex and launchpad and got enough science to get the OX-STAT solar panel (which means I can now put permanent satellites up).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.