[0.90] KSP Tips v3.0.0.0 (Jan 18)

TriggerAu

KSP Tips - v3.0.0.0

Some ingame tips to help newer players find stuff

About

This plugin adds some popup tips to the KSC scene that can give newer players some ideas of useful tips and tricks. The basic install of it contains 40 basic tips - a mix of Career and Sandbox tips.

The plugin will once a day download the Tips.cfg file from this Guthub repository to update whats there as tips are added. They roll every 15 secs and you can skip forward and back and pause then - as well as dismiss the tips obviously

PluginPic.png

Version 2.0 Includes some awesome in game guide pages by ScottKerman from Reddit

Sourcing the tips

These were sourced in spare time during testing, but I've written this so tips can be added without requiring any new install.

If people have good tips they think could help players then please head over to the KSP Tips Submission Form

Installation

Simply unpack the KSPTips folder into the Gamedata folder of your KSP Install and you are done. Path will look like the below

<KSPDIR>/GameData/KSPTips/KSPTips.dll

Links and further Information

Download from GitHub or Download from Curse or Download from KerbalStuff

Source Code on GitHub

Network Connectivity Details

This Mod contains a tips updater. It is configured to check once a day for updated lists of tips from the github site. The technical details of it are as follows:

DT-OSILogo16.png This work is licensed under an MIT license as outlined at the OSI site

The Images by Scott Wright are used with his permission and licensed by him

Edited by TriggerAu

One issue though, it seems the GitHub release zip is somehow borked, I've been unable to decompress it with practically any tool and it fails CRC checks.

Ah, that would explain why netkan barfs on it too...

Wouldn't make it too easy for the rookies? I mean, tips are good, but why don't you let them find out or research themselves?

In your picture, I saw some tips are actually embedded in Training, and they just don't go there.

Or, you can add "This plugin may make you lose some interests of the game" or some similar warnings. :)

Edited by Wavechaser

*OVERUSED PHRASE INCOMING!*

This along with all of your stuff should be stock. A lot more useful that the official tutorial scenarios.

Overused Phrase is right...but it's true in this instance. Every mod TriggerAu makes; from Kerbal Alarm Clock to Transfer Window Planner, this mod to Alternate Resource Panel have all become necessary parts of my KSP install! Thanks so much for your hard work and sharing these things with us TriggerAu.

Im sure its a timing thing Chezburgar, sometimes we forget how few people are actually coding this game.

I've made a new zip v1.0.0.1 which looks different - which I hope means better. Let me know if anyone has issues with that - and I finally got through all the kerbalstuff hoops too

• 3 weeks later...

Version 2.0 is now here. It includes some awesome in game guide pages by ScottKerman from Reddit

These are the guides that he has published on reddit, and they are all included in v2.0:

And heres some pretty video pics to see whats going on:

If you have any new tips/ideas then feel free to shoot em in here

TriggerAu, this is looking really good.

If anybody has any questions or comments for the images, I'm the guy to contact.

I'm only like 20-25% done with what was my original plan for them, and the ones that are up are still getting some love.

If you think of something to add or find something confusing or just plain wrong, let me know. It's been awhile since my studies in orbital mechanics and engineering. Anyone can message me on reddit. I check there more often: http://www.reddit.com/user/ScottKerman/

TriggerAu, this is looking really good.

If anybody has any questions or comments for the images, I'm the guy to contact.

I'm only like 20-25% done with what was my original plan for them, and the ones that are up are still getting some love.

If you think of something to add or find something confusing or just plain wrong, let me know. It's been awhile since my studies in orbital mechanics and engineering. Anyone can message me on reddit. I check there more often: http://www.reddit.com/user/ScottKerman/

You'll come to love the forum too Scott :P.

Thanks heaps for the images youve made - they are really good

I'm toying with a delta-v map layout. Take a look at what I'm thinking about:

If the numbers look different than what you're used to seeing in delta-v maps, it's because they are based off of my old personal notes.

Wsp7R8r.png

EDIT: The distances are scaled logorithmically by delta-v.

EDIT: New image with red arrows.

Edited by ScottWright

If the numbers look different than what you're used to seeing in delta-v maps, it's because they are based off of my old personal notes.

http://i.imgur.com/ILbvtsr.png

I like the layout, the only thing I'd suggest is some indicator re the aerobraking so people know that applies in the towards Kerbin direction only, I'm sure some people will misread it as applying in both ways :wink: .

http://i.imgur.com/ILbvtsr.png

I think I'd remove the yellow, and just put a note that Kerbin-Capture\landing costs can be reduced by Aerobraking.

Excellent stuff as usual. Somehow I missed the pre-Christmas launch.

Time ... time ... time ... if I get any I could wrap the vehicle designs from my tutorial into a VAB/SPH guide. Would that be useful?

I know this isn't true for all players, but someone looking for mods is probably already somewhat familiar with the game. The people it would be the most helpful for are the least likely to actually have it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.