I'm glad we are in beta but...

A while back they showed us drills (drill animation) a hole resource thing, and clouds. I do not know about you but I was looking forward to these things, so when I saw beta was out I immediately thought to myself "OH MY GOD KERBAL SUPPORTED KETHAIN". you can imagine my disappointment when I started it up. What happened to this, when I last saw it, it looked almost done with resource maps for every planet and a whole resource tree. Also there was mention of multiplayer but don't hold me to that. What happed to this, am I just going to have to mod? I am happy where ksp is but it just feels ... incomplete, it can do so much more.

here is the old tree

http://i.imgur.com/m7CTGtN.jpg

Edited by Fried

They're still planning to do some sort of deep space refueling now that we're in beta, but it's not quite clear on what exactly they have planned for it. But they did say that they weren't planning on adding any new "resources," so to speak. So, probably just ways to mine liquid fuel and oxidizer or something. Clouds should also be coming some time during beta, but don't take my word for it.

Multiplayer is actually being planned for after full release, if I recall, but they've started testing things for multiplayer starting since a few versions ago.

They're still planning to do some sort of deep space refueling now that we're in beta, but it's not quite clear on what exactly they have planned for it. But they did say that they weren't planning on adding any new "resources," so to speak. So, probably just ways to mine liquid fuel and oxidizer or something. Clouds should also be coming some time during beta, but don't take my word for it.

Multiplayer is actually being planned for after full release, if I recall, but they've started testing things for multiplayer starting since a few versions ago.

so... you are telling me... there is a chance :D

Fried, that is very old information. It was a proposal which they decided not to pursue. That system will not be in the game.

Sad days will any system similar to this be added?

They said that it turned out not being as fun as they thought it would.

Yeah, it was way too complicated. I'm hoping for a stock Kethane lookalike. (READ: Something simple but modular, not just incorporating the Kethane mod. I'd really be fine with any kind of refueling system (Not just pay and POOF fuel, actual mining or something) as long as they don't butcher it somehow.

I'm not glad we're in beta. I still want to see so many more features implemented first!

just because the game status has changed doesn't mean that the days of new features is over, it just means that the last of the full deck of minimum core aspects of the game that felipe wanted to implement have arrived. the update focus will probably change a bit but there's no reason Squad won't decide to add more major features down the line, if it fits their vision for the game.

I don't care for off world mining in this game. I'm sure in real space flight situations, humans may learn to mine and exploit natural resources for rocket fuel. But I don't care for it in KSP. From a video game perspective, I think it would make KSP too easy, if you could just go anywhere and mine resources you wouldn't have to build any cool, initiative interstellar ships.

I want new planets!! I'm still very disappointed that we are missing Saturn and it's amazing moons including "Titan". These two worlds would be so awesome in KSP. Also a Uranus and Neptune analog. I want more places to explore in this game in the worst way.

I'm glad we are in beta but... its not in a state of a beta game... its still far pre alpha. and it will stay as it is...

What are you talking about? Have you seen the progress the game has made in the past four years?

Even ignoring that: especially for sandbox mode, the game still feels like a whole game and not an alpha, like you said. Career mode? Still beta, but beta than ever!

What are you talking about? Have you seen the progress the game has made in the past four years?

Even ignoring that: especially for sandbox mode, the game still feels like a whole game and not an alpha, like you said. Career mode? Still beta, but beta than ever!

i've seen that there was no any real improvement since... at least in the past 2 years...

Do you have any facts to back that statement up or are you just all troll?

what i wrote is a fact on its own... since that the game got some MODS what are not their works, go 3 parts i could do an afternoon to collect text in a table called science. tell me if i missed something.

Not to divert the conversation too much but those of you who are saying you would like a Kethane-like resource, have you ever played with Karbonite? It is infinitely better than Kethane, IMO.

I personally don't think they should add resource gathering like this because there is really no point. The mod is already out there and it is quite good.

Karbonite/ScanSat/Orbital Science all work really well together and add value, to me, for the game. I can place all kinds of scientific instruments on my vessels which makes my missions feel more purposeful.

I like the idea of resource gathering because it adds a new challenge to the game, though I can see why some dislike it.

any word as to why they abandoned this, it look about half way complete and really cool.

They started listening to the billies, who were whining about how it was too complex for them.

We got uhh... career mode and buildings to blow up. Progress! This game is still missing a lot. Thank god they made it moddable. IMO the base game without mods is quite awful.

If you think that's bad, you should try the mods without the base game.

Wait, what? For me, the base game provides a system in which to add parts and features to, I feel that it lacks, many, many features that can be supplied with mods. There would be no mods without the base game. But you're right! I sure do love looking at part .cfgs and blender models all day!

As interesting and fun that diagram looks, I don't think it could lead to an accessible (marketable) game.

It seems to me that there is a group of players not really willing to do a career start because it is too grindy for their taste.

Implementing a resource system like this will lead to more, much more repetitive tasks.

I don't think that is what most KSP players are looking for...

I've played for about 400 hours in the last year and a half, all pure stock, no mods. And I loved every minute of it.

It is mostly a sandbox, and I think it will always be exactly that.

IMO the base game without mods is great fun already.

Probably not as good as it could be, but close, and possibly getting there. (misses a few things for me : purpose for base building, aerodynamics, life support & some re-entry simulation)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.