perform surveys

so i just started a new .9 game with NEAR, and the only contracts i can get are visual surveys.

to make matters worse they all have eva requirements, i can't get the jet engines, or eva upgrade this early in the game, so my progress has completely stopped.

with KPS's aerodynamics and the plane parts far up in the tech tree (for starting out anyways) these contracts are incredibly difficult to achieve.

my problem:

get a rocket to fly under 20k at a specific point

land at that spot

get a eva report (70 000$)

can you change them, so they only appear when we get relevant tech options unlocked? or give us options to block some types of contracts from appearing? i hated survey and asteroid missions in fine print, they were not difficult, but very annoying for meager rewards.

Edited by lIAceI

Early in the game you should be getting a maximum of two surveys at a time, in addition to part test contracts. The reason EVA objectives show up on Kerbin is because you don't need the EVA facility upgrade to EVA on Kerbin's surface. However, the first few surveys you get are focused surveys, and will never ask you to do any ground surveys, such as EVAs. They don't start showing up until you have progressed in the game a little bit.

Restricting the surveys until you receive jet engines would be fairly arbitrary, as they are not meant to be "plane contracts". They are very freeform, and can even be done from orbit, or suborbit with rocket test launches. (Keep in mind, you don't have to hit every waypoint in one mission.)

However, if you are not happy with the way things are set up, you can actually change them by cracking open GameData\Squad\Contracts\Contracts.cfg, scrolling down to the Survey section, and modifying the MaximumAvailable and MaximumActive settings there. While you are there you might want to check out the ARM section as well, to limit asteroid missions.

You could just dismiss them if you don't want to do them.

their the only contracts available, went through 50+, all surveys.

Early in the game you should be getting a maximum of two surveys at a time, in addition to part test contracts. The reason EVA objectives show up on Kerbin is because you don't need the EVA facility upgrade to EVA on Kerbin's surface. However, the first few surveys you get are focused surveys, and will never ask you to do any ground surveys, such as EVAs. They don't start showing up until you have progressed in the game a little bit.

Restricting the surveys until you receive jet engines would be fairly arbitrary, as they are not meant to be "plane contracts". They are very freeform, and can even be done from orbit, or suborbit with rocket test launches. (Keep in mind, you don't have to hit every waypoint in one mission.)

However, if you are not happy with the way things are set up, you can actually change them by cracking open GameData\Squad\Contracts\Contracts.cfg, scrolling down to the Survey section, and modifying the MaximumAvailable and MaximumActive settings there. While you are there you might want to check out the ARM section as well, to limit asteroid missions.

there were no part contracts.

the crew reports were suppose to be done under X altitude, with no plane parts, and multiple objectives.

i was able to break out by grinding science with what i had, but since these are entry level contracts i wouldn't expect a newbie to complete them.

imo, launching a rocket then letting it fall on the marked spot, with the beginning parts/facilities is more challenging than most later tier contracts, with far less rewards.

Ya its a little tough in that part of the game to get contracts that can get you going. Once you do the 2 Altitude and orbit contracts you usually don't have enough money to do the upgrades to get to better stuff.

You can actually do the survey contracts with a kerbal. Launch a cheap rocket to the first waypoint and land. Get out and do the other 2 or so waypoints. Its a little bit of a grind cause you have to do a bunch of these to get out of that hole. but after this the game takes off a little bit.

In my own mod I added a contract to fill this gap, then it goes away once you open up the Satellite contracts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.