[1.2.2] Netherdyne Mass Driver Mod- Version 1.3.2 is now LIVE!

Northstar1989

So... I was watching a mod spotlight of this mod that Kottobos did recently and discovered some issues that I'd like to address at this time.  I took a dive into the source code and added something that I think would benefit the end user.  This is related to the information about each size of part in this mod from the editor.  Right now there's not a lot of information provided outside of a giant wall of text in the description.  This can be displayed in a better way in similar fashion to the fuel tank amounts that are shown in the part info panel.  After going through the code and making some adjustments, I came up with this little bit that you can add to the top of the "ModuleMassAccelerator" class just above the "armNetwork" method:

public override string GetInfo()
{
	// Adds a part info entry to the part details.
	string result;
	result = string.Format("Mass Accelerator Module.\n{0} {1} used for every 100kn/second.\nLoading Distance: {2}m.\n", resourceAmount, resourceName, loadDistance);
	result += master ? "Control Unit" : "Extender Unit";
	return result;
}

This will enable the said display and stick that formatted information into it, I believe.  It's been some time since I compiled a plugin for KSP but, as this worked back when I was working on Kerbal Foundries, so it should be fine now.  It should also be noted that this technique works for any module added to a part config, and the string can even be put into a "KSPField" and returned in the above method so that extra descriptions cna be defined inside the part.cfg under the module in question.

Note: the line with the "string.Format()" in it should all be on one line, and should paste into the code properly if copied as one line.  In case it doesn't, I would suggest altering it to be on one line again.  Most IDEs will likely be able to figure out what you're trying to do either way, but better to be safe.

Anyway, that's my little contribution to the future of this mod.  Take it or leave it.  I think the end user will thank you for adding it though.

Edit: Another thing I noticed in the display of the context menu (right click when in flight) is that the unit of measurement is displayed right on top of the number without any spacing.  This is because the units display in KSP assumes it's displaying an abbreviation of the unit.  I would suggest changing it to this:

[KSPField(isPersistant = false, guiActive = true, guiName = "Accelerator force", guiUnits = "kn")]
public float acceleratorDisplayForce; //in kilonewtons

This will display it as, for example, "1107kn" instead of "1107KiloNewtons" or some such thing.  Much cleaner.

One additional thought... though this would require some code rewriting and such... would be to simplify the construction of these drivers by eliminating the different parts for the Network and Control nodes.  On launch, you could have the module check to see what order they are attached in and automatically select the proper node type.  You could also add a context menu option to allow the user to select which part to use as the control node which would then reset all the others to act like network nodes.  If you're interested, I could look into modifying the code for you to allow this to happen.

I would also think that adding a remote control unit that could be attached to a craft would be awesome.  This would be a small box-like part that could allow a user, on the craft that wants to be shot out, access the mass driver control unit remotely.  The code would simply search for a control node on a mass driver enabled craft within the range of the launch range plus a little leeway, and then pass commands to it.  I'd be interested in doing this as well if you'd like.

Edited by Gaalidas
I can't stop... it's a disease I'm sure.

On 3/3/2017 at 10:46 AM, dunebugmi said:

Since this thing needs to be elevated in order to get the payload underneath*, I'd like to hear about your (you the community) elevation methods.  

I found some really huge and wonderful tools for this in the Kerbal Foundries mod-- large tracks, giant wheels, and really long telescoping landing struts.  

I created a land, store, reposition payload under mass driver, and relaunch system that combines the wheels/legs from Kerbal Foundries with the VTOL hangar from Hangar mod (I used module manager to add "ground anchors" to a few parts so that the mass driver wouldn't launch my launchpads).  I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it normal to get heavy lag right as the mass driver activates? Like 1 frame every few seconds? After the mass clears the accelerator it goes back to normal.

On 4/29/2017 at 7:03 PM, mindseyemodels said:

why wont the mass driver arm? I am trying to arm it but it wont activate what is happening?

Is it powered?

Edited by ShadyAct

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, mindseyemodels said:

update required

did you see the way the person above you asked? much better way of putting it

Also, please don't go to 10 threads and say "update required". Us modders work for free because we enjoy it and we are nice enough to share our work with everyone. Saying something as rude as "update required" can and has made people quit kill their mods/quit modding completely. I get that you want your mods to be updated but you're doing it the wrong way. Take a minute or two, read the thread, see if the modder is still around, and then say something like "Hey I really love this mod, are you planning to update it to the newest ksp version?"

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ṃòṝɗóç said:

I found this mod thanks to Scott Manley, and i like the idea! Can't wait for 1.3 update! I really want to make science network, which will physically shoot fresh science straight into Earth for recovery.

I agree, therefore I compiled it against 1.3 and Uploaded it to spacedock.

Edited by FreeThinker

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2017 at 3:22 AM, FreeThinker said:

I agree, therefore I compiled it against 1.3 and Uploaded it to spacedock.

Thank you!  Awesome work as always FreeThinker!

My apologies to everyone I've been AWOL.  My laptop/craptop's internet card seems to have some kind of loose connection- it only sporadically works, as does one of the two USB ports (thankfully not the one with KSP installed on a USB drive- though I got stuck halfway through updating the game when the internet card went kaput for a few weeks earlier, and was unable to play it for over a month as a result), several of the keys on the keyboard, etc.

In short, I struggle to play KSP, or to access the internet at all from substandard, cheaply-made (in China, by HP) equipment not really meant for gaming at all.  And on top of that, I've been taking an EMT course (again, I took one 6 years ago and did student EMS for a while) since late May- so I've been rather focused on that.  Something about how I'll soon be quite literally having people's live in my hands being rather demanding of my attention: I don't want to take any shortcuts with the studying...

Finally, there's a chance I'll be spending the next two-plus years out of the country with little internet access.  I'll find out about that in the next month or so, and leave in about 5 months.  So if that ends up happening, I'll need somebody to take over this mod entirely from the time I leave next year.  FreeThinker, you have access to all the files, one of the two SpaceDock pages, and more than enough expertise- so of course you're my first choice for this if that ends up happening...

So much I do to try to make it to medical school and help make the world a better place by saving lives and providing medical care to the least fortunate who rarely get good doctors (I dream of helping poor/under-served communities).  We'll see if I ever make it.  Thanks so much anyways for all the help, insight, and advice you've all given me over these past years- especially you FreeThinker.  It's been a pleasure working with you.

Regards,

Northstar

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 2:05 AM, Northstar1989 said:

Thank you!  Awesome work as always FreeThinker!

My apologies to everyone I've been AWOL.  My laptop/craptop's internet card seems to have some kind of loose connection- it only sporadically works, as does one of the two USB ports (thankfully not the one with KSP installed on a USB drive- though I got stuck halfway through updating the game when the internet card went kaput for a few weeks earlier, and was unable to play it for over a month as a result), several of the keys on the keyboard, etc.

In short, I struggle to play KSP, or to access the internet at all from substandard, cheaply-made (in China, by HP) equipment not really meant for gaming at all.  And on top of that, I've been taking an EMT course (again, I took one 6 years ago and did student EMS for a while) since late May- so I've been rather focused on that.  Something about how I'll soon be quite literally having people's live in my hands being rather demanding of my attention: I don't want to take any shortcuts with the studying...

Finally, there's a chance I'll be spending the next two-plus years out of the country with little internet access.  I'll find out about that in the next month or so, and leave in about 5 months.  So if that ends up happening, I'll need somebody to take over this mod entirely from the time I leave next year.  FreeThinker, you have access to all the files, one of the two SpaceDock pages, and more than enough expertise- so of course you're my first choice for this if that ends up happening...

So much I do to try to make it to medical school and help make the world a better place by saving lives and providing medical care to the least fortunate who rarely get good doctors (I dream of helping poor/under-served communities).  We'll see if I ever make it.  Thanks so much anyways for all the help, insight, and advice you've all given me over these past years- especially you FreeThinker.  It's been a pleasure working with you.

Regards,

Northstar

I still have this on my list to give a full model and texture overhaul, for my own career as much as anything, I'd be happy to take on the mod if required.

On 9/19/2017 at 2:09 PM, dboi88 said:

I still have this on my list to give a full model and texture overhaul, for my own career as much as anything, I'd be happy to take on the mod if required.

Looks like the Peace Corps won't be taking me (at least not for the position they were considering me for...  I believe I'd have to re-apply to be considered for something else...) much to my ire and disappointment- it seems that EVERYTHING I apply for is snatched from right before me, even though I'm hardworking, have done nothing wrong, and am a highly-qualified candidate for most things I apply for...

So, the good news for you guys is I won't be spending 2 years in rural Africa without internet, and won't need somebody to completely take over the mod.

The bad news is my laptop is pretty much on its last gasp anyways (and the USB port I use for the mouse is no longer really working at all- making playing KSP *much* more difficult), I'll hopefully soon be starting a new job, a new (or rather old, used) car and apartment as an EMT, and I might not have much time (or patience) for modding- at least until I get a new laptop with a FUNCTIONING port for my mouse...

So, progress might be a little slow for a while, although I still mean to officially finish bug-testing Freethinker's port of the mod to the latest version of KSP and re-release it as the official new version of the mod (it appears to be working without issue, though, from my limited playtesting), and later, eventually, update the model to one of the extended-length part models (and configs I've been working on to go with it, if I can ever find where I put them...) that will allow players to build longer (and more powerful!) tubes with a more reasonable part-count...  This will comprise a new, not backwards-compatible release of the mod I hope to have out sometime in the next year (12 months, *not* Jan 2018).

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, wenth said:

is any one else having issues with the accelerators simply not firing. I can click ARM but then nothing changes. i dont get the secondary options to fire.

ripped every thing out and it works....some times.....most the time i click the arm button and....nothing happens....no more options show up or any thing

OK i think...THINK! i found the problem. it simply dosnt tell me if i dont have enough maximum energy to fire the coils so it looks like nothing happens.

Edited by wenth
problem found

On 5/27/2017 at 7:47 AM, Warsoul said:

Magnetic Planetary cannon designed to project Probes or Cargo modules into high atmosphere.

Concept Only

Can we work together on this ?

hay i built some thing like this with the current parts to launch cans of ore and gold into orbit for pick up.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Hs.Panda said:

what parts/mod are those ?

Kerbal Foundries (Was then RBI tracks), Mass Driver, B9 HL Parts,  Infernal Robotics (including the rework), and I think I had FAR on there at the time too.

34 minutes ago, Rivvik said:

Kerbal Foundries (Was then RBI tracks), Mass Driver, B9 HL Parts,  Infernal Robotics (including the rework), and I think I had FAR on there at the time too.

i'll have to look into those, i have a few of them but not all of them,

also, when you're stacking them like that do you use 1 accelerator, 1 networked, 1 accelerator, 1 networked,  or all networking?

4 minutes ago, Hs.Panda said:

i'll have to look into those, i have a few of them but not all of them,

also, when you're stacking them like that do you use 1 accelerator, 1 networked, 1 accelerator, 1 networked,  or all networking?

You only need one Accelerator as your first unit, the rest should be networked.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Most likely yes

Great! I will try it out soon and report back. Thanks for the port! Was looking for a mod like this a while back but couldn't find it until I stumbled upon a video of it. Really hyped to send a warp gate in orbit :D 

• 3 months later...